PDA

View Full Version : Nationals?

Swimspire
August 12th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Who will be at Nationals this week? I'll be there Thursday through Sunday. Looking forward to meeting some of you in person! :)

Julia

swimshark
August 12th, 2014, 08:21 PM
I will be there Wed, Friday, Sat and Sun swimming with VMST.

aguins
August 12th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Can someone tell me about any flooding there?

tpost2
August 12th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Can someone tell me about any flooding there?

Are you driving or flying? Looks like if your flight is on time you should be fine. As far as I can tell, major roads between OH and MD are fine (there are a few secondary road closures in the area, but nothing that would prevent access to the College Park pool). If we don't get any more rain tonight, things should be back to normal by tomorrow. Safe travels!

DeniseMW
August 12th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Hi, Julia: I will be there probably Thursday and Sunday, but as an observer. I don't know anything about the layout or where I'll be sitting, or how to find and recognize folks, having never met anyone from the boards.

ElaineK
August 12th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Who will be at Nationals this week? I'll be there Thursday through Sunday. Looking forward to meeting some of you in person! :)

Julia

I would love to meet you, Julia! :agree:

I went to Quebec after Worlds, so I will be flying out tomorrow and arriving to the pool late tomorrow afternoon. I didn't make NQT's this time around, so I will only be swimming 3 events and relays: 200 fly, 400 IM, and 200 breast. Look for me around the pool; I'll be easy to spot in my colorful international flags Sporti suit and Georgia Masters cap. :D

jpetyk
August 12th, 2014, 11:12 PM
I will be there Thursday thru Saturday morning.

ALM
August 12th, 2014, 11:22 PM
I will be there later in the day on Thursday, then Fri-Sat-Sun. I am the USMS Membership Director and I would love to meet as many of you as I can. I'm only entered in a couple of events (shoulder issues) but I'll be around. There are a couple of photos of me on my swimmer profile page (http://www.usms.org/people/JHAWK) so you can see what I look like.

Anna Lea Matysek

ElaineK
August 13th, 2014, 09:37 AM
I will be there later in the day on Thursday, then Fri-Sat-Sun. I am the USMS Membership Director and I would love to meet as many of you as I can. I'm only entered in a couple of events (shoulder issues) but I'll be around. There are a couple of photos of me on my swimmer profile page (http://www.usms.org/people/JHAWK) so you can see what I look like.

Anna Lea Matysek

I'm looking forward to seeing you again, Anna Lea! We'll be together in the 200 breaststroke again-- brings back memories of Georgia Tech in 2010 (my first Nats.)! :D

Swimspire
August 13th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Can't wait to see you all there! :)

mmlr38
August 13th, 2014, 11:42 AM
So bummed I'm not going! Had singed up but got in a bad bike wreck three weeks ago (broken collar bone, broken scapula, 4 broken ribs, lots of lost skin, concussion, etc.). I'm out this year, but I'll be back (hopefully)!

Have fun everyone! I'll try to catch some of your swims online.

Sojerz
August 13th, 2014, 05:03 PM
So bummed I'm not going! Had singed up but got in a bad bike wreck three weeks ago (broken collar bone, broken scapula, 4 broken ribs, lots of lost skin, concussion, etc.). I'm out this year, but I'll be back (hopefully)!

Have fun everyone! I'll try to catch some of your swims online.

Wow mmlr38 - thought I had it bad with a spiral fractured femur from a nasty cycling crash 5/23 that blew up the summer and any chances of Montreal and Md LCM Nationals. Frustrating, I know. Hope you heal quickly.

mmlr38
August 14th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Wow mmlr38 - thought I had it bad with a spiral fractured femur from a nasty cycling crash 5/23 that blew up the summer and any chances of Montreal and Md LCM Nationals. Frustrating, I know. Hope you heal quickly.
Yowza! That femur fracture sounds painful and very frustrating too. I can at least still walk (and ride stationary bike, but I've only walked so far), so that's helping keep me somewhat sane. I can't imagine having a leg injury that would also prevent me from walking or doing anything with my leg. I'd probably lose my mind!

