PDA

View Full Version : breathing in 4 strokes

squirr3l4nuts
October 17th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Hey everybody,

I used to swim freestyle and breath every 2 strokes. Today I swim and breath every 4 strokes. I swim significantly faster but of course have to breath harder.

I read that people only breath every 3, 5, or 7 strokes. Am I breathing every 4 strokes is very odd? The thing is I only breath on the right side and it's very difficult for me to breath on the left side. Every time I breath on the left side, I always lose balance.

I just wonder if anyone here actually breath every even stroke like 4,, 6, 8.

Thanks.

Allen Stark
October 17th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Hey everybody,

I used to swim freestyle and breath every 2 strokes. Today I swim and breath every 4 strokes. I swim significantly faster but of course have to breath harder.

I read that people only breath every 3, 5, or 7 strokes. Am I breathing every 4 strokes is very odd? The thing is I only breath on the right side and it's very difficult for me to breath on the left side. Every time I breath on the left side, I always lose balance.

I just wonder if anyone here actually breath every even stroke like 4,, 6, 8.

Thanks.
The breathing 3,5,7 stokes is a drill,and not a very good one in my opinion. Learning to breathe every third is a good drill and it's useful to be able to breath to both sides.The vast majority of swimmers breathe to only one side in a race.People almost always breathe every 2nd for races 200 and over.For 50s people generally breathe as little as possible. For 100s some every 2nd,some every 4th,some a little of each.

orca1946
October 18th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Bilateral breathing is used to teach you about the weakness of the free style stroke that you mention. It's ok to do odd or even if it works for you. As distance swimmer, I breathe every stroke as an old guy.