PDA

View Full Version : speed issues

Lesley S
July 3rd, 2014, 10:00 AM
Hi all, new to the group. I have been swimming since I was 2, was in swim teams in elementary school. Lately doing open water swimming and races. I am too slow, and I dont know what I am doing wrong. I have endurance down and can swim miles without fatigue, never get anxious in the water and am almost more at home there than anywhere else!!. Just don't know what is wrong with my mechanics or technique. Can anyone recommend a really good experienced coach in Northern NJ who can assess my stroke and provide some guidance and coaching? Also, recommendations for club in Northern NJ area? I work full time so that is a consideration. I do mostly triathlon relays as I do not bike but I swim and run.

Many thanks!

ElaineK
July 3rd, 2014, 02:43 PM
:welcome: Although I can't help you out in recommending a coach or program, I would recommend asking somebody to shoot a short video of your swimming technique. Upload it to YouTube and post the link here. There are plenty of terrific Forumites who would gladly offer you constructive critique of your stroke and make suggestions on what/how to improve.

Good luck, Lesley!

Rob Copeland
July 3rd, 2014, 03:05 PM
Have you checked out the USMS Places to Swim?

The Berkeley Aquatic Club Masters in Berkeley Heights is an excellent program.

secondheart
July 3rd, 2014, 05:01 PM
I work out in 3 places in northern N.J., one of them is Berkley (Rob's former team). If you post more clearly your goals (such OW, pool swim,hard workouts,fitness swimming etc..), approximate abilities, and available time schedule I could ask around and give you some suggestions

Lesley S
July 7th, 2014, 10:05 AM
My goal is to improve my time in open water swim races as well as to be able to accomplish more during my pool workouts. Endurance is no problem, just the technique needs work. I do have a full time job but can be flexible as needed. early mornings or evenings are optimal. I am going to see if I can attend a masters coaching session by Jeff Jotz in Rahway, and maybe see if he can give me a private session as well. Thanks all!

secondheart
July 7th, 2014, 02:29 PM
My goal is to improve my time in open water swim races as well as to be able to accomplish more during my pool workouts. Endurance is no problem, just the technique needs work. I do have a full time job but can be flexible as needed. early mornings or evenings are optimal. I am going to see if I can attend a masters coaching session by Jeff Jotz in Rahway, and maybe see if he can give me a private session as well. Thanks all!

I practice with Jeff when I can get up earlier enough, he holds practice 6-7:30 at the address below Mon.-Fri., I may be there tomorrow ($8 a practice).

Outdoor summer Long Course Meters workouts will be held at the Ulrich Pool Rahway River Park Rahway, NJ beginning Monday, June 23rd