PDA

View Full Version : Legal ways to cheat

ande
April 30th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I thought "LEGAL WAYS TO CHEAT" might be a fun topic for us to toss around.
Please share your ideas.
These need to be legal as opposed to "if you don't get caught."

Fresnoid
April 30th, 2014, 11:42 AM
If it's legal, how is it cheating?

jpetyk
April 30th, 2014, 11:51 AM
If it's legal, how is it cheating?
For example, one could puff their rescue inhaler BEFORE a race. It's not cheating per se, but it does give an advantage.

Allen Stark
April 30th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Dolphin kick in the BR pulldown is legal cheating.Dolphin kick in BR at a pause after separating the hands before the pulldown is legal,but even more cheaty.

__steve__
April 30th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Ask, beg, or even Bribe your competition not to show.

fatboy
April 30th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Before the current rule of one false start, I remember seeing one swimmer on a team intentionally false start to try and draw a competitor with him. His team mate would know it was coming and not go. On the second start, swimmers with one false start would generally be slower since they did not want to DQ.

It would work better now as anyone that went would be out of the event.

arthur
April 30th, 2014, 03:54 PM
If something is legal I wouldn't call it cheating but taking creatine, caffeine, or baking soda will make you swim faster.

Allen Stark
April 30th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Being born in December,but aging up in January for Meters.

That Guy
April 30th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Swim fly in free events. Eschew lap counters. Do open turns instead of flip turns. Do two hand touches in all events. Do not shave. Do not wear goggles. Start in the water instead of diving off the blocks.

thewookiee
April 30th, 2014, 05:41 PM
If something is legal I wouldn't call it cheating but taking creatine, caffeine, or baking soda will make you swim faster.

How does baking soda make you swim faster?

Rich Abrahams
April 30th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Supposedly, baking soda will buffer the blood and delay acidosis caused by intense anaerobic efforts. There is not a lot of solid research that I'm aware of on this. It can also upset your stomach iftoomuchis consumed.

__steve__
April 30th, 2014, 06:44 PM
NaHCO3:

"In sports[edit (http://forums.usms.org/w/index.php?title=Sodium_bicarbonate&action=edit&section=12)]Small amounts of sodium bicarbonate have been shown to be useful as a supplement for athletes in speed-based events, like middle distance running, lasting from about one to seven minutes.[39] (http://forums.usms.org/#cite_note-39)[40] (http://forums.usms.org/#cite_note-Ergogenic_Aids-40) However, overdose is a serious risk because sodium bicarbonate is slightly toxic;[41] (http://forums.usms.org/#cite_note-41) gastrointestinal irritation is of particular concern.[40] (http://forums.usms.org/#cite_note-Ergogenic_Aids-40) Additionally, this practice causes a significant increase in dietary sodium."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

I would stay away from it due to it's Na- content. It's like eating table salt

Re: Legal ways to cheat:
1) What about calling in sick from work just to hit the pool and gym for 4 hours?
2) Eating 3 - 4 fiber bars several hours prior to assist lower gut floatation
3) Breathing pure oxygen just prior to event
4) Entering NT for your event when it would be of benefit
5) Hugging the line adjacent to someone ahead of you
6) Smother yourself with a mucoprotein coating (fish slime). According to 102.12.1 E, since it's not an oil based compund, excessive amounts would be permitted.

I've only tried #1 but I'm not certain if it helped

arthur
April 30th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I can't remember the source as it was a few years ago that I read it but I think there was one study where most swimmers improved their 200m time by about 1% taking a table spoon of baking soda an hour before the event. There is also apparently a risk of it making you throw up.

That Guy
April 30th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Wear board shorts.

orca1946
May 2nd, 2014, 02:56 PM
Throw up in the lane next to you.
BR kick the swimmers on either side of during the race.

That Guy
May 2nd, 2014, 09:12 PM
Grow long hair. Do not wear a cap.

jim thornton
May 2nd, 2014, 11:10 PM
I don't know if this is legal cheating, or illegal cheating, or if it would help your times, or if it would be toxic to your skin. But has anyone tried ScotchGuarding themselves or using some kind of Teflon spray coating on the skin? Would it reduce drag of any sort to eliminate or lessen the hydrogen tension between water and skin? What is the rule on body oils? Years ago, some swimmers would coat themselves in Johnson's Baby Oil in the hopes of being more slippery in the water. Not sure if it worked, but it seems like it might help at least a little. Now that there's no smoking allowed on most pool decks, the likelihood of pool water igniting like the Cuyahoga River is dimished too, thank god.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtW8RkI3-c4

That Guy
May 3rd, 2014, 09:43 AM
After the starting beep, count five Mississippi before reacting.

__steve__
May 3rd, 2014, 09:58 AM
After the starting beep, count five Mississippi before reacting.doesn't work

That Guy
May 3rd, 2014, 10:22 AM
swim backwards.

swimsuit addict
May 5th, 2014, 11:37 AM
swim backwards.

Once when when I was playing around swimming breaststroke backwards after practice, I noticed my coach scrutinizing me and looking thoughtful. Turns out he was trying to puzzle out on what grounds he could dq it! He reasoned that the stroke itself might be legal, but that there wouldn't be any way to legally touch the wall with two hands simultaneously (while still remaining in the breast, hands not going below the waist and moving symmetrically etc) if you were swimming feet first ...

sunruh
May 5th, 2014, 12:09 PM
if you are over 5feet 10inches tall you are cheating!!!!! legally that is.

jpetyk
May 5th, 2014, 12:20 PM
I wonder if one could swim "crawl" backwards, and push off with the feet, and swim the next length forwards. Wouldn't that still qualify as "freestyle?"

Chris Stevenson
May 5th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Turns out he was trying to puzzle out on what grounds he could dq it!

I get that a lot in practice too. :)

TRYM_Swimmer
May 5th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I wonder if one could swim "crawl" backwards, and push off with the feet, and swim the next length forwards. Wouldn't that still qualify as "freestyle?"

Absolutely! As long as you touch each wall in a freestyle race, you can mix and match to your heart's delight. The Free leg of an IM is a different story.

Of course, you may be browbeaten for being a showoff!!!!!!

trexleradam
May 5th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Once when when I was playing around swimming breaststroke backwards after practice, I noticed my coach scrutinizing me and looking thoughtful. Turns out he was trying to puzzle out on what grounds he could dq it! He reasoned that the stroke itself might be legal, but that there wouldn't be any way to legally touch the wall with two hands simultaneously (while still remaining in the breast, hands not going below the waist and moving symmetrically etc) if you were swimming feet first ...
I think if you dropped your legs coming into the turn and reached behind yourself simultaneously with both arms you could have a legal touch?

swimsuit addict
May 6th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I think if you dropped your legs coming into the turn and reached behind yourself simultaneously with both arms you could have a legal touch?

i did float this idea by him. His take on it was that if your trunk is prone enough to still qualify as being "on the breast," extending your arms behind you to touch the wall before the rest of your body hit it would break the hands-not-past-the-hip-line rule. I'm not sure if I agree--not sure how the plane of the hip line would be defined if your torso was bent at the waist--but he looked as pleased as someone who had discovered a clever checkmate when explaining this. :)

I also wonder if a 3/4 forward somersault with a half twist off the blocks would be a legal start for such a swim. (not hatching plans, just curious ...)

Rob Copeland
May 6th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I think if you dropped your legs coming into the turn and reached behind yourself simultaneously with both arms you could have a legal touch?There is nothing in the turn rule that states the hands need to touch the wall first, only that “the touch shall be made with both hands separated and simultaneously at, above, or below the water level”
So theoretically, you could touch with your feet, then rotate your body and touch/push off with your hands as long as they are separated and simultaneously at the touch.

101.2.4 Turns and Finish—At each turn and at the finish of the race, the touch shall be made with both hands separated and simultaneously at, above, or below the water level. At the last stroke before the turn and at the finish an arm stroke not followed by a leg kick is permitted. The head may be submerged after the last arm pull prior to the touch, provided it breaks the surface of the water at some point during the last complete or incomplete cycle preceding the touch.

gull
May 6th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Enter NT for the 1650 so that you are seeded in the first and slowest heat on Friday night simply because you want to return to your hotel earlier and rest for Saturday's events.

That Guy
May 6th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Enter with impossibly fast times so you are surrounded by giants who lap you multiple times. Do this at Nationals so you can enter 6 events and swim backwards in all of them.

rxleakem
May 6th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Shave only the area under your swimsuit.

That Guy
May 6th, 2014, 10:19 PM
Wear hand paddles. On your biceps.

swimsuit addict
May 7th, 2014, 06:47 AM
So theoretically, you could touch with your feet, then rotate your body and touch/push off with your hands as long as they are separated and simultaneously at the touch.

Would you still have to limit yourself to symmetrical (looking) movements of your arms and legs while rotating around to touch with your hands?
I'm going to have to go to the pool and practice this now.:)

That Guy
May 7th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Stash a kickboard in your brief for extra flotation.

rxleakem
May 7th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Stash a kickboard in your brief for extra flotation.

:lolup: :banana:

__steve__
May 7th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Or you can remove the brief (with the kickboard inside) and fling it across the pool claiming it was you.

JamieSwims
May 8th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Wear hand paddles. On your biceps.

This is genius :applaud::D

That Guy
May 8th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Use an outboard motor. Words you don't want to hear from the next lane while you're waiting behind the blocks: "You have to prime it." So be the one saying those words, not the one hearing them.

fatboy
May 8th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Hide near the wall at the start. Project a hologram of Nathan Adrian's 41.13 100 in your lane, hit the touchpad when the hologram ends, and pretend to be winded!

__steve__
May 8th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Edited

For an improved hold on water with "isolated friction", never shave the palms of your hands.