PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Spring Nationals entry deadline - THIS THURSDAY 3/27

matysekj
March 24th, 2014, 11:37 AM
For all the procrastinators out there, the deadline for entry to the 2014 Nationwide USMS Spring National Championship in Santa Clara is this Thursday, March 27. Late entries are not accepted, so be sure to get your entries in by the deadline. It is quick and easy to enter online at https://www.usms.org/comp/onlineentry.php?MeetID=20140501SCSC-1Y.

The meet will be held May 1-4 in Santa Clara, CA. See www.usms.org/comp/scnats14 (http://www.usms.org/comp/scnats14) for the full meet details.

I can't believe it's this late in the entry period and we haven't had guesses yet for the entry total. Anyone?

mmlr38
March 24th, 2014, 12:25 PM
I can't believe it's this late in the entry period and we haven't had guesses yet for the entry total. Anyone?
Gonna break that 2000 swimmer mark this year!

knelson
March 24th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I'm going to say just short of 2,000. I'll guess 1,959.

I know a ton of people from my LMSC will be there, but I suspect many of the east coasters will choose to stay closer to home. It may not matter with how many swimmers there are in the Pacific and Southern Pacific LMSCs. It's going to be a big meet for sure.

jroddin
March 28th, 2014, 08:39 AM
That's it - just two guesses?

With one week to go there were just 946 entries (as of March 20).

Jeff

Glenn
March 28th, 2014, 10:49 AM
That's it - just two guesses?

With one week to go there were just 946 entries (as of March 20).

Jeff

With that bit of help, I'll say 1657.

scyfreestyler
March 28th, 2014, 11:08 AM

pwb
March 28th, 2014, 11:19 AM
1967, a great number (and year) by any measure.

knelson
March 28th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Forget about the number, where the heck are the psych sheets? :)

Glenn
March 28th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Forget about the number, where the heck are the psych sheets? :)

The psych sheets were out two months ago!!!

mmlr38
March 28th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Jeff, do you have an entry total for us yet?

And yeah...where the heck are the psych sheets :D

jroddin
March 28th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Jeff, do you have an entry total for us yet?

And yeah...where the heck are the psych sheets :D

The entry count won't be *official* until at least 7 days after the entry deadline (for any refund requests). While the count is not yet final, I can safely say it will be the 2nd largest USMS Nationals in history (behind Stanford from 1987).

Psych sheets could come out as early as next week. I'll have more data then. But FWIW we got ~500 entries in the last 24 hours entries were open. That is more than the whole first month entries were open.

Jeff

mmlr38
March 28th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Wow! And how many swimmers attended the 1987 Stanford meet? That almost surely means that there will be more than 2000 swimmers this year because the 2010 nationals had 1971 swimmers, right? And I'm guessing this means that the 6th event will likely be dropped?

I'm excited to see the pysch sheets! Hopefully they'll be ready sometime next week!

ElaineK
March 28th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Since I won't be going back out to California for Spring Nationals, I decided to stay out of the "Guess the Attendance" Game. Besides, PWB wins the contest every time, anyway, and I still owe him a couple of :chug: !

Good luck to all of you, and give my home state a big :smooch: for me. I'm saving my $ for Montreal and Maryland, and I hope to see a bunch of Forumites there! :bliss:

knelson
March 28th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Wow! And how many swimmers attended the 1987 Stanford meet?

http://www.usms.org/rules/appf.pdf

2,328 at Stanford. There have been three other meets over 2,000. All four have been in the Bay Area. Looks like we'll make it five this year.

And I'm guessing this means that the 6th event will likely be dropped?

A nice thing about the Santa Clara pool is that it has ten lanes. 20 lanes in use at once means 25% more swimmer throughput than 16, so maybe there's a glimmer of hope for our sixth events!

mmlr38
March 29th, 2014, 12:35 AM
2,328 at Stanford. There have been three other meets over 2,000. All four have been in the Bay Area. Looks like we'll make it five this year.
That was a huge jump in attendance in 1987. And it's amazing that attendance hasn't matched or bettered that number in the last 25+ years. I wonder why?

A nice thing about the Santa Clara pool is that it has ten lanes. 20 lanes in use at once means 25% more swimmer throughput than 16, so maybe there's a glimmer of hope for our sixth events!
That's great news! Fingers crossed :agree:

secondheart
March 29th, 2014, 01:29 PM
That was a huge jump in attendance in 1987. And it's amazing that attendance hasn't matched or bettered that number in the last 25+ years. I wonder why?

That's great news! Fingers crossed :agree:

Were there cuts in 1987? Was this the meet that triggered cuts?

Michael Blatt
March 29th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Pretty sure there were not 'cuts' in 1987.

And I think that was at least the start of a discussion about how to make Nationals meets manageable lengths. I recall the women's 500 free (or maybe some other event, but it was in the women's course) lasting until around 10pm.

orca1946
April 1st, 2014, 06:43 PM
Can't put up psych sheets until after the deadline, then they are listed.
I can't make this year but will look at the times for next year. Good luck to all!

knelson
April 1st, 2014, 11:50 PM
orca's humor meter is due for a calibration, I think.

orca1946
April 2nd, 2014, 06:00 PM
Indeed - meter has been subjected to 4 hip operations. too much titanium.