I have to admit though that yesterday was my lowest day yet since the wreck. I think it's because I was supposed to be swimming the 1500m free yesterday in Maryland. I was seeded first in my age group (M35-39) and had a good chance of repeating as national champion (won the 1500, 800 and 400 in Mission Viejo last August). I was so sad to not have that opportunity. And then I let my mind wander and started wondering if I'll actually be able to make a full recovery or if I might have a permanently limited range of motion or some other limiting damage that would be very long term or permanent. I know I shouldn't think about such things, as only time will tell what will happen. It's just scary at this point because I really can't lift my arm much.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread will all of this sad stuff! I hope people who are there are having fun and meeting lots of nice people. I'm sure they are, as that's what I've come to learn happens at every USMS event.

Allen Stark
August 14th, 2014, 11:51 AM
Yowza! That femur fracture sounds painful and very frustrating too. I can at least still walk (and ride stationary bike, but I've only walked so far), so that's helping keep me somewhat sane. I can't imagine having a leg injury that would also prevent me from walking or doing anything with my leg. I'd probably lose my mind!

I have to admit though that yesterday was my lowest day yet since the wreck. I think it's because I was supposed to be swimming the 1500m free yesterday in Maryland. I was seeded first in my age group (M35-39) and had a good chance of repeating as national champion (won the 1500, 800 and 400 in Mission Viejo last August). I was so sad to not have that opportunity. And then I let my mind wander and started wondering if I'll actually be able to make a full recovery or if I might have a permanently limited range of motion or some other limiting damage that would be very long term or permanent. I know I shouldn't think about such things, as only time will tell what will happen. It's just scary at this point because I really can't lift my arm much.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread will all of this sad stuff! I hope people who are there are having fun and meeting lots of nice people. I'm sure they are, as that's what I've come to learn happens at every USMS event.
I am sorry about your injury,frustration and worry. I wish you a speedy, complete recovery.

mmlr38
August 14th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I am sorry about your injury,frustration and worry. I wish you a speedy, complete recovery.
Thanks Allen! And a huge congratulations to you on your swims at Worlds. Super impressive! So proud to have you as part of our OMS team :)

Sojerz
August 14th, 2014, 03:24 PM

And then I let my mind wander and started wondering if I'll actually be able to make a full recovery or if I might have a permanently limited range of motion or some other limiting damage that would be very long term or permanent. I know I shouldn't think about such things, as only time will tell what will happen. It's just scary at this point because I really can't lift my arm much.

I've been lucky with no serious injuries before this for 64+ years, so the inability to walk was a huge jolt; lots of people have far worse problems and that's what I keep telling myself - suck it up. Bones heal slowly, but the good news is they do heal pretty much completely with time. Keep up the PT - I've made great strides from PT recovering knee, quads, and shoulder range of motion and you should be able to too - steady progress each week more mobility and strength.

Good luck at Nationals all.

sunruh
August 14th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Bones heal slowly, but the good news is they do heal pretty much completely with time.

Good luck at Nationals all.

only if set correctly. the inboard condial of my left knee was broken off and never set. im guessing its off maybe 0.5mm ~ 1mm
sure it healed. sure its strong. sure in the wrong place! just about every step causes pain nowadays as the doc and i think ive worn through the cartilage.
xrays show one thing...mri shows completely different picture. xrays didnt really show a break on june 20...mri in october still showed 3 cracks and huge amounts of bone bruise.

mmrl38 go get an mri and get it straight!

