PDA

View Full Version : the goggle factor

imbacktoit
February 21st, 2015, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone:
I'm a newby to masters, having had a 30-year break from competitive swimming back in my younger days. Back in the day, I never wore goggles during competition, & now that I have a meet coming up (feeling the butterflies already!), I am wondering if there are any tricks in the trade as far as keeping your googles in place during the start. I notice straps both under & on top of the cap. Is the strap tightened so that it feels like your eyes will pop out?
I'm also interested in what brand/type of goggle is your favorite... thanks!

Gary P
February 21st, 2015, 01:54 PM
As long as you're head is down (chin tucked to chest) and you're hand/arm/head position is such that your hands break the water tension first for the rest of your body, you should be good. If you hands are too far apart and/or your head is up, you're liable to lose them.

rxleakem
February 21st, 2015, 02:02 PM
Have a great meet and enjoy the experience of a masters meet! Try to practice some starts before the meet from the blocks, and try for yourself if goggles over or under the cap work. I generally just need to tighten my straps (I use the same goggles in practice as I do in meets) a bit and don't find any problems. I wear either the Kiefer or Sporti optical goggles without an issues.

imbacktoit
February 21st, 2015, 03:47 PM
thanks!
I need to talk my coach into setting up a block during practice; normally we have no access.

__steve__
February 21st, 2015, 04:56 PM
If you can't get blocks then use the side of the pool. Not quite as intense, but pretty darn close to a dive from the block.

Good luck and relax

Jimbosback
February 21st, 2015, 05:14 PM
I still don't wear goggles to race. I can't practice off a block where I train (anywhere local, actually) so I just scrapped it.

imbacktoit
February 21st, 2015, 05:54 PM
Jimbo, that's too bad. I hear you, because I swim at 3 different pools & there are either no blocks up, or swimmers aren't allowed to dive in!

knelson
February 21st, 2015, 06:34 PM
I find goggles under the cap works better.

Allen Stark
February 21st, 2015, 10:53 PM
Me too.

ElaineK
February 22nd, 2015, 01:46 PM
Better yet, wear two caps with goggles in between the two layers. I also spread a think layer of Vaseline around the eye sockets where the goggles seal on my face. Not only does this protect the skin from irritation, the goggles also stay secured without leakage. In addition, pull the top cap over the top edge of the goggles before your race to keep it in place, and make sure to tuck your chin and look back at your feet before you hit the water on your dive. Don't forget to squeeze your upper arms to your ears, too!

These were all recommendations by Ande that I adopted, and they have worked great! :agree:

imbacktoit
February 22nd, 2015, 07:01 PM
thanks Elaine! I've never heard of the Vaseline trick.

orca1946
February 27th, 2015, 11:41 AM
I have a pair of goggles for meets that are just a bit tighter than practice ones.

arthur
March 2nd, 2015, 03:54 PM
If you can go to a swim store that has ~50 different pairs it is good to try a bunch on. The speedo speed socket fits me perfectly. Even if totally loose I have never had it come off on a dive. Look for low profile goggles.