PDA

View Full Version : 2015 One Hour (e)Postal Swim

knelson
January 3rd, 2015, 09:19 PM
It's that time again. Who's planning to do it? Who's done it? If you did, how far did you swim?

https://www.clubassistant.com/club/meet_information.cfm?c=1308&smid=5888

JPSWMCCH
January 4th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Our relatively new Masters program, Michigan Lakeshore Aquatics Masters, in Holland, hopes to get many of our new Masters members to try it, probably later this month. Haven't done it for a few years (a few surgeries), so looking forward to trying it! p.s.Go Green, Kirk ;-) JP

orca1946
January 4th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I'll present this to the team and see if we have any takers.

knelson
January 4th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Good luck, JP! Hope you and some teammates are able to do it.

Personally I have not scheduled a time yet, but I plan to do it. Probably toward the end of the month.

poolraat
January 5th, 2015, 11:53 AM
My Masters team (Sawtooth Masters, Boise ID) has scheduled a group swim for the 1 Hour this Saturday, Jan 10. I am planning to go do it and depending on how it goes (I've been out of the water for 3 weeks due to pool being closed) I may do it again on my own at the end of the month.

mmlr38
January 6th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Did it on Sunday. Wasn't happy with my swim, so I plan to do it again!

sunruh
January 6th, 2015, 12:24 PM
If you did, how far did you swim?

to the end and then back.

but since i'm semi fast it only took me 58mins to do 1hr. :D

actually since i am a sprinter i am done at the 22sec mark and the rest is warmdown.

knelson
January 6th, 2015, 12:49 PM
but since i'm semi fast it only took me 58mins to do 1hr. :D

I like your strategy. If you can't go the farthest, how about try to do it in the shortest time? :)

Tetleysfam
January 6th, 2015, 03:52 PM
We just put it right on the calendar for a practice during the month. They know it's coming and can show up or not, but we always have our largest group on that day. Only a few actually register and turn in results, but they all seem to like the challenge. As a coach I get to help count now, which becomes a challenge all its own!

rxleakem
January 8th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Our workout group has two members that do the OHS every year, but I am putting it on the schedule for the whole team this year. I will probably swim it in a couple of weeks. It is a fun challenge!

Kurt Dickson
January 8th, 2015, 07:54 PM
It is a fun challenge!
Fun? I think not. Postals in az suck as all the pools are always too hot. Today's miserable attempt was done in 84 degree water. I think I about got heatstroke (yes, in January). Good luck all. Brundage...can I sneak in the back gate and use your icebox next year?:)

pwb
January 8th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Brundage...can I sneak in the back gate and use your icebox next year?:)The water temp in my pool was 47 a couple of days ago. Maybe I need to create an 'ice breaker' meet and invite tough guys like you, Barra, Kent Nicholas, etc. for a cold water event.

hlopez84
January 9th, 2015, 09:38 AM
The water temp in my pool was 47 a couple of days ago. Maybe I need to create an 'ice breaker' meet and invite tough guys like you, Barra, Kent Nicholas, etc. for a cold water event.

47???? Please tell me you didn't jump in!

trident58
January 9th, 2015, 11:36 AM
My club (Santa Clarita Masters) is doing ours tomorrow. I'll be happy if I match last year's results, as I felt really tired in workout today. We did the 100x100 last Saturday, and I've done about 20,000 yds since then. This is going to be ugly (but it's fun, right?)

mmlr38
January 9th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Fun? I think not. Postals in az suck as all the pools are always too hot. Today's miserable attempt was done in 84 degree water. I think I about got heatstroke (yes, in January). Good luck all. Brundage...can I sneak in the back gate and use your icebox next year?:)
Oh, I hadn't considered how hot the pool in AZ would get, even in January. That sounds miserable!!! Nothing worse than trying to do a distance event in hot water.

My club (Santa Clarita Masters) is doing ours tomorrow. I'll be happy if I match last year's results, as I felt really tired in workout today. We did the 100x100 last Saturday, and I've done about 20,000 yds since then. This is going to be ugly (but it's fun, right?)
Wow! That's a ton of yardage Jonathan! Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully you still have some energy left in your tank to match last year's effort.

trident58
January 10th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Just finished my swim. I think I died.
Seriously, despite feeling really tired, I still went 100 yds further than last year. Really happy with that!
My wife also beat her previous best, so a pretty good day!