ElaineK
August 14th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Thanks Swimspire and TRYM_swimmer for coming up to me at the Maryland pool and introducing yourself to me. I guess I was pretty easy to spot in my flag suit! :D

Highlight of the day: Watching my 97 year old (98 in October!) teammate, Anne Dunivin swim her 100 free. :applaud:
Bummers of the day:
#1 Learning that I won't get to swim in a relay with Anne after all, because of an unavailable swimmer. :sad:
#2 Getting DQ'd for the first time EVER in a swim race. Evidently, my infraction was an "alternating kick." Reviewing my video, I don't see it; however she must have seen something you can't see on the video underwater. Whatever it was, I sure didn't know I did it! :censor:

Five women were DQ'd in the 200 fly this morning including another gal in my age group. I heard that one of the gals had a heated exchange about her DQ with one of the officials. :afraid:

jpetyk
August 14th, 2014, 07:10 PM
I watched that 100 free! She is such an inspiration, and watching her swim will be a highlight of my meet for sure. :wiggle:

Who is going to the social tomorrow. I am completely aloof while at the pool, but would like to meet and greet tomorrow night. :chug:

Allen Stark
August 14th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Thanks Swimspire and TRYM_swimmer for coming up to me at the Maryland pool and introducing yourself to me. I guess I was pretty easy to spot in my flag suit! :D

Highlight of the day: Watching my 97 year old (98 in October!) teammate, Anne Dunivin swim her 100 free. :applaud:
Bummers of the day:
#1 Learning that I won't get to swim in a relay with Anne after all, because of an unavailable swimmer. :sad:
#2 Getting DQ'd for the first time EVER in a swim race. Evidently, my infraction was an "alternating kick." Reviewing my video, I don't see it; however she must have seen something you can't see on the video underwater. Whatever it was, I sure didn't know I did it! :censor:

Five women were DQ'd in the 200 fly this morning including another gal in my age group. I heard that one of the gals had a heated exchange about her DQ with one of the officials. :afraid:

So sorry about the DQ. That is lousy :bighug: .How did the swim feel and were you happy with the time?

swimshark
August 14th, 2014, 08:38 PM

Bummers of the day:

Sorry about the DQ, Elaine. See you tomorrow.

Bobinator
August 14th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Ughhhh! That's a tricky call to make (alternating kick underwater)due to the visual distortion the water can create. I'm sorry you got disqualified. :( Just use you frustration and channel it towards a great400 IM!! Go Elaine!

Bummers of the day:

DeniseMW
August 15th, 2014, 07:41 AM
I was in the stands on Thursday for about an hour, but I didn't recognize anyone I knew on the boards (of course, I don't think there was anyone named Bobinator entered LOL). I got there kind of late, having wandered the UMd campus looking for the Eppley Center, and asking directions from probably every single person on campus for the first time. I'm going to try and get there on Sunday, so if you see a petite woman in the stands with red hair and a Red Sox baseball cap, please wave.:bouncing:

ElaineK
August 15th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I was in the stands on Thursday for about an hour, but I didn't recognize anyone I knew on the boards (of course, I don't think there was anyone named Bobinator entered LOL). I got there kind of late, having wandered the UMd campus looking for the Eppley Center, and asking directions from probably every single person on campus for the first time. I'm going to try and get there on Sunday, so if you see a petite woman in the stands with red hair and a Red Sox baseball cap, please wave.:bouncing:

Darn! The stands are the last place I look when I'm down on deck. They're not checking badges; my husband has been on deck several times. Just come down to the deck level and enter through the women's locker room- no problem. Julia and I were both hoping to see you, and we were disappointed we missed you on Thursday. Both of us will be looking for you on Sunday. I will DEFINITELY be there for the 200 breaststroke (Elaine Krugman), and I'm hoping to be on a Women's medley relay for GAJA as the breaststroker. (It's TBD, because the faster breaststroker has an injury that's iffy.)

Swimspire
August 15th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Elaine! It was great seeing and talking to you :) I think you will like the latest photo update on the Swimspire Facebook page - check it out : https://www.facebook.com/swimspire

Nationals have been amazing so far. Denise, Elaine and I will be looking out for you on Sunday!

