PDA

View Full Version : Few Personal Concerns

TooPro
June 1st, 2014, 03:04 AM
I'm a practicing Muslim and Ramadan is coming up very soon so that means I'm gonna be fasting. And due to time constraints I can only swim at one very tiny pool that must be less than 12.5 meters. The problem is that I've worked hard on getting my times low and the championship meet I want to compete at lies the day after Ramadan ends. So I can compete, but I don't just want to compete I want to win. I'm a freestyle sprinter and I focus on the 50 free and 100 free with a little bit of phases on breastroke. The question is can I do it? In such a tiny little pool, I'll probably train using USRPT but I'm not even sure if the pool is 12.5 meters.. What can I do? I just need advice, I've worked my butt off just to get to this moment and my religion is in the way

TooPro
June 1st, 2014, 03:10 AM
Maybe like 20 feet. Like I just don't know what to do now..

chaos
June 1st, 2014, 07:15 AM
What can I do? I just need advice, I've worked my butt off just to get to this moment and my religion is in the way

This inquiry feels like a set-up.

Surely you can exploit some loopholes in your religious practice that allow you to adjust it to your lifestyle. Id site some examples here, but the moderators are probably already squirming.....

suphillips
June 1st, 2014, 08:52 AM
Can you get a power tower (http://www.totalperformance.org/power-tower), or something like it? I think you can get some serious sprint training over a pretty short distance with this. And I've often considered getting resistance bands (like the kind you tie around your waist and attach to a ladder or something) to use in small hotel pools when I travel and can't find another team to visit.

TooPro
June 1st, 2014, 10:54 AM
Can you get a power tower (http://www.totalperformance.org/power-tower), or something like it? I think you can get some serious sprint training over a pretty short distance with this. And I've often considered getting resistance bands (like the kind you tie around your waist and attach to a ladder or something) to use in small hotel pools when I travel and can't find another team to visit.
Could you link me to one of these resistance bands?
how would I make the workouts using that? And I'll still be doing my usual weight training.

Allen Stark
June 1st, 2014, 12:09 PM
Small hotel pools are a challenge. It is very hard to work on form and rhythm. You can work on turns and streamlining pretty well. At hotel pools I also work on kicking sets,pulling sets with no push off,vertical kicking sets,tread water sprints arms only(get as high in the water for 30 sec as you can) tread water sprints legs only(arms over head) etc.It takes ingenuity,but you can get a pretty goo workout.

TooPro
June 1st, 2014, 01:11 PM
Small hotel pools are a challenge. It is very hard to work on form and rhythm. You can work on turns and streamlining pretty well. At hotel pools I also work on kicking sets,pulling sets with no push off,vertical kicking sets,tread water sprints arms only(get as high in the water for 30 sec as you can) tread water sprints legs only(arms over head) etc.It takes ingenuity,but you can get a pretty goo workout.
I can try some of this stuff. I'm contemplating skipping 2 days
of fasting a week.. Ugh I'm just so unsure

trexleradam
June 1st, 2014, 03:28 PM
I have no opinion on if you should break your fast or not.
If you do, I'd like to point out that a lot of your speed can be maintained with much diminished exercise, particularly if you keep some sprinting. Short hard sprints against stretch cords could actually make you faster, as well. (See the Stretchcordz short belt). I've had a lot of friends take of for a few weeks and go faster than tapered times in short events.
Alternatively, there are other meets, not during Ramadan. It's one meet. So what?

__steve__
June 1st, 2014, 06:38 PM
20 feet is barely 6m.

You can still make the most of it with a little creativity. To sharpen turns, place a marker at the standard distance from wall to simulate the T markings (I have used ceramic tiles).

Just make the most of it and who knows, maybe it will work to your advantage since you likely have already done the training.

arthur
June 2nd, 2014, 11:27 AM
If you are reducing your calories significantly you need to reduce all forms of exercise. If you break down your muscles without the food to repair them you will rapidly get weaker. I think a valid fast allows you to eat as much as you want when the sun is down. You should try to maintain your food intake when you are allowed and exercise in the evening/early morning. Rest as much as possible during the day.

