PDA

View Full Version : male sprinter tech suit

Schaefer
January 22nd, 2015, 04:06 PM
Hi guys,

Fellow sprinter, is there a tech suit you prefer? I was looking into the Arena Carbon Pro, but I would like to hear some opinion before pruchasing (budget isn't a concern, just speed ;-)).

I assume it differs per build. I am 6'1'' 180-185pounds. (more in the shoulder than anything else!)

Thanks!

Jazz Hands
January 22nd, 2015, 04:16 PM
TYR Tracer Light. Save yourself a lot of money.

trident58
January 22nd, 2015, 06:24 PM
TYR Tracer Light. Save yourself a lot of money.
I agree. Tried a Tracer Lite for the first time last month, and took 3 seconds off my 200 free time. Very good suit for the money.

Schaefer
January 24th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Anyone tried a carbon or a LZR and wanna share their experience (vs the tyr if you tried both).

Thanks

Allen Stark
January 24th, 2015, 11:14 AM
I have tried all those suits and also the B-70 Nero TX. I was very disappointed with the LZR,it just didn't feel comfortable.
The Carbon Pro was almost great,but it was too tight for me in the "sensitive male parts". "Compression is not good everywhere. " If you get the Carbon-Pro,do not downsize.
The Tyr is a great suit,but I swam my best race ever in the B-70,so I am prejudiced for it.

StewartACarroll
January 24th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I have tried all those suits and also the B-70 Nero TX. I was very disappointed with the LZR,it just didn't feel comfortable.
The Carbon Pro was almost great,but it was too tight for me in the "sensitive male parts". "Compression is not good everywhere. " If you get the Carbon-Pro,do not downsize.
The Tyr is a great suit,but I swam my best race ever in the B-70,so I am prejudiced for it.

It's most definitely personal preference but i concur with Allen. I have tried many of the tech suite brands but have found BlueSeventy Nero TX to be my favorite also. It's a little more money than the TYR Tracer Light but I was able to pickup one up for $150 ish. I loved the fact it came with a nylon bag branded carrying bag(which is actually useful between big meets for storage), and it has next to no seems. It also fits tight but not too tight in the wrong areas as Allen elegantly articulated.

mmlr38
January 25th, 2015, 09:31 AM
I haven't tried the BlueSeventy suits, but I really like the TYR Tracer Light. I was also lucky enough to pick up the TYR AP12 Credere for $150 and I love it. The thing fits very, very tight and takes a while to get into, but once it's on, it's great.

Based on Allen's and Stewart's feedback, I might give the BlueSeventy a try someday.

Schaefer
January 26th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'll see what I get and i'll post my feedback after the national.

ande
January 26th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I wrote some Swim Faster Faster Tips (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?4229-Ande-s-Swimming-Tips-Swimming-Faster-Faster&p=300640&viewfull=1#post300640) on Tech Suits (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?4229-Ande-s-Swimming-Tips-Swimming-Faster-Faster&p=204355#post204355)

I suggest you get a really good racing suit and always have a pretty good back up suit.
I suggest High Waisted.

Schaefer
January 26th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks Ande.

I know Blueseventy aren't high waisted, but it seems that you can pull them pretty high. I'll probably get a blueseventy 14 and maybe a LZR high waisted (Arena don't do high waiste suit yet i think).

__steve__
January 26th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Although the consensus supports high waisted as a faster option, doesn't nessesarily mean it is for everybody. My former TYR AP12 low-cut slightly out performed its same sized AP12 high-waisted successor.

I could have been slower the following year too though.

orca1946
January 27th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I'll look into prices on both.

Indianaman79
January 28th, 2015, 02:42 PM
TYR Tracer B

knelson
January 28th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I've owned the Blue Seventy Nero TX and the TYR Tracer B. These are very similar suits, both using taped seams. One difference (and I think this is a decided advantage for the B70) is the TX has rubber gaskets at the leg openings and the waist.

orca1946
February 3rd, 2015, 04:37 PM
I just got 2 sizes of TYR tracer light & they are ,if anything, smaller than any other tech suit I have ever tried to put on. some say one size smaller - hah! I could not even bend over to the start position without the suit dropping to where my butt crack was showing.they are going back. I guess I'm still looking for a suit that I can get into & start. I am a chunky guy, but above where the suit sets on my hip area. I will look into the older speedo FSII suit I used to wear.

habu987
February 7th, 2015, 03:06 PM
My standby as a masters swimmer has been the FSII. For short course nationals in 2013, I upgraded to the LZR Racer Elite. I thought it was a fantastic suit, although it is tight in the family jewels region. I had tried a Carbon Pro, but couldn't get a 32 above mid thigh...ah, the curse of having big quads!

I saved the LZR Racer Elite for nationals and have been using a FSII for in season meets, although I am in the process of upgrading to a LZR Pro for in season. Tried it on yesterday and it feels much, much better than the FSII does, but not quite as nice as the Elite. The only downside so far (I haven't worn it in the water yet) is that, like orca with his TYRs, I have a case of plumber's crack when bending over with the Pro on.

I caveat all this with me being a butterflier, backstroker, and IMer, so YMMV.