ElaineK
August 15th, 2014, 08:50 PM
Elaine! It was great seeing and talking to you :) I think you will like the latest photo update on the Swimspire Facebook page - check it out : https://www.facebook.com/swimspire

Nationals have been amazing so far. Denise, Elaine and I will be looking out for you on Sunday!

Likewise! I really enjoyed talking with you, and meeting your dad and brother. It really made my day! Of course, learning that my DQ in the 200 fly was overturned helped make my day even better!

I love that photo your dad shot of me with Queen Anne! If possible, I would love to have it if you would be so kind to e-mail it to me. I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Swimspire
August 15th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I am so glad to hear that your DQ was overturned! I just sent the original pic of you and Anne to the email I have for you :)

ElaineK
August 15th, 2014, 09:16 PM
I am so glad to hear that your DQ was overturned! I just sent the original pic of you and Anne to the email I have for you :)
Thanks! I was just going to send you a PM, so you beat me to it! Thank you so much for the picture. I appreciate it! I'll thank your dad tomorrow, too.

pmccoy
August 16th, 2014, 12:52 PM
They're not checking badges; my husband has been on deck several times. Just come down to the deck level and enter through the women's locker room- no problem. Your husband entered the deck through the women's locker room?!

ElaineK
August 16th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Your husband entered the deck through the women's locker room?!

:lmao: No, Peter! He has entered the deck from a few different locations over the past couple of day: men's locker room, the hallway next to the men's locker room, and the room where the medals are distributed. Since Denise can enter through the women's locker room, it's an option.

NOTE TO DENISE: I won't be on the morning relay (it's been an on again off again thing with our #1 breaststroker), so my only event tomorrow is the 200 breaststroke at around 1 PM. I will probably be in the 3rd or 4th heat, so I will be in the warm-up pool prior to my race and back there again following my race.

Julia and I really want to meet you!

DeniseMW
August 16th, 2014, 08:15 PM
I will definitely try to be there earlier, maybe around 9 or 10 depending on whether I can get a swim in tomorrow morning. I'd love to meet you and Julia. When I got to the center on Thursday, the guy at the front desk sent me to the stands so it sounded like I couldn't get on deck, but if I can, I'll be there. If you pem me with your phone number, I'll text you. I would love to meet you and Julia. I was hoping to get there early. Will check the boards before I leave.

swimshark
August 16th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Nice meeting you today, Julia!

ElaineK
August 16th, 2014, 09:25 PM
I will definitely try to be there earlier, maybe around 9 or 10 depending on whether I can get a swim in tomorrow morning. I'd love to meet you and Julia. When I got to the center on Thursday, the guy at the front desk sent me to the stands so it sounded like I couldn't get on deck, but if I can, I'll be there. If you pem me with your phone number, I'll text you. I would love to meet you and Julia. I was hoping to get there early. Will check the boards before I leave.

Ok, this is what you do. ;) Come tomorrow looking like a swimmer in a t-shirt and shorts (no purse; bring a backpack or duffle bag) and don't say anything to the people at the desk. Just look like you know where you're going and that you expect them to let you in. If they say anything and point you to the stands as a spectator, head in that direction, but come back and go down the main stairs to the bottom level and enter through the locker room. If you look like a swimmer and blend in, nobody will ask questions. Most of the swimmers don't wear their credentials on deck anyway, because they have to swim! If you look like the rest of us, you'll be fine. (In other words, keep the dress and high heels in your closet tomorrow!) :D

We're going to sleep in :bed:, but we'll head to the pool as soon as we're up and at 'em. I'll give you a call.

Swimspire
August 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Nice meeting you today, Julia!

Swimshark! Nice meeting you, too! :) I'm glad Jeff called you by your forum name ;) See you at the next meet!