Celestial
June 2nd, 2014, 09:28 PM
my religion is in the way
This comment concerns me. For me, my religion is a way of life, not something that gets in my way, ever. If you are more concerned about the swim meet than Ramadan, then you have your answer, right there. If I am not mistaken, you do get to eat during Ramadan, but only at night, right? So this is not a complete fast by any stretch - you will still have calories coming in during the evening. I would recommend training at the crack of dawn, if your faith allows, because many of us swim before breakfast, and it doesn't affect my personal training at all. If you are allowed to drink water after you train, all the better. They do say that racing is 90% mental, so perhaps doing USRPT for the month prior to your event could be considered your taper. You can carb load on the day of the meet. Best wishes on your conflicted interests.

tpost2
June 3rd, 2014, 08:43 AM
This comment concerns me. For me, my religion is a way of life, not something that gets in my way, ever. If you are more concerned about the swim meet than Ramadan, then you have your answer, right there.

Hear, hear!

knelson
June 3rd, 2014, 11:44 AM
I would recommend training at the crack of dawn, if your faith allows, because many of us swim before breakfast, and it doesn't affect my personal training at all.

I think this is good advice. If it were me, I'd eat a big meal after sundown and again immediately before dawn and then train in the early morning.

FindingMyInnerFish
June 7th, 2014, 01:49 PM
This comment concerns me. For me, my religion is a way of life, not something that gets in my way, ever. If you are more concerned about the swim meet than Ramadan, then you have your answer, right there. If I am not mistaken, you do get to eat during Ramadan, but only at night, right? So this is not a complete fast by any stretch - you will still have calories coming in during the evening. I would recommend training at the crack of dawn, if your faith allows, because many of us swim before breakfast, and it doesn't affect my personal training at all. If you are allowed to drink water after you train, all the better. They do say that racing is 90% mental, so perhaps doing USRPT for the month prior to your event could be considered your taper. You can carb load on the day of the meet. Best wishes on your conflicted interests.

I can't add to the practical advice, but I actually do get this sense of religion being in the way. And for me it has nothing to do with my religion not being part of my life. Of course it is. But I'm also human, and sometime, yes, a conflict can arise between what my religion requires and something I want to have or do. And that something might not even be a bad thing--nothing wrong, for instance, with the OP's wanting to do well in a swim meet!--but the requirements set forth by a particular religion can sometimes complicate things. And finding a way to deal with those complications isn't unreasonable and doesn't mean you don't care about the religion. Often you care deeply or it wouldn't matter. For instance, the OP could decide that it doesn't matter and he'll skip the fast, in which case he wouldn't even have an issue. But as both swimming and his faith are important parts of his life and he wants to find a way to negotiate the conflict, the issue arises. TooPro, can't offer advice, but I wish you success! BTW, remember to pray about your issue too, so you find peace with the contradictions.

orca1946
June 8th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I think these are personal choices only you can make. As far as training dry land excersise will fill in during the off pool time. are vitamins considered food for you?

TooPro
July 2nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the advise guys.

But sadly my beautiful grandmother passed away recently, and I'm not even sure if I'm gonna attend the championship meet now. I only got one practice last week, and only am gonna be able to get two this week. (And yes I did decide to skip fast on 2-3 days a week of training until championship and just make up the fasts later, and pray to God for forgiveness, but then this came up :()
The motivation I had is just gone.. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when it comes time for the meet. I may or may not go, If I do go I'm gonna get destroyed.. I guess there's always next year.

loonytick
July 2nd, 2014, 07:13 PM
I'm so sorry about your loss.

orca1946
July 2nd, 2014, 08:20 PM
Family is very important - over most other things.

secondheart
July 2nd, 2014, 10:15 PM
Call me cynical, but I don't believe this.

