PDA

View Full Version : Fins Fins Fins

DeniseMW
February 24th, 2015, 01:00 PM
I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Swimosaur
February 24th, 2015, 01:09 PM
USMS Fin Review!

w3JRV4JJD28

ALM
February 24th, 2015, 02:26 PM
I'm in that video that Swimosaur posted above. I still love the TYR Burner EBP Floating Fins that we tested in the video. I got a pair back then, they finally wore out, and I bought another pair.

Here's a link:
http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/tyr-burner-ebp-floating-fin-22453/?color=

FindingMyInnerFish
February 24th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.

You might have the same Speedo fins I have--and I've abandoned mine for Zoomers, which are much lighter and more comfortable but for one thing: my toes get chafed a lot wearing them. I have found though that Vaseline or Bodyglide seems to help with that, if I remember to put it on before swimming.

Even with the chafing issue, the Zoomers definitely get a thumbs-up, much more so than the Speedos which felt so heavy that I couldn't stand them for more than a couple laps.

laineybug
February 24th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Bought a pair of zoomers shortly after they came out. Have never used any other brand since.
Love them!

ALM
February 24th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I have a pair of Zoomers, too. I kind of alternate between them and the TYR Burners.

The Zoomers are heavier and stiffer than the TYR Burners.

Then why use the Zoomers? The reason I use the Zoomers is because they are heavier and I think they make my legs work a little harder (which is something I need).

The TYR fins may be the most comfortable I've ever worn, as far as the way the foot pocket fits. It's a nice, soft material and doesn't rub or chafe like the Zoomers sometimes do.

Anna Lea

DeniseMW
February 24th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I have a very small foot (size 3 women's), and I don't see the TYR fins as coming in a small size (3 Men's is as small as they come on the website, and that is much too big for my little feet). I couldn't find the Zoomers in a kid's size that fit, either, as they're either too big or too narrow.

Someone somewhere mentioned a pair of TYR fins that were especially light and good for beginners. Does anyone know what they might be?

Swimspire
February 24th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Masters swimmers love using fins, and I do agree that they can provide benefits to your overall swimming development. However, a few words of caution...

1) If you're going to purchase fins, I would recommend the shorter fins, as some of the others have suggested. Fins that adhere more to the shape of your foot will be better for strengthening purposes. All fins can have the potential of giving you ankle problems, but this is particularly noticeable with longer and larger fins. Furthermore, overuse of these type of fins can change the structure of your kick to your detriment.

2) Use fins only sparingly. Many swimmers love the speeds that they can achieve when they have their fins on, and they will start using fins as a crutch instead of as a tool. I would suggest limiting the time you spend with your fins.

DeniseMW
February 24th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Thanks, everyone, that is a great video. And thank you to Julia for the wise advice. I only started to use my fins recently, because I was told that it would help reduce somewhat the overuse of my shoulder, which is still in a lot of discomfort from rotator tendinitis. I find them to be rather cumbersome. And much heavier than my old snorkel fins, which would get me across the lane in, like, two seconds LOL.

I"m not much of a fins fan because of what Julia said, I think they too easily become a crutch. A friend uses her zoomers every time she swims, and never takes them off. I've been using Speed Short Blade Training Fins, and to me they just feel too heavy and like they're pulling my legs down.

FindingMyInnerFish
February 24th, 2015, 06:56 PM
One "benefit," I suppose, of the Zoomers' tendency to cause chafing (which can happen if I use them for too long in any given practice, even w / using Vaseline or Body Glide --these products help up to a point) is that I won't get addicted to them. :) I find them helpful for kick sets but they come off for everything else!

ALM
February 24th, 2015, 09:40 PM
I have a very small foot (size 3 women's), and I don't see the TYR fins as coming in a small size (3 Men's is as small as they come on the website, and that is much too big for my little feet). I couldn't find the Zoomers in a kid's size that fit, either, as they're either too big or too narrow.

Denise,

I have another pair of fins (also from fin testing!) that I use for open water that are too big for me. So I got a pair of neoprene socks and I wear them under the fins. The neoprene socks are thick (made of wetsuit fabric) and take up a lot of room. I'll bet that if you buy the smallest size of the TYR Burners, and then get a pair of neoprene socks, that they'll work together.

Here are examples of the socks (I own the Speedo Neo Socks):
http://www.swimoutlet.com/swim-socks-c9653/

DeniseMW
February 25th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Thanks, Jayhawk. That's a great idea, and I hadn't even considered it. I'd like to get to the swim store and try the TYR Burners and the Zoomers to see which are the better feel, but the fins from Australia looked pretty cool, too.

ElaineK
February 25th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I'm in that video that Swimosaur posted above. I still love the TYR Burner EBP Floating Fins that we tested in the video. I got a pair back then, they finally wore out, and I bought another pair.

Here's a link:

+1. I especially appreciate the flexibility and comfort of these fins. They are the only fins I have been able to use without wearing water socks to prevent blisters.

orca1946
February 25th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Zoomers real are stiff & rough on my foot. I much prefer Kiefer silicone fins that are softer. I use them only for full kicking sets.

knelson
February 25th, 2015, 05:51 PM
I can see wearing fins to reduce the strain on your shoulders, but is there any reason to use them otherwise? Other than to go faster, that is. Whenever I've worn fins I definitely go faster, but it doesn't seem to make me work my legs harder and I also wonder if the fins affect kicking technique.