Allen Stark
April 3rd, 2014, 08:12 PM
So,what is the total number of entries?

Chris Stevenson
April 4th, 2014, 05:36 PM
So,what is the total number of entries?

http://www.usms.org/comp/heats/roster.php?MeetID=20140501SCSC-1Y

Midas
April 4th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Uhh... Is that THE Matt Biondi signed up to swim the 50 free?

http://www.usms.org/comp/heats/psych.php?MeetID=20140501SCSC-1Y&ev=10&x=M

trident58
April 4th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Uhh... Is that THE Matt Biondi signed up to swim the 50 free?

http://www.usms.org/comp/heats/psych.php?MeetID=20140501SCSC-1Y&ev=10&x=M

Yup, that's him. Sucks to be in his age group. Oh well, at least I'm not a sprinter!

knelson
April 4th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Not to mention Nathan Adrian, Matt Biondi, Josh Davis. It's going to be fun to watch! Too bad we can't get them all in the same heat.

I also noticed the sixth event is in.

Allen Stark
April 4th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I am amazed they got the psych sheets out so fast. Good job.

Couroboros
April 4th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Tom Shields is in, too!

This meet is going to be crazy!

knelson
April 4th, 2014, 11:32 PM
The Olympic Club is going to have some sick relays.

Water Rat
April 5th, 2014, 05:33 PM
If the Psych sheet is accurate I will be in Biondi's heats in both the 50 and 100 free. I will be right beside him in the 100free. I couldn't be more psyched by the prospect. This meet is going to be ridiculously fast. The depth is incredible.

pwb
April 5th, 2014, 05:43 PM
If the Psych sheet is accurate I will be in Biondi's heats in both the 50 and 100 free. I will be right beside him in the 100free. I couldn't be more psyched by the prospect. This meet is going to be ridiculously fast. The depth is incredible.Way cool.

orca1946
April 7th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Looking at the psych sheets - I would not have done well this year. Just like we say here in Chicagoland for the Cubs ---- "wait till next year!"

Frank Thompson
April 7th, 2014, 04:20 PM
If the Psych sheet is accurate I will be in Biondi's heats in both the 50 and 100 free. I will be right beside him in the 100free. I couldn't be more psyched by the prospect. This meet is going to be ridiculously fast. The depth is incredible.

Wow this is something. Two forum members on this thread will be swimming next to Biondi. You and Steve and both should get psyched and swim fast and just maybe one of you can surf off his drag if he swims to the left or to the right. Heck it worked for Duncan Armstrong 16 years ago. I will forever think of two terms that were used on this website about Matt Biondi. One was someone thought is name was Matthew Bond and the other was the term "flash in the pan". First off his name is not Bond and he is certainly is not a "flash in the pan". But because of the debates about this for about 2 weeks, for the rest of my life when I hear the term "flash in the pan" I think of him which is absurd. Old timers and veterans of this forum know what I am talking about.

sunruh
April 7th, 2014, 04:26 PM
yeah im just thrilled about his 1 foot head start

im so short compared to him the announcer may miss me altogether

but i bet matt doesnt have the power of ice cream like i do....and it shows! :D

thewookiee
April 7th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Wow this is something. Two forum members on this thread will be swimming next to Biondi. You and Steve and both should get psyched and swim fast and just maybe one of you can surf off his drag if he swims to the left or to the right. Heck it worked for Duncan Armstrong 16 years ago. I will forever think of two terms that were used on this website about Matt Biondi. One was someone thought is name was Matthew Bond and the other was the term "flash in the pan". First off his name is not Bond and he is certainly is not a "flash in the pan". But because of the debates about this for about 2 weeks, for the rest of my life when I hear the term "flash in the pan" I think of him which is absurd. Old timers and veterans of this forum know what I am talking about.

I never understood how someone that went to 3 Olympic games, won 11 Olympic medals, won several NCAA titles could ever be considered a "flash in the pan"

knelson
April 7th, 2014, 05:19 PM
The depth is incredible.

There are some fast guys in my age group, but many of the events look wide open based on the psych sheets. Hopefully there aren't too many sandbaggers!

scyfreestyler
April 7th, 2014, 07:16 PM
My curiosity led me to search for this thread that you speak of. I should have known who would be responsible for such commentary. :bolt:

Water Rat
April 7th, 2014, 07:54 PM
There are some fast guys in my age group, but many of the events look wide open based on the psych sheets. Hopefully there aren't too many sandbaggers!Oh I have seen a few. more than a few.

Water Rat
April 7th, 2014, 07:56 PM
yeah im just thrilled about his 1 foot head start

I bet when you add in the armspan, 1 foot becomes 18 inches!
I'm 6'1" and will feel short compared to him.