ElaineK
August 17th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Congratulations to my former teammate, Diann Uustal on her record-breaking 50 fly! She broke her own record with this awesome swim:
http://youtu.be/U5n0_YgCNFA :applaud::cheerleader:

Swimosaur
August 17th, 2014, 11:15 PM
She broke her own record ...

The World Record progression will now be,

UUSTAL Diann USA 35.42 05-08-2011 ... @ 2011 USMS LCM nats, at age FINA 65
UUSTAL Diann USA 34.56 08-06-2013 ... @ 2013 Pan Am Masters Champs, at age FINA 67

UUSTAL Diann USA 34.09 17-08-2014 ... @ 2014 USMS LCM nats, at age FINA 68!

The water does not know your age!

swimshark
August 18th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Swimshark! Nice meeting you, too! :) I'm glad Jeff called you by your forum name ;) See you at the next meet!

We should all register as our forum names for one meet. heehee

swimmieAvsFan
August 18th, 2014, 08:54 AM

If you do that, please make sure it's NOT at a PV meet. You'll make my life miserable trying to process the meet if you're not entered with your name as it appears on your USMS registration card!

ElaineK
August 18th, 2014, 10:38 PM
The World Record progression will now be,

UUSTAL Diann USA 35.42 05-08-2011 ... @ 2011 USMS LCM nats, at age FINA 65
UUSTAL Diann USA 34.56 08-06-2013 ... @ 2013 Pan Am Masters Champs, at age FINA 67

UUSTAL Diann USA 34.09 17-08-2014 ... @ 2014 USMS LCM nats, at age FINA 68!

The water does not know your age!

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

swimshark
August 19th, 2014, 06:46 AM
If you do that, please make sure it's NOT at a PV meet. You'll make my life miserable trying to process the meet if you're not entered with your name as it appears on your USMS registration card!

Okay, Mollie, I'll mess up someone else's processing :)

DeniseMW
August 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Holy cow.:ohyeah:Dianne is awesome.

200free
August 19th, 2014, 09:26 AM
FISH runs a meet like that once a year. It's called the Derby meet and everyone picks a horse name to appear in the heat sheet and on the scoreboard. Confusing for the spectators (and I'm sure the coaches) but the kids get a kick out of it. I believe they also hand out heat winner trinkets so it's just a little different and breaks up the monotony of a regular age group meet. (Mollie they use the preferred name field for the horse name so your real name is still in hy-tek.)

thewookiee
August 19th, 2014, 10:06 AM

I have actually done this at a meet using "wookiee" as my first name. I think it was a pv meet. I can't remember who, either Muppet or King Roddin, changed it back to my birth name before the meet started. For several days leading up to the meet, it stayed on the list of registered swimmers.

Another meet that I attended, it was printed in the heat sheet.

swimmieAvsFan
August 19th, 2014, 10:15 AM
FISH runs a meet like that once a year. It's called the Derby meet and everyone picks a horse name to appear in the heat sheet and on the scoreboard. Confusing for the spectators (and I'm sure the coaches) but the kids get a kick out of it. I believe they also hand out heat winner trinkets so it's just a little different and breaks up the monotony of a regular age group meet. (Mollie they use the preferred name field for the horse name so your real name is still in hy-tek.)

I have actually done this at a meet using "wookiee" as my first name. I think it was a pv meet. I can't remember who, either Muppet or King Roddin, changed it back to my birth name before the meet started. For several days leading up to the meet, it stayed on the list of registered swimmers.

Another meet that I attended, it was printed in the heat sheet.

Unfortunately for USMS Top Ten Recorders, the way that the Club Assistant software is coded causes issues if anything other than the swimmer's first name (the one they've registered for USMS with) is in the preferred name field (i.e. that field supersedes the first name field when the meet file is being created). Which means, for every person who puts a true nickname or shorter version of their first name given at that year's registration, they're causes additional time in processing every meet. Thankfully, our IT crew at the national office has developed a suite of tools that makes it much easier to correct, but it's still a hassle to go through and fix the swimmers who use the preferred nickname field, every meet.

