PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Fancy Joining In?

UKswimmer
February 16th, 2004, 04:28 PM
I enjoy swimming regularly with my local team but due to the nature of my job I make up my pool time by going to public sessions. Not ideal but I take down sets to do and get on with it.

The thing is I just can't help getting other swimmers in the pool involved - I often rope in 2, 3 or 4 other people who perhaps came for a relaxing swim - next thing they know they are doing 100 IMS and hypox' breathing sets with me!

Today was even better - I got six swimmers doing relays! 50 FL - 100 IM - some of which hardly ever swim fly or race! The lifeguards couldnt believe it -

Does anyone else try to get other swimmers to join in on their schedules??

dorothyrd
February 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM
No, most people look at me crazy when I do fly sets. Wish you could come to my pool, it would be fun!

londoner62
February 16th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by UKswimmer
next thing they know they are doing 100 IMS and hypox' breathing sets with me!
I know what you mean. Tell me you live near St Ives, Cambs, please.

Paul

2go+h20
February 16th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I too train mostly at public length swims. So I have for years cajoulled others into the wonderful world of a fun workout. Now some may say I redefine the word fun. But at times I have 7 swimmers all doing the same workout.
Not only is it so much fun to have company, and be encouraged when the sets are tough, but it is the best use of a lane in a crowded pool .
I must admit I have a bit of a reputation for gathering the fold, and they all warn each other to look out or before you know it you will be doing those crazy open water swims as well!
Our lane is dubbed 'the olympic lane' which has had some great olympic stars (past and present) churn up the chlorine.
Over the past 5 years we had the world's fastest female 50 freestlyer, winner of the 2003 World Cup of Swimming , training in our tiny community pool.
Now that was inspirational and motivating.
"to motivate, add water"
"fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"

sparx35
February 17th, 2004, 03:40 PM
i wont stake personal claim to it but ive been swimming in local pool for 5 years now and when i first did workout lengths hardly anyone else did in public sessions..but in recent years particularly last year loads have been doing lengths..every time i go now theres always someone flogging it...i hope i inspired some of it...would be nice if this was true...maybe it is??

tjburk
February 18th, 2004, 01:21 AM
When I started swimming here, there was only one other swimmer. She swims mainly with the age group kids. Now there are a few more of us. Trying to cast my net and bring in a few more.

;)