PDA

View Full Version : calories per swim day

sparx35
February 24th, 2004, 03:20 PM
how many calories do you consume on an average swim day???i think im around the 3000mark or less,maybe 2500 on non swim days..

Scansy
February 24th, 2004, 04:46 PM
I don't count calories, but if I did it would be all over the place. Some days I am good, and some days I am not:D !

I have found that as long as I do 4 or 5 times a week 2500-3000 yards, mixed strokes/drills/kick, that I can eat almost anything I want and maintain my weight, and if I have several good days in a row eating I drop 2-3 pounds. But I am 34 years old and am told that will change at about 40.

eliana2003
February 24th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I don't even want to go there..... *burp*

sparx35
February 25th, 2004, 05:25 PM
swim....eat.....swim....eat....swim...i think i 'm gettin it...

jim thornton
February 25th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Mr. Sparx:

Do you ever eat roast beef and Yorkshire pudding after practice? Perhaps with horse radish sauce?

My mother used to make the best Yorkshire pudding in the world. I am somewhat inebriated, drinking 22 ounces of stout ale made by my home-brewing buddy and swim teammate Bill, a couple hours now after practice.

Your question about differential caloric intake is a very interesting one. I have noticed I do not eat the same amount every day, not even close. I tend to pig out on the weekends, then eat less during the week. Swimming practice days--M W F for our team's official workouts -- I've taken to eating large lunches to prevent bonking during practice. But then I get home pretty late, and often end up drinking my dinner--case in point tonight's stout beer.

Of course, the drinking dinner often stimulates the appetite for solid foods, but it's too late to cook anything, so I find myself fantasizing about foodstuffs beloved from yesteryear. Memories of which are easily triggered by such items as your location, i.e., Yorkshire, England, i.e., home of the pudding that made the British race famous among beefeaters world wide!

This is probably a bit off the subject of swimming, but what is REAL yorkshire pudding like in Yorkshire Endland? Is it sometimes confused with manna?

I am starving all of a sudden.

Phil Arcuni
February 26th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Jim, as another frequent poster, I know that there are a few posts that I regret in the morning . . .;)

eliana2003
February 26th, 2004, 05:45 AM
"Do you ever eat roast beef and Yorkshire pudding after practice? Perhaps with horse radish sauce?"

never mind that, sparx, what about chips and curry sauce (or even gravy)?? I'm dying for a kebab... with chips and curry sauce...
:(

sparx35
February 26th, 2004, 05:08 PM
The traditional Yorkshire way of eating Yorkshire pudding is to eat yorkshire puddings in gravy before the main course....
the idea is to fill up on relatively cheap food then you dont eat so much beef..which is more expensive...us Yorkshire men are shrewd when it comes to expenditure...we even have a saying...
SEE ALL HEAR ALL ,SAY NOWT,
EAT ALL DRINK ALL ,PAY NOWT,
AND IF THA EVER DOES OWT FOR NOWT
DO IT FOR THEE SEN.
Yes real yorkshire pudding is very nice..my mum does real nice ones..

Phil Arcuni
February 26th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Dear Mr. Sparx35,

I had a thesis advisor from Yorkshire, but he always tried to speak BBC English. The only time I heard his native tongue was when he stubbed his toe . . .

So excuse me, is this what your saying means?

See everything, hear everything, but say nothing,
eat everything, drink everything, but pay nothing,
And if you ever do something for nothing,
Do it for your son (?)

I guess it makes sense, keeping whatever you do in the family.

I do miss fish and chips (not very crispy) with malt vinegar and ginger beer. That was my diet when I cycled through York many years ago. On the other hand, stewed tomatoes and bangers have to go down as the worst breakfast food ever conceived.

Mark in MD
February 26th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Sparx35,

Hmm. The discussion of Yorkshire Pudding started up my wish list to visit your country. Someday, I would like to visit Blackpool and do three things that are favorites: ride the trams, do some open water swimming and visit the Tower Ballroom to hear (maybe play?) the Mighty WurliTzer. Not a bad trip at that.

Of course, there's visiting the National Tramway Museum at Crich, in Derbyshire. My wife can stay in London to check out the Royals.

Cheerio.

Mark

sparx35
February 27th, 2004, 03:17 PM
yes the tower ballroom is good,was there this last fall(autumn)just after the switching on of the lights..
as for "if tha ever does owt for nowt do it for tha sen"you made me laugh...you got the rest right...tha sen means yourself!!!!lol....lol....lol....

sparx35
February 27th, 2004, 03:20 PM
tha sen...thee sen is same just different dilects..in case your wondering...