The long and the short of it is- if you've registered with your full, given first name, and you'd rather be called by a shorter nickname in heat/psych sheets and results, please, please, please register for 2015 with your nickname- that's totally allowed!

TRYM_Swimmer
August 19th, 2014, 10:48 AM
The long and the short of it is- if you've registered with your full, given first name, and you'd rather be called by a shorter nickname in heat/psych sheets and results, please, please, please register for 2015 with your nickname- that's totally allowed!

I've been registering with my stage name for years :)

200free
August 19th, 2014, 04:02 PM
preferred name field supersedes the first name field when the meet file is being created

Well that sounds like a Club Assistant error we should ask Club Assistant to fix.

if you'd rather be called by a shorter nickname in heat/psych sheets and results, please, please, please register for 2015 with your nickname
This is a great solution. I know at meets I usually have about 20 people who change their first name (and some even try changing their team). Maybe the renewal e-mail sent to everyone could mention this. Jeff??

Sorry for hijacking the Nationals thread, back to your regular scheduled programming.

ALM
August 19th, 2014, 09:37 PM

That would be funny. And, Mollie, the event results web tools would fix it automatically for you. :bighug:

swimmieAvsFan
August 19th, 2014, 10:45 PM
That would be funny. And, Mollie, the event results web tools would fix it automatically for you. :bighug:

Has Jim updated the tools since this spring? I know names in a case like this would be flagged, but I still would have to manually accept the correct names, correct?

Swimspire
August 20th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Mollie, thank you for all that you do for us :)

jroddin
August 21st, 2014, 06:15 AM
Unfortunately for USMS Top Ten Recorders, the way that the Club Assistant software is coded causes issues if anything other than the swimmer's first name (the one they've registered for USMS with) is in the preferred name field (i.e. that field supersedes the first name field when the meet file is being created). Which means, for every person who puts a true nickname or shorter version of their first name given at that year's registration, they're causes additional time in processing every meet. Thankfully, our IT crew at the national office has developed a suite of tools that makes it much easier to correct, but it's still a hassle to go through and fix the swimmers who use the preferred nickname field, every meet.

I'm 99% sure the "preferred" name is the only field that passes through. The nickname indeed could get printed in the heat sheet and results, but the actual first name is all that gets sent through to USMS.

Technically the heat sheets are supposed to only display the actual first name, so Mollie is still right that you shouldn't have your nickname printed there. And if the meet director doesn't notice or know to change to the actual first name it is true that Club Assistant will pass on the nickname to Hytek. But even if it slips through to Hytek and is never changed, it won't be sent to USMS for Top Ten.

Jeff

swimmieAvsFan
August 21st, 2014, 11:20 AM
I'm 99% sure the "preferred" name is the only field that passes through. The nickname indeed could get printed in the heat sheet and results, but the actual first name is all that gets sent through to USMS.

Technically the heat sheets are supposed to only display the actual first name, so Mollie is still right that you shouldn't have your nickname printed there. And if the meet director doesn't notice or know to change to the actual first name it is true that Club Assistant will pass on the nickname to Hytek. But even if it slips through to Hytek and is never changed, it won't be sent to USMS for Top Ten.

Jeff

It only won't get sent to USMS for Top Ten if the LMSC's TTR goes through and manually changes the meet registration info to match the swimmer's USMS registration info. And that was the genesis of my request up-thread to *not* enter meets with anything other than the name you registered for USMS with...

Allen Stark
August 21st, 2014, 12:00 PM
Darn,I really wanted to use my forum name to enter meets.:bolt:

ElaineK
August 21st, 2014, 05:48 PM
Darn,I really wanted to use my forum name to enter meets.:bolt:

Your forum name should really be "King Frog." :banana: