PDA

View Full Version : Best swimming "swedish goggles style" goggles?

riahc3
July 8th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Hello

Summer is coming up and I've always bought some cheap, minimum sunglasses style, goggles that were OK but always broke the strap before the end of the summer. 5 bucks and I was happy with them.

I will use these just to swim for fun, no competition or anything and they are hardly used. I just want some minimum protection against the sun but some of all to be comfy and easy to adjust/put on/use. I've spent timeless minutes adjusting goggles back and forth when I could have been swimming.

I wouldn't like to spend much on these, at max, 50 bucks. I know you probably use a lot more professional ones but I really don't want to spend more than 20. Like I mention, if they are worth it, 50 bucks max.

Thank to everyone for helping and your posts

jpetyk
July 8th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Check out swimoutlet.com They offer Swedish goggles for $3.55. They are not as expensive as they once were. If you are open to different styles of goggles, the Speedo Vanquisher series is also very, popular (and just as comfortable as the "sweeds" in my opinion). They retail between $12.95 and $22.95 in my local sporting goods stores.

flystorms
July 8th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Speedo Vanquisher 2.0 is my go-to goggle. They sit well and even after long swims, it doesn't feel like my eyes have been sucked out of the sockets. They have clear and tinted versions. Love 'em.

Oh and anything that says anti-fog is lying. That stuff wears off quickly. At least a remedy is cheap - do a dab of baby shampoo around the inside of the googgle before you swim and rinse it out. Keeps them fog-free for several hours.

sunruh
July 8th, 2014, 09:41 AM
i really like the TYR Socket Rockets 2.0
they fit just like the swedish googles i started wearing in the early 80's along with a rubber rim that makes them a lot softer on the eye socket. granted they still wont absorb someone throwing a water bottle into your face.
however, it seems tyr has removed the blue lense version (which i have used in the winter for years now) and only leave clear/pink/red/smoke for indoor options. besides the very nice and dark mirrored versions for outdoors.

steve

knelson
July 8th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't like to spend much on these, at max, 50 bucks

You should be able to get at least ten pairs of Swedes for $50...

DeniseMW
July 8th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Thank you for the recommendations. I have three pairs of alleged anti-fog goggles that fog up after about 10 min. so I got some of that anti-fog stuff to put in my cheap goggles. I didn't know about baby shampoo. They fit well. The gasket is soft and doesn't leave a huge mark unlike the less expensive goggles, but the anti-fog is a load of horse hockey.

I'm going to check out the two recommended Swedes. When I tried a couple of pairs on I was almost afraid to take them off.

hnatkin
July 8th, 2014, 12:02 PM
If you want easy adjustment, consider purchasing a bungee strap in addition to the goggles. Makes goggle adjustments very easy and it doesn't break.

sunruh
July 8th, 2014, 12:43 PM
the nose strap (unless you use the swedish string) is the 1st to go...well at least in the water i swim in.

yes the bungee lasts a lot longer time, but doesnt feel the same on your head. pro/con

poolraat
July 8th, 2014, 02:37 PM
I've been using the swedes for a few years now and really like them. When the straps that comes with them breaks I use bungee straps for replacements. I have found that for long swims (an hour or more continuous) they do become a bit uncomfortable and then I use the Vanquisher or a similar goggle made by Tyr.
As far as anti-fog goes, I've been making my own solution for several years and never have a fogging problem. It's an easy mix, 1 oz water, 1 oz rubbing alcohol, and a big drop of baby shampoo. Mix in a small spray bottle and spray on goggles after each use.

ElaineK
July 8th, 2014, 04:06 PM
As far as anti-fog goes, I've been making my own solution for several years and never have a fogging problem. It's an easy mix, 1 oz water, 1 oz rubbing alcohol, and a big drop of baby shampoo. Mix in a small spray bottle and spray on goggles after each use.

Do you rinse the solution off with water and wipe the goggles dry afterwards?

poolraat
July 8th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Do you rinse the solution off with water and wipe the goggles dry afterwards?

I don't. After I swim I rinse my goggles in clear water, blot them dry, spray on the solution, and let it dry.

StewartACarroll
July 8th, 2014, 08:10 PM
i really like the TYR Socket Rockets 2.0
they fit just like the swedish googles i started wearing in the early 80's along with a rubber rim that makes them a lot softer on the eye socket. granted they still wont absorb someone throwing a water bottle into your face.
however, it seems tyr has removed the blue lense version (which i have used in the winter for years now) and only leave clear/pink/red/smoke for indoor options. besides the very nice and dark mirrored versions for outdoors.

steve

So the big question is, are you going with the pink ones at your next indoor meet?

ElaineK
July 8th, 2014, 08:39 PM
I don't. After I swim I rinse my goggles in clear water, blot them dry, spray on the solution, and let it dry.

Thanks, poolraat! I'll give it a try. :agree:

rxleakem
July 8th, 2014, 10:51 PM
I used to live sweedes as a kid, until my vision started to tank. I am still waiting for an optical version :)

riahc3
July 9th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. I went with these:

http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/products/eye-protection/69-kayenne-regular-fit-smoke-lens

Smoked lens, green and black.

Not only do I love the colors, I also have read that these are great.

sunruh
July 9th, 2014, 09:08 AM
So the big question is, are you going with the pink ones at your next indoor meet?

why, you wanting to know now if you are gonna get beat by pink goggles? :D:D:D
i wish the lenses were big like my motorcycle racing goggles. i've got a pair that has a hologram of zombie eyes on them. looks really freaky when someone sees them on in my helmet.
would love to take a breath during a race and lock eyes with you like that stewart....oh wait you might get out at the 175 again.:bolt:

sunruh
July 9th, 2014, 09:10 AM

http://www.aquasphereswim.com/us/products/eye-protection/69-kayenne-regular-fit-smoke-lens

Smoked lens, green and black.

Not only do I love the colors, I also have read that these are great.

colors are one thing.
fit and thus no leaking are the real name of the game.
everybodys face is different and nothing matters till they are on your face and in the water. or off a dive.

DeniseMW
July 9th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I own three of the Kayenne Aquasphere goggles and they're incredibly comfortable. However, they are not that anti-fog. I'm not sure how to keep them from fogging up, but if I rinse them in cold water before getting into the pool it seems to help.

knelson
July 9th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Hope you like them, but weren't you asking about Swedes? Those are pretty much the polar opposite of Swedish style goggles.

StewartACarroll
July 9th, 2014, 09:50 PM
why, you wanting to know now if you are gonna get beat by pink goggles? :D:D:D
i wish the lenses were big like my motorcycle racing goggles. i've got a pair that has a hologram of zombie eyes on them. looks really freaky when someone sees them on in my helmet.
would love to take a breath during a race and lock eyes with you like that stewart....oh wait you might get out at the 175 again.:bolt:

Nothing like looking at the world through rose tinted lenses Mr Unruh ;)

Now the zombie eyes would be funny.

No comment about the color of my jammer Mr Unruh. Enough said.

orca1946
July 9th, 2014, 11:29 PM
I can't use sweeds cuz they make my contacts pop out! Speedo Vanquishers are my choice.

riahc3
July 10th, 2014, 02:32 AM
Hope you like them, but weren't you asking about Swedes? Those are pretty much the polar opposite of Swedish style goggles.

I got confused, sorry. What style are these google's Ive bought?

riahc3
July 10th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Received them today. Its the green/black version and I ordered the smoked lens but they look very blueish.

sunruh
July 10th, 2014, 08:21 AM
What style are these google's Ive bought?

dont know what i would call them, but they are certainly not the swedish style which is...a completely solid, hard, transparent, no foam, goggle lense that fits *in* the eye socket. the tyr version called socket rockets add a small thin layer of rubber to the eye socket area but still fits completely in the eye socket.

these that you have the bottom part looks to ride on the upper cheek bone. and might be called ultra mini mask.

knelson
July 10th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Yeah, here's a photo of Swedish goggles: http://www.isport.com/images/guide/18169708272010100708.jpg

riahc3
July 17th, 2014, 03:52 AM
Havent gotten a change to correctly test them out (bad weather) but they do not leak and fit great

riahc3
July 28th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Finally got to test them out.

I highly recommend these swimming glasses. VERY comfortable. I was about 2 hours with them on and never felt the need to take them off because they were bothering me.

The glasses are just great.

lilyvale
November 5th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Never heard of that. I use shampoo to de-mist the mirror in the bathroom but never thought of using it in goggles. What exactly does the alcohol do?

dt28
November 6th, 2014, 08:06 PM
I use fishing wire for the nose strap on Swedish goggles, and that makes them last a very long time!!!!!

And A3 Performance make a really comfortable version of the Swedish goggle. Their goggle isn't as tough on your face because it has a slightly softer plastic.

orca1946
November 8th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Baby shampoo does the anti-fog trick in most goggles.

blackone
November 12th, 2014, 02:19 PM
This may sound strange, but I usually buy if there are discounts