Awfully tempted to break out that good bottle of Scotch I bought last night, but I'd better wait until after 5 pm.

mmlr38
January 10th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Just finished my swim. I think I died.
Seriously, despite feeling really tired, I still went 100 yds further than last year. Really happy with that!
My wife also beat her previous best, so a pretty good day!

Awfully tempted to break out that good bottle of Scotch I bought last night, but I'd better wait until after 5 pm.
Awesome! Congrats! Definitely a Scotch worthy swim!

I sure hope I can get closer to my total from last year. The injury really set me back, but I think my sub-par performance last weekend was more due to having a bad day. Hopefully I'll do better when I try again on the 18th.

A huge congrats to you, Jonathan!

suphillips
January 10th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Missed my total distance goal by only 40 yards, but did pretty well on the pacing goal. And, more than 100 yards further than last year, so I'll call it good.

trident58
January 11th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Missed my total distance goal by only 40 yards, but did pretty well on the pacing goal. And, more than 100 yards further than last year, so I'll call it good.

I try not to put too much emphasis on distance goals for these swims. I figure if I can come close to my previous year's distance, I'm beating the aging curve!

Nice job on beating last year's distance!

pmccoy
January 17th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Just finished mine this morning. I got an email that they were going to run one a couple days ago while I was out of town. When I showed up, I hadn't decided whether or not I would do it and I didn't even know if they would have a timer for me. While I was helping out with the first heat, they encouraged me to go ahead and swim it. So I put on a faster suit and warmed up. I finished 40 yards off of last year just missing 4800 yards again. The first 2000 felt pretty good. Around 3000, I started dealing with the mental battle to keep going. Once I got to 4000, it wasn't quite so bad. I'm jet lagged and worn out from a stressful week. On the other hand, I've been out of the pool for 3 days and should be rested. So, I'm good with being around last year's distance.

mmlr38
January 17th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Nice swim Peter!

JenBrehob
January 20th, 2015, 08:22 AM
So far we have had 5 swimmers and me with no time to tally it yet!:bump:

mmlr38
January 20th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Took a second shot this weekend. Still came up 85 yards short of what I did last year, but got 5000 on the nose, coming to the wall with 1 second to spare! Had to drop a 1:06 on the last 100 yards to make it happen, but I'm just happy to get that 5000, which was my goal.

Considering the major setback I had in late July last year (bad bike wreck that resulted in broken ribs, broken collar bone and a broken scapula), I'm very happy with the swim. Really, I'm thrilled to just be swimming again, much less at nearly the same level I was just before the injury. Hopefully I'll get back there someday.

ElaineK
January 20th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Took a second shot this weekend. Still came up 85 yards short of what I did last year, but got 5000 on the nose, coming to the wall with 1 second to spare! Had to drop a 1:06 on the last 100 yards to make it happen, but I'm just happy to get that 5000, which was my goal.

Considering the major setback I had in late July last year (bad bike wreck that resulted in broken ribs, broken collar bone and a broken scapula), I'm very happy with the swim. Really, I'm thrilled to just be swimming again, much less at nearly the same level I was just before the injury. Hopefully I'll get back there someday.

:bow: That's an awesome hour of fast swimming, Fly Trap! Congratulations! :applaud:

trident58
January 20th, 2015, 03:29 PM

Very nice job!
Looks like you're recovering from your injury quite well.

Bobinator
January 20th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Yup, I'm doing it down at the Natatorium towards the end of the month with IAC. I love doing Hour Swims at the Nat; perfect pool, wide lanes, and cold water! Good luck and have fun everyone!!

mmlr38
January 21st, 2015, 01:31 PM
:bow: That's an awesome hour of fast swimming, Fly Trap! Congratulations! :applaud:

Very nice job!
Looks like you're recovering from your injury quite well.

Thanks Elaine and Jonathan!