TooPro
July 3rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
Call me cynical, but I don't believe this.
What kind of evidence do you want me to provide you? I don't like being called a liar when it's relating to the death of a really close family member..

secondheart
July 3rd, 2014, 04:31 PM
What kind of evidence do you want me to provide you? I don't like being called a liar when it's relating to the death of a really close family member..

I should have been more clear about my cynicism. My remark was not about the death of a relative but the initial comment

"I've worked my butt off just to get to this moment and my religion is in the way".

Certainly if you are very religious then giving up a swim meet because of a percieved conflict would seemingly be insignificant and predictable given the date of the meet, if not as religious then there would be no conflict. Either way asking advice from a general audience about a possible personal conflict is what I feel is not logical.

There is no malice intended, Sorry for passing of relative.

TooPro
July 4th, 2014, 02:32 AM
I should have been more clear about my cynicism. My remark was not about the death of a relative but the initial comment

"I've worked my butt off just to get to this moment and my religion is in the way".

Certainly if you are very religious then giving up a swim meet because of a percieved conflict would seemingly be insignificant and predictable given the date of the meet, if not as religious then there would be no conflict. Either way asking advice from a general audience about a possible personal conflict is what I feel is not logical.

There is no malice intended, Sorry for passing of relative.

Oh I see. Sorry for the hostility.
The reason I decided to ask on the forums was because if I was curious weather or not this would impact my speed to much or if working out in a small pool was enough. I was never expecting advise on weather or not I should skip the fast. I just wanted practical advice with what I could do with my current circumstances.

I feel as if my religion is hindering my swimming because I've spent a long time preparing for a meet like this, and I was really looking forward to posting some fast times. But at the same time my religion is very important to me.

DeniseMW
July 4th, 2014, 10:00 AM
My former karate instructor and many of his students observed Ramadan. They trained almost daily for two hours, and couldn't even take a drink of water. But they trained later in the day, so that they could eat and drink right after their workout, understanding they couldn't put the same effort in. But a young body is pretty forgiving. There must be some athletes who observe. Perhaps you might do a google search to see if any of them have posted advice. It's hard for folks who don't have to fast to offer suggestions.

Also, sorry for your loss. These things are always tough and take a toll.

Allen Stark
July 4th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I am sorry for your loss.My prayers go to you and your family.

DeniseMW
July 4th, 2014, 10:29 AM
TooPoo, I found this link: http://olympics.time.com/2012/07/12/how-to-compete-in-the-olympics-while-fasting-for-ramadan/ Might help.

__steve__
July 4th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Isn't the 50 a distance less likely to be effected from training gaps? Especially if you've already acquired the form, flexibility, and power.

Bobinator
July 4th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Hi TooPro-

You have my condolences on the loss of your loved one. May they RIP.
As far as your conflict between racing and religion, have you considered talking to a spiritual advisor or leader from your church? I'm guessing you may not be the only person in your congregation who has dealt with issues similar to this. Perhaps an experienced leader from your church could enlighten you in some way that would "make sense" in your life and help you feel less conflicted.
If your training and nutrition has been compromised it will affect your performance but maybe not as badly as you imagine it will. I'd give it a go and see what happens. Good Luck!

FindingMyInnerFish
July 5th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I'm so sorry. Might it help you perhaps to go to the meet anyway, even if just to volunteer? And if you swim, look at it less as "I have to achieve a particular time/place, but as celebrating your ability to swim, affirm life in the face of your pain. Sending kind thoughts...

