PDA

View Full Version : Sun Yang a doper

sunruh
November 25th, 2014, 02:44 PM
from today's paper

says he served a 3 month ban this past summer for testing positive for a banned stimulant.

---

just great

exactly WHO is clean anymore?

smontanaro
November 25th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I am, but I probably don't count... :)

sunruh
November 25th, 2014, 03:40 PM
ok i just found out it was a med he didnt report.

still!

Allen Stark
November 25th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Swimming World described his med as a stimulant,but I was unfamiliar with it and looked it up. Trimetazidine is a cardiac medication given for angina which improves blood flow. Again,I am not familiar with the med,so I don't know that there are not legitimate reasons to give it to a young,healthy athlete, but it seems fishy to me.

sunruh
November 25th, 2014, 03:56 PM
yes very fishy

its not like like he was taking 1000 birthcontrol pills. :D

orca1946
November 25th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I bet most of us that take age related meds for stuff over 60 brings on are in a grey area! Along with grey hair and hip replacements!!!

rodent
November 25th, 2014, 07:46 PM
He was taking a med that enabled his heart to pump blood more efficiently. It does have medical uses and he did have a script for it but I am pretty sure it was not medically necessary for him. Plus it is a new and relatively little used drug that might slip under the radar in drug testing for the most commonly abused PED's.

sunruh
November 26th, 2014, 09:17 AM
he's 26 not 86!
he was clearly cheating!!!

Stevepowell
December 2nd, 2014, 05:43 PM
http://circres.ahajournals.org/content/86/5/580.long

Why would a distance athlete want to shift from fatty acid to glucose metabolism?

Wouldn't they (distance types) rather switch skeletal muscles to fat metabolism?

Something like Micardis does that via PPAR-gamma magic.

knelson
December 2nd, 2014, 09:27 PM
His longest event is fourteen and a half minutes. Is that truly endurance?

ourswimmer
December 2nd, 2014, 11:19 PM
His longest event is fourteen and a half minutes. Is that truly endurance? No way. Muscle glycogen is the primary fuel for a pool mile even for me, and Sun Yang would lap me four times on my best day. It's not a 10K or a Channel swim.

__steve__
December 3rd, 2014, 08:18 AM
Swimming any event from 50 up
probably uses all metabolic pathways

Allen Stark
December 3rd, 2014, 01:23 PM
Swimming any event from 50 up
probably uses all metabolic pathways

True, but some more than others. A 1500 is mostly using carbs.

Stevepowell
December 7th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Note that it changes his heart metabolism. It just seems incredibly foolish to mess with such things.

smontanaro
December 7th, 2014, 06:35 PM
As I recall, at the last Olympics, Sun Yang was far better than anyone else. Unless he gained that advantage by doping, was there any reason he needed the edge? Was someone else catching him?

TooPro
December 7th, 2014, 09:03 PM
As I recall, at the last Olympics, Sun Yang was far better than anyone else. Unless he gained that advantage by doping, was there any reason he needed the edge? Was someone else catching him?
Whose to say he hash't been doping forever though and this is just the first time he has gotten caught.