Yup, I'm doing it down at the Natatorium towards the end of the month with IAC. I love doing Hour Swims at the Nat; perfect pool, wide lanes, and cold water! Good luck and have fun everyone!!
Good luck! Sounds like you have a great place to do it! Enjoy :)

Allen Stark
January 23rd, 2015, 08:10 PM
My wife is the distance swimmer in the family and loves the postal swims. I was going to be her timer this morning. Unfortunately she started having abdomiinal pain yesterday. She thought it was a virus, but instead it was her appendix. Instead of doing the 1 hr swim this morning, she had surgery. Surgent went well, but but it looks like this will be the second year in a row where fate has conspired to prevent her from doing all 5 postal swims.

ElaineK
January 23rd, 2015, 09:42 PM
My wife is the distance swimmer in the family and loves the postal swims. I was going to be her timer this morning. Unfortunately she started having abdomiinal pain yesterday. She thought it was a virus, but instead it was her appendix. Instead of doing the 1 hr swim this morning, she had surgery. Surgent went well, but but it looks like this will be the second year in a row where fate has conspired to prevent her from doing all 5 postal swims.

:badday: :bighug: Please wish Seal Girl my best! I hope her recovery is a speedy one.

kaffrinn
January 24th, 2015, 08:47 AM
I'm coordinating a swim of this event for my masters group next week! I feel a little dumb asking this, but I didn't see anything in the material about rest/water breaks. I assume it's ok for people to take a water break or two during the swim, as long as we don't "stop the clock," correct?

Rob Copeland
January 24th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Correct!

You can stop whenever you want, but the clock keeps ticking.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 24th, 2015, 09:38 PM

Hope your wife has a speedy recovery and will be back in the pool before long!

FindingMyInnerFish
January 24th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Correct!

A couple weeks ago, I did an "unofficial" hour swim. A masters' teammate and I swam (not in the regular workout sessions) and our coach observed us and stopped us at the end of the hour. I took water a couple times, assuming the clock was still ticking--which was fine with me.

But it raises a practical/strategy question: I'm doing another hour swim, an official one this time (I think people can choose whether they want results sent in, which I'm not sure I'll do b/c it's more just to get some feedback on my distance fitness). I'd like to improve on my yardage in this swim, and I'm trying to decide whether it's better to take something at more regular intervals than I did last time (took water after 500 yards and then close to the end, maybe last 15 mins. or so) or not stop. I noticed that I'd get a second wind after I stopped (each time) but I was worried I'd lose too much time if I stopped too often. Still, I noticed that my energy fell off about 20 or so minutes after taking a drink the first time. So I'm going back and forth between thinking I'd have been better off grabbing a drink about every 500 yards or not having anything the whole time since I'd be losing ground by stopping.

Those with more experience in this, what are your thoughts?

kaffrinn
January 25th, 2015, 12:10 AM
Correct!

Thanks, Rob!

mmlr38
January 25th, 2015, 09:17 AM
That's a real bummer, Allen. Hopefully she has a speedy recovery.

I'd like to improve on my yardage in this swim, and I'm trying to decide whether it's better to take something at more regular intervals than I did last time (took water after 500 yards and then close to the end, maybe last 15 mins. or so) or not stop.

Those with more experience in this, what are your thoughts?
There is no real physical need, in terms of hydration or fueling, to stop during any form of exercise lasting only an hour. Most endurance athletes agree that unless it's going to be more than a 90 minute effort, it's not necessary to stop to hydrate or fuel. Any amount of time spent resting is almost impossible to make up.

However, I know other people who appreciate taking rests during the hour swim just to recover mentally and give themselves a psychological boost.

So, if you want to swim your best one-hour postal, I'd suggest finding the pace that you can maintain for an hour and get in good enough shape to do so and then swim the entire hour without stopping.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 25th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. As the swim is today, I hope I'm in good enough shape to swim an hour nonstop at a pace that's both doable for that long and allows for some improvement, however modest.

Bobinator
January 25th, 2015, 06:02 PM

Yikes Allen, I'm sorry you and your wife have to go through this. I wish her a quick recovery and hope she'll be able to get her 2016 Hour Swim in for sure.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 25th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Happy to report that I improved from my non-official hour swim from two weeks ago by 150 yards! Took mmlr38's advice and didn't stop once I got going. Had some water before warming up, then just before starting, and that seemed to do the trick. I did slow down toward the middle, but pushed myself somewhat toward the end, as the previous swim just seemed slower than I knew I was capable of doing. I'm not quoting either of the two totals--they're VERY modest by the standards of the swimmers on this forum. But progress is progress! :)

Allen Stark
January 26th, 2015, 01:44 AM
:badday: :bighug: Please wish Seal Girl my best! I hope her recovery is a speedy one.

Hope your wife has a speedy recovery and will be back in the pool before long!

Yikes Allen, I'm sorry you and your wife have to go through this. I wish her a quick recovery and hope she'll be able to get her 2016 Hour Swim in for sure.

That's a real bummer, Allen. Hopefully she has a speedy recovery.
Thanks to all of you.She got out of the hospital yesterday She can't lift anything over 10 lb for 2 wk.At 2 wk the surgeon will evaluate healing and see when she can swim.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 26th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Thanks to all of you.She got out of the hospital yesterday She can't lift anything over 10 lb for 2 wk.At 2 wk the surgeon will evaluate healing and see when she can swim.

Hope all goes well and she's back to swimming w/ no complications!

mmlr38
January 26th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Thanks to all of you, she got out of the hospital yesterday. She can't lift anything over 10 lb for 2 wk. At 2 wk the surgeon will evaluate healing and see when she can swim.
That's good news! Hopefully she'll be back in the water in a few weeks.

Happy to report that I improved from my non-official hour swim from two weeks ago by 150 yards! Took mmlr38's advice and didn't stop once I got going. Had some water before warming up, then just before starting, and that seemed to do the trick. I did slow down toward the middle, but pushed myself somewhat toward the end, as the previous swim just seemed slower than I knew I was capable of doing. I'm not quoting either of the two totals--they're VERY modest by the standards of the swimmers on this forum. But progress is progress! :)
:applaud: Well done! So glad to hear that you improved. And 150 yard improvement at that! That's very significant!

Slowing down in the middle is fairly normal for me as well. Somewhere around the 2/3 mark of any swim I mentally fatigue and fall slightly off pace, but recover for the last 20% or so. Sounds like you experienced something similar.

In any case, job very well done!

ande
January 26th, 2015, 02:35 PM
I'm happy to say
my team did the hour postal yesterday and I did not.

FindingMyInnerFish
January 26th, 2015, 04:17 PM
That's good news! Hopefully she'll be back in the water in a few weeks.

:applaud: Well done! So glad to hear that you improved. And 150 yard improvement at that! That's very significant!

Slowing down in the middle is fairly normal for me as well. Somewhere around the 2/3 mark of any swim I mentally fatigue and fall slightly off pace, but recover for the last 20% or so. Sounds like you experienced something similar.

In any case, job very well done!

Thanks much! My coaches--like all good coaches--while giving thumbs up also want me to reach further. That's why I like having them as coaches. :)

Glad I got this in--we're looking at a lot of snow here in the Northeast! Maybe I can get some ice swimming in to build mental toughness. :)

rxleakem
January 26th, 2015, 09:53 PM
I was going to swim tomorrow, but like Fish above the town is closing the Rec Center tomorrow so tonight was the night for me!

I logged 4257 yards, taking a quick swig of water at 25 min and 45 min. (Less than last year, but that is ok)

Helping to propel team New England Masters towards National Champs!

knelson
January 27th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I still haven't done it, either. I heard of one opportunity this weekend, but not sure if I'll do it or not.

bamueller
January 30th, 2015, 11:12 AM
I am swimming tomorrow with some more folks on my team.

Quick question/recommendation, what do you all do, if anything, to help hydrate/fuel during the swim? Do you swim the entire hour non-stop, or do you take 10 seconds to drink something? If the latter, what is your recommended "something" to drink and at what time during the swim?

This is my fourth or fifth postal. I tend to overheat, so I am strategizing, and hydrating plenty before. Thanks!

knelson
January 30th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Do you swim the entire hour non-stop

Yes. I've done it quite a few times now and have never stopped. Not to say that's the best strategy for everyone.