TooPro
July 7th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Hi TooPro-

You have my condolences on the loss of your loved one. May they RIP.
As far as your conflict between racing and religion, have you considered talking to a spiritual advisor or leader from your church? I'm guessing you may not be the only person in your congregation who has dealt with issues similar to this. Perhaps an experienced leader from your church could enlighten you in some way that would "make sense" in your life and help you feel less conflicted.
If your training and nutrition has been compromised it will affect your performance but maybe not as badly as you imagine it will. I'd give it a go and see what happens. Good Luck!
I live in a really small town with no one available for me to consult. Thus all advice I have available is on the internet. My nutrition is not going to change at all. I consume the same macros and calories just in that shorter time span. Hopefully the couple weeks off won't effect it too much. I've given myself a week to train and not fast, that was basically the best I could come up with. I will make up all of the fasts as soon as possible, and just hope for the best. I thought about it a lot and this was the way that kind of relaxed both situations. While giving myself a week to train won't have me the fastest going into it, it'll certainly help.

Isn't the 50 a distance less likely to be effected from training gaps? Especially if you've already acquired the form, flexibility, and power.
I suppose so which is really good considering that's my best event.

I am sorry for your loss.My prayers go to you and your family.
Thank you, it means a lot.

My former karate instructor and many of his students observed Ramadan. They trained almost daily for two hours, and couldn't even take a drink of water. But they trained later in the day, so that they could eat and drink right after their workout, understanding they couldn't put the same effort in. But a young body is pretty forgiving. There must be some athletes who observe. Perhaps you might do a google search to see if any of them have posted advice. It's hard for folks who don't have to fast to offer suggestions.

Also, sorry for your loss. These things are always tough and take a toll.
The problem with swimming is everyone has that moment where they swallow like a gallon of water, or water might accidently come into your mouth. And due to pool timings it's impossible to fast and swim.

I'm so sorry. Might it help you perhaps to go to the meet anyway, even if just to volunteer? And if you swim, look at it less as "I have to achieve a particular time/place, but as celebrating your ability to swim, affirm life in the face of your pain. Sending kind thoughts...
Thank you. My Grandma always supported my swimming and was always so interested to see how I was doing in it. She's the reason I'm gonna to continue swimming. I feel like she would be proud of me to see me succeed in swimming, and I'm gonna use her as my inspiration to swim now.

Currently im on a bulk trying to put on weight and a lot of mass mainly odd looks/strength in the gym. Once I get pretty heavy I'm gonna cut down back to the weight I normally swim at but this time I'll have a lot more muscle mass and be much much much more lean and strong in the water and out. Considering I'm swimming like 40-45 pounds heavier then what I competed this whole year I don't expect ridiculously good times right now. Just slight gradual improvements. Once I'm done with the cutting phase those and back to my normal swimming weight in maybe 6 months time, I expect to be putting up some really good times. There's this team in my area who I compete with at the district level, who are ridiculously good and practice twice a day. I go to a team which is more about stating in shape it seems rather than swimming well :/ the guys who are fast and do two a days, I've always had the goal of beating them. And this will be the last year they ever do again.

knelson
July 7th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Currently im on a bulk trying to put on weight and a lot of mass mainly odd looks/strength in the gym. Once I get pretty heavy I'm gonna cut down back to the weight I normally swim at but this time I'll have a lot more muscle mass and be much much much more lean and strong in the water and out. Considering I'm swimming like 40-45 pounds heavier then what I competed this whole year I don't expect ridiculously good times right now. Just slight gradual improvements. Once I'm done with the cutting phase those and back to my normal swimming weight in maybe 6 months time, I expect to be putting up some really good times.

40-45 pounds? Wow, now that sounds extreme. I've never heard of anyone in swimming doing something like that.

TooPro
July 7th, 2014, 03:21 PM
40-45 pounds? Wow, now that sounds extreme. I've never heard of anyone in swimming doing something like that. At first I used to be pretty fat then I lost a lot and got pretty lean and swam a season and since then I decided to take advantage of the novice effect when it comes to wright training and put on a lot of mass very quickly I've put on 42 pounds as of this morning and I plan on young another 20 before I cut. This is mostly for astethic pleasure rather than swimming performance.also gained quite a hot of strength in the weight room.