PDA

View Full Version : New Top Ten Displays

matysekj
March 1st, 2004, 02:31 AM
The USMS Top Ten section has been updated with new display options for top ten times. The updates include a new search mechanism including locating swimmer's relay top ten achievements and showing all top ten details for a given swimmer, the ability to list top ten times by LMSC, Club, or Zone, and some text and spreadsheet export capabilities for LMSC listings. The top ten area can be found at http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/

jim thornton
March 1st, 2004, 04:16 PM
Jim--

I really like and appreciate the Top Ten search function. Makes it very easy to find your own totals plus that of your friends and competitors.

Thanks.

Whatever happened to that area that kept the splits you had at old nationals?

matysekj
March 1st, 2004, 05:26 PM
I'm glad that you find the new area useful.

Originally posted by jim thornton
Whatever happened to that area that kept the splits you had at old nationals? [/B]

I'm not sure what area you are referring to, but my guess is the meet results tracking page at http://www.usms.org/comp/resultstrack.shtml. This page links to an external database (where our access has been a bit spotty lately) that contains your results from all meets submitted to us over the years. Just search by name to find results over time, with splits if they were available in the submitted results. All of the nationals results that I have since 1999 are included. If results from other meets that you've swum in are not included, that means the results for that meet were not submitted. The list of meets included can be found at http://162.33.155.126/CRGWebServices/usms/shomeets.cgi. Instructions on submitting meet results can be found at http://www.usms.org/comp/toptimes.shtml#submit. Ask your meet directors to submit their results!

tjburk
March 1st, 2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks Jim! I don't know about the others here, but I personally would like to thank you for keeping this site updated.

Thanks, Tracy

joy
March 2nd, 2004, 12:43 AM
The pages look great and times are so much easier to find. Now that that part is done. Is the All American pages next. They have not been updated since 2002. #1 swims in 2003 and WR's need an update in all 3 catagories. Thanz for all the hard work

matysekj
March 2nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by joy
Is the All American pages next. They have not been updated since 2002. #1 swims in 2003 and WR's need an update in all 3 catagories.
Yes, the All American and All Stars sections are on the short list of current development projects for re-doing them in a similar format. The 2003 long distance AA list was announced and posted in a thread here on 1/15 - see http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?threadid=2241. The pool AA list for 2003 is not yet available anywhere (it is just now being created and verified). Both pool and long distance AA lists will be incorporated into the new area when available.

World records are recognized by FINA, not USMS, so I don't have any information on when they will be updated.

Frank Thompson
March 2nd, 2004, 10:28 AM
Jim I want to thank for the very excellent work on the new USMS top ten display. Especially good is the LMSC section because a lot of swimmers do competitions out of the LMSC and you don't know their times unless they report them to you and somtimes that is not done. I know in the past we had something similar to this and it was in the All American section. Another reason I like this is it will be a lot easier to check for mistakes and errors in the top ten. For instance in the old way of doing things you had to bring up every age group for men/women and check each individual age group and event. Now you can bring your entire LMSC up and have it for you summarized right there. Also checking your personal times is great and you can do it so fast now. Before you had to go to the All American section and bring up the year to see the swims and times. The old way would give you the number but you had the find the times and the events in that year.

Just curious about the relay top ten achievments which again are real good. I see that you can go back as far as 1998 but not 1993. Is that because its being worked on or impossible to comply? I know you could find the AA for relays since 1993 but I can't remember if you could bring the actual list up. Something tells me that you couldn't. Also for the individual search function I just see the current 2003 year for the relays and not the other years like you do for individuals. Is that because its in the testing stages or just impossible to do, meaning to much data and space limitations. I will admit if you did that for every person in the top ten that made a relay it might a bit much.

Which brings me to the All American section. I not even going to ask you if its possible to do anything prior to 1993 in what your doing now. I remember when that project was being done and the teams of people that we had to get that accomplished. However, some day we could put up the top ten lists from 1972 in a pdf format. I thinking more along the lines of what swim info does in their premium section to their members. I happen to belong and I can go back to 1960, 1964, 1968, etc. and read results of the Olympic Trials and the Olympic Games. Its pretty neat and depending on the speed of your computer it might take time with all there images. I know we have the information, I just don't know if an interest is there.

Anyway thanks for all your hard work.

matysekj
March 2nd, 2004, 11:17 AM
Hi Skip, glad to hear that it works for you.

For top ten relays, I've only received files with the data going back to 1998, so that's why we only go back to 1998 for relays. If we can dig up the info prior to that, we can include it. One of the difficulties is in the file format - it really needs to be in a format that facilitates data recovery. There were 5 or 6 different file formats used for recovering this data, so there is a great deal of flexibility possible here, but older printed lists would take a great deal of time to prepare for a database import. This isn't to say that we won't do it, but just that it may take a lot of time and effort once the data is found.

By the way, I believe that someone is working on retrieving and verifying older top ten info (prior to 1993). Whenever that is available, there's no reason not to import it to the database for inclusing in the web displays.

For All Americans, I absolutely agree that we should be able to retrieve and include the lists from prior to 1993 in the database at some time. It's just a matter of scale - I count 142 long distance and it looks like a little over 400 pool AAs for 2003. If that is typical for a given year, then it is very reasonable for someone to enter this information into the database for older years, even if they would need to be done one at a time. This is in comparison to the over 20,000 individual and over 11,000 relay top ten swimmers per year, where it is only reasonable to add older years if an automated import of data can be done. As you point out, another option for these would be to scan documents to PDF format.

Swimmer Bill
March 2nd, 2004, 12:41 PM
Jim,

Excellent, but I see one flaw.

For those of us who have switched club affiliations over the years, those affiliations are not accurately reflected in the listings. For example, I have made top ten under four different club affiliations, but all of my top tens are listed under my current club affiliation.

I'm sure it's because of the current swimmer ID system, but the fact is, the affiliations are not accurate for any of my individual swims prior to 2002.

Bill

matysekj
March 2nd, 2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Swimmer Bill
Excellent, but I see one flaw.

For those of us who have switched club affiliations over the years, those affiliations are not accurately reflected in the listings. For example, I have made top ten under four different club affiliations, but all of my top tens are listed under my current club affiliation.

I'm sure it's because of the current swimmer ID system, but the fact is, the affiliations are not accurate for any of my individual swims prior to 2002.

Hi Bill,

Actually, this is another improvement we have over the old top ten listings by LMSC. We now have the capability to list swimmers with different LMSCs and Clubs for their top ten achievements over the years to accurately reflect their affiliations at the time of their swims. While your LMSC and club affiliation for your swims prior to 2002 are inaccurate in the list now, we can fix that. We never had this capability in the past - once you moved, all of your data moved with you. Unfortunately, for the initial conversion of the data that we have right now, your past achievements are not affiliated with the correct LMSC and team. I'll get yours corrected for your pre-2002 listings. Anyone else who notices the same thing happening with their old swims can email the corrections to me for now and I'll get them to the right person to get the changes in.

Karen Duggan
March 28th, 2004, 06:04 PM
WOW!
Love the ability to relive the glory days, and see what I'm up against now :).
Bill got me thinking, what about the maiden name thing... Pre 1995 I was Heard and post 1995 Duggan, is that reflected in overall Top Ten performances? I don't really care per se, just a question.
Jim, thank you very much for your continued hard work and constantly making this site world class :)

matysekj
March 28th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Yes, the new system handles name changes also. If you look at your personal top ten accomplishments at http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenind.php?SwimmerID=03K3E (very impressive, by the way!), you'll see that all of your individual top ten swims are included, under both names.