PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a watch to use for interval training in pool

shera
July 20th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Hi, I work out on my own at a pool that does not have a pace clock. I'd like to get a waterproof watch for my swimming practices so that I can work in some interval training. Does anyone use one that they can recommend? I'd something that is simple to use and not too expensive. Are there particular features that you've found very useful during your practices?

Thanks!

realAlbertan
July 20th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Tempo trainer pro...

Allen Stark
July 21st, 2014, 12:39 AM
I use the Timex Ironman.Practically indestructible and easy to use.

Syd
July 21st, 2014, 04:33 AM
If you want to use it for interval training, then I second realAlbertan's recommendation of the Tempo Trainer. Nothing beats the Tempo Trainer for convenience and accuracy when it comes to setting intervals. No need to lift your head and look at a clock at all. Just listen for the beep and off you go. Especially convenient if your eyesight isn't good. I use mine in conjunction with a watch (poolmate) with which I can record my times, stroke count, total yardage, etc. Have to say, I wouldn't use a pace clock again even if there was one at the pool I swim at.

Swimosaur
July 21st, 2014, 08:20 AM
Watches: I have trouble seeing the small digits on watches without my glasses, through foggy goggles. For some reasons, the various watch manufacturers choose to make the "seconds" digits extra small. I can't see them at all. I'm not a fan of watches.

Pace clocks: I use a Pace Pal (http://mypacepal.com/) pace clock. It's simple, effective, portable, and you can even put it underwater, which I find particularly good for long axis interval sets. Admittedly, it's a bit pricey. But a pace clock is the one indispensable tool for training. This is my pick.

secondheart
July 21st, 2014, 12:38 PM
I second realAlbertan's recommendation of the Tempo Trainer (keeps you honest and times are consistent for 25s and 50s)

Karlene
July 21st, 2014, 04:20 PM
I second Allen's recommendation of a Timex Ironman. Very inexpensive (under $35), easy to use, and lasts forever. You can use the timer function for interval training.

shera
July 21st, 2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

Phillip Luebke
July 22nd, 2014, 12:32 AM
PaceWatch. Slim. Simple. Easy to read. http://brilliantswim.com

Swimosaur
July 22nd, 2014, 10:09 AM
PaceWatch. Slim. Simple. Easy to read. http://brilliantswim.com

This looks interesting. I noticed you can also get it through SwimOutlet, here (http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/brilliant-swim-pacewatch-8117784/).

Anchorblast
July 22nd, 2014, 01:20 PM
Timex Ironman and Casio G-Shock are both good watches. There's probably more 'streamline' watches out there, but for the price those two are my favorite. Durable and full of features.

pwb
July 22nd, 2014, 05:54 PM
I recently acquired a Garmin Swim watch and have worn it in a couple of workouts. I'm not yet ready to write a review, but, what I will say is this: my biggest phobia about swimming with a watch would be that I'd feel it and it would annoy me. The Garmin Swim is quite sleek and I completely forgot I was wearing it.

I haven't done enough swims with it yet to know if the metrics that it tracks are going to add value to my training, but my hope is that it becomes a good training tool, much like fins or paddles: something I wear some times during a workout to achieve a specific outcome.

GregJS
July 22nd, 2014, 11:28 PM
I have a Garmin as well. (I actually got it because my Timex Ironman kept dying.) It has a setting - called "rest timer" - that allows it to work especially well as a pace clock. You just have to remember to press a button at the start and stop of each repeat.

Jlvs2run
May 3rd, 2016, 10:28 AM
I use the Timex Ironman.Practically indestructible and easy to use.

Timex have a history of leaking, fogging, and bands breaking.

Which ones are best for swimming and not leaking?

Sojerz
May 3rd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Timex have a history of leaking, fogging, and bands breaking.

Which ones are best for swimming and not leaking?

I've had the Timex Ironman Triathlon for about three years and keep it on always. I use it in pools, lakes, and gym. The numbers are big and its relatively easy to use. I read the same stuff about it and was a little hesitant, but the price is low, so even if it didn't work it didn't seem like I'd over invested. In three years of continuous use it hasn't leaked, fogged, and the band hasn't broken. Still on the same battery too.

In the pool I just let in run in "chrono" mode most of the time - like a digital pace clock, but it does have a limited memory that will record and allow one to recover times. I use it in my lake swims to record lap times around the course and the ri between laps. It is a little harder to read treading water out in the lake and to remember the lap times.

Jlvs2run
May 3rd, 2016, 01:17 PM
I read the same stuff about it and was a little hesitant, but the price is low, so even if it didn't work it didn't seem like I'd over invested. In three years of continuous use it hasn't leaked, fogged, and the band hasn't broken. Still on the same battery too.

Thanks. Which model do you have?

I'm thinking to get the t5k692 or t5h581 as they have 38mm faces, i.e. not too big.

ForceDJ
May 3rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
I concur with the TIMEX Ironman recommendations above. I've used them for decades and love them. Additionally, it's been my experience that TIMEX has great customer service. If the watch is under warranty they will fix or replace it for free (providing you have it registered on their website). I had to do this once. Not wanting to be without my watch for two weeks or more...they sent me a loaner. And they provided pre-paid packaging for all shipping. The other time the watch wasn't under warranty. In that case, If they can't fix it, they will sell you a new one for something like half MSRP.

The key to keeping water out of it...or just about any waterproof watch with push buttons...is to NOT push the buttons under water. Otherwise...work well. Last long time.

Dan

Gary P
May 3rd, 2016, 02:29 PM
I have a Speedo watch that has a programmable interval timer, with up to 10 sub-intervals in a cycle. It also has an option to beep, vibrate, or both. I set it for both, and wear it with the face on the inside of my wrist which is more sensitive to the vibration.

For distance training, I set it to repeat the targeted pace per 25. I know I should hear/feel the beep/vibration as I'm streamlining off the turn.

For shorter race-pace sets, I set an interval for the targeted touch time, followed by another for the rest time. I know I should feel the vibration on my wrist just after I touch the wall. I then watch the count down on the watch face, duck under when there's ~2 seconds left, and push off as soon as I hear the beep.

Unfortunately, this model has been discontinued, and none of the newer Speedo watches that I've seen have the same feature set. I don't know what I'm gonna do when this one finally gives up the ghost. :(

Sojerz
May 3rd, 2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks. Which model do you have?

I'm thinking to get the t5k692 or t5h581 as they have 38mm faces, i.e. not too big.

I can't find the model no. on my watch and when I checked out the Timex website it looks like they have all new models. Mine is called a Timex Ironman Triathlon 10 Lap, which doesn't seem to exist anymore. I looks like the t5h581 but seems pretty much the same as the other watch you posted too. The outside diameter of my watch measures about 38mm and the actual inside face measures about 24 mm. I got it at a local running store so I could see it and check it out.

Jlvs2run
May 3rd, 2016, 09:30 PM
Thank you for the helpful comments.

I've ordered the T5K823 model, for $20 on Ebay.

Jlvs2run
May 10th, 2016, 10:36 PM
The Timex Ironman has a nice display, but no memory. It keeps only the last interval splits until reset, nothing else. The watch is no use to me, and I passed it to a friend. In the meantime, I've discovered my kitchen timer on a small stand at the end of the lane is much easier to see than a watch, and quite useful along with my casio.