PDA

View Full Version : Short Workout questions

gmmcdon
February 10th, 2004, 03:04 PM
I began swimming again 12 months ago to get in shape and lose weight (80 lbs). I swam in HS (30 yrs ago). I am now swimming 5 -6 days a week for about 30 minutes. I am looking for some advise on a routine(s) that would get the most out of a workout of this length. I can stretch the routine to 45. I'm down 50 lbs and feeling pretty good, but need some advice on a good routine.

A couple things:

I have some shoulder issues but it seems to be getting stronger.
I currently swim:
- 10 minutes Breast
- 10 minutes Kick board/Freestyle mix with fins
- 10 minutes Breast/Back mix

I am looking for some suggestions that would give me some options to get a good work squeezed into my busy day, and help me lose my last 30 Lbs.

Thanks for any and all suggestions

Amman
March 7th, 2004, 05:20 AM
It sounds like your doing a great job. Have taken a look at nutrition. I recently read a great book called "The Power of Full Engagement" that contained pearls of nutritional wisdom. Exercise and diet coupled with mental toughness can lead to safe weight loss and successful weight management.

Venus
March 7th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I have taken the workouts posted by the coaches here and adapted them to my training time and needs. I actually have 1 hour to swim but including rest intervals I can only swim about 1 mile in an hour (1850 yds.) if I really work on form, include interval training, and drills because I'm a relatively slow swimmer. You didn't say what your yardage is, but I'd be happy to post some of my workouts if you think they might help you.

I have minor shoulder tendonitis and I'm training for a meet in May so my workouts are designed with those two things in mind.

Congratulations on your weight loss! Just let me know if you want me to post them or email them to you.

gmmcdon
March 7th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Venus

Thanks for the input. Since this posting I have increased my workout to 2100 - 2200 yds in a 55 minute workout. Shoulder is not giving me a problem so I'm doing different sets of free, kicks/fins & pulls (10x50 or 5x100 or 75x6 etc...). I'm getting ready to ad paddles for the pulls. I've increased that slowly and it seems to have worked. I'm actually ready to give the Masters group a try. They do 2200 - 3500 yds in 90 minutes depending on the talent level so I think I'm ready.

If you have any different ideas on sets, I'd love to hear them since I'll still need to drive myself 3 days a week. Nice to change things up.

email is gmmcdon@msn.com if you want to send any workouts ideas.

Thanks

Venus
March 7th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Email sent, hope that gives you something to work with. :)