PDA

View Full Version : Another 50 meter pool bites the dust

dorothyrd
February 12th, 2004, 08:46 AM
I went to a public meeting last night concerning the aging 50 meter pool in Champaign. The park district has hired an architect who is planning a water park to replace it. Lots of zero depth, slides, sand areas, things that squirt water, a lazy river to float around on, ..... and oh, here is a 5 ft, 25 yard, 6 lane lap swim pool connected to the zero depth pool.

Another 50 meter pool bites the dust. Too bad, that is where I trained last year for my one and only long course meet in which I qualified for World Championships. I guess I will be going across town to Urbana where it is at least 25 meters and 10 lap lanes.

:mad:

jean sterling
February 12th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Bummer! How many of the six lanes will be set aside for water aerobics?

dorothyrd
February 12th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Not much talk about water aerobics or lap swimming, although they said senior citizens could get a good work-out walking against the current in the lazy river.

Lots of talk about parents in their chaise loungers being able to easily view their happy children putzin around in the zero depth pool. And how they would just turn their loungers as the sun turns and be able to continue to watch their kids. Lots of talk of sand playground, fun slides, things that squirt on you, oh and we will put in a 25 yard 6 lane 5 foot deep lap lane.

Trying to sell that Senior Citizens want to be able to walk to the lap pool instead of climbing up and down ladders, so zero depth pool is perfect for them because it is connected to the lap pool which means everytime a diaper leaks, the lap pool will shut down too.

How many Seniors are even going to visit this place?

urban
February 12th, 2004, 05:19 PM
It's aggrivating isn't it? Where I live in Palos Heights, Illinois, a similar water park proposal is currently in the works to replace the 50-meter pool. Its a summer-by-summer swim season for those of us who just love getting up at 6:30 am to swim for two hours with our small family of aquanots.

The real buzz kill is the already up-and-running water park in a nearby town....It all comes down to the mighty dollar.

Bumming for you too....
:(

dorothyrd
February 12th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Yep, Rantoul has a water park and they are a little town, so Champaign of course needs bigger and better. It is nice that they asked for input and we lap swimmers and team folk came out in force. We were a little bit patronized by the architec who probably has been doing these things all over the state. Sholem is one of 2 50 meter pools in central Illinois(not counting U of I because they won't let regular people use it).

My 10 year old daughter said this morning that after they get done changing all the pools to water parks, people will be tired of it and they well have to spend money to put pools back in. She wants a place to dive and swim underwater and goof around. She recognizes that a zero depth pool and water slides that she has to stand in line for are not what she wants. I guess she must be an oddity in kids.