PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Hurts for 48hrs post free workout

Simon Thornton
March 12th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I have been a Masters swimmer for the past 14 years and to date no swimming related injuries. I am a 55yo male who was swimming 3-4,000 yds a workout three times a week. I swam 3420 yards on 1/27 and that evening went to a law enforcement shoot we had a defensive tactics exercise that required punching a bag hard for several minutes. I then tried to swim an IM workout two days later and had to stop at 400yds due to severe pain in my right shoulder. I limited my swims and now can only freestyle for 1300 yds. I have no issues with pullups, pushups etc. Any shoulder pain from swimming which is prevalent when I raise my arm standing and bring it forward over my head is gone. saw an orthopedic who took some xrays and advised I was doing no damage and to let the pain be the limiting factor. Obviously an MRI would reveal more and I am working on that now. I am cyrrently swimming one arm freestyle workouts, breaststroke and lots of kicking. Any insights into this injury and suggestions for workouts to allow me to continue swimming albeit one arm or breaststoke? Thank you:)

mmlr38
March 13th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I don't have any insights into the injury, but perhaps a suggestion to help the pain diminish or go away. I used to have shoulder pain fairly regularly, but it usually wasn't so bad that it limited me. It was just uncomfortable most of the time and when it would get too bad, I'd take a few days off and it would go away.

But now I've been regularly doing rotator cuff strengthening exercises, normally twice a day, and I have been absolutely pain free since. Have you tried doing any shoulder strengthening exercises or physical therapy of any kind?

Simon Thornton
March 17th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Where might I find these rotator cuff strengthening exercises or a link to them. Thank you, Simon

mmlr38
March 17th, 2014, 01:07 PM
These are the ones I do, suggested to me by a physician's assistant and a physical therapist:

I do 20 of each of those exercises along with a couple more I made up myself, which I could try to explain if you're interested. But those 3 should be enough to get you healthy again.

During the internal and external rotation exercises, be sure to keep your elbow tucked against the side of your body.

FYI, I got that image from this page:
http://gymnasticsinjuries.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/rotator-cuff-tendonitis-and-rotator-cuff-tendonosis/