Swimspire
February 25th, 2015, 07:01 PM
I can see wearing fins to reduce the strain on your shoulders, but is there any reason to use them otherwise? Other than to go faster, that is. Whenever I've worn fins I definitely go faster, but it doesn't seem to make me work my legs harder and I also wonder if the fins affect kicking technique.

Agreed. I do see a benefit to fins for the dolphin kick, but definitely not as much for the freestyle. Even if you do manage to strengthen your leg muscles using fins, I have observed that swimmers who use fins on a regular basis tend to have a slower kick rate. Additionally, the structure of the kick changes - as I mentioned earlier - with the tendency towards a bent-knee, wider style of kick. You can actually see this quite clearly in the review video posted above at about 1:47.

Many coaches tend to prescribe fins for beginner swimmers who have trouble completing specific drills. Personally, I think this is simply taking the easy way out. Instead of adjusting the drill to allow these swimmers to strengthen their kick and their core unaided, putting the fins on is a quick way to make the swimmer feel faster and allow the practice to proceed without interruption or additional coaching.

Bottom line: use fins - or any other swim tools - sparingly!

__steve__
February 25th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I use fins quite liberally. They've had a positive impact on my speed and shoulder health. Maybe I'm using the perfect type for me.

knelson
February 26th, 2015, 12:11 AM
I use fins quite liberally. They've had a positive impact on my speed and shoulder health. Maybe I'm using the perfect type for me.

What kind do you use, Steve?

FindingMyInnerFish
February 26th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Agreed. I do see a benefit to fins for the dolphin kick, but definitely not as much for the freestyle. Even if you do manage to strengthen your leg muscles using fins, I have observed that swimmers who use fins on a regular basis tend to have a slower kick rate. Additionally, the structure of the kick changes - as I mentioned earlier - with the tendency towards a bent-knee, wider style of kick. You can actually see this quite clearly in the review video posted above at about 1:47. ...

Bottom line: use fins - or any other swim tools - sparingly!

I'm intrigued by this comment on the change in kick. My coaches have had me use fins for kick sets for the purpose of improving my kick (which tends to be more from the knees with feet not pointed). The idea seemed to be that the fins would help correct that. I will say I'm glad to have them for kick sets b/c instead of being hopelessly behind everyone else, I'm only a LITTLE behind everyone. I still have a ways to go. Typically I won't use the fins for anything but kick sets--the toe chafing aspect keeps me honest that way, but also I would rather not get too used to something I can't use for racing.

DeniseMW
February 26th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I only use the fins for two reasons - reduce shoulder strain, and loosen up my legs and ankles. When I take them off, my kick just feels stronger somehow. I only do a few laps with them to warm, certainly, I don't use them for my entire workout, they're too uncomfortable.

__steve__
February 26th, 2015, 11:08 AM
What kind do you use, Steve?Arena Tech Pro's, but when I bought them they were called Hydro Tech II's

I use these for near all-out sprints, challenging drills that I couldn't otherwise sustain, or just carrying them on my feet for ez and recovery swimming between efforts. This turns out to be the majority of time in the water.

When I do kick sets the fins are off.

ganache
February 26th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I know that this thread is on fins, but many people have a slower or "weaker" kick because of incorrect technique. The link below shows a good kick versus a bad kick. Basically in a weak freestyle kick, the knee moves upward or away from the direction of the kick. This results in the foot not really providing the propulsion seen in a good kick. This can visualized as if when kicking a ball, your knee moves backwards as your foot moves forwards. Kicking with fins to be able to keep up in practice may just hide the problem - it is probably best to improve one's technique. I know that fins can help in strengthening the kick.

http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=2175&itemid=4065&mid=11656

ALM
February 26th, 2015, 04:38 PM
DeniseMW, here are your small-sized fins:

DMC Swim "World's Best Training Fins"
http://www.dmcswim.com/worlds-best-training-fins

I looked at these fins a couple of years ago at a vendor booth at the United States Aquatic Sports annual convention. I even tried some on - they are silicone, which I think may last longer than other types of fin material. Someday I'm going to buy myself a pair of them.

au-girl98
February 27th, 2015, 08:52 AM
I have had fins for a couple years but only used them sparingly. I just started going to coached Master's practices this year and we almost always use them for the warm-up set. I also have shoulder issues (tendonosis and impingement in my rotator cuff) and fins have helped. I like fins because it lets me warm up my shoulders without putting a lot of pressure on them. I have found that as I get older it takes a lot longer to get fully warmed up for harder sets. I was still struggling with shoulder issues but using fins for warmup has helped.

I have 2 sets and rotate based on what I'm feeling that day or stroke. I use TYR flexfins, a traditional long fin. They are super comfortable, flexible and lightweight (in the water.) I also have TYR Burner EBP short fins to keep me honest. :) I like these too but just don't use them as much.

magick17
February 27th, 2015, 10:37 AM

Here's a link:
I like mine too the only one that does immediately cramp my legs but they feel like Frankenstein shoes...

Water Rat
February 27th, 2015, 12:21 PM
I can see wearing fins to reduce the strain on your shoulders, but is there any reason to use them otherwise? Other than to go faster, that is. Whenever I've worn fins I definitely go faster, but it doesn't seem to make me work my legs harder and I also wonder if the fins affect kicking technique.Kirk, I use them for simulating race pace or faster speed. I do think it helps in that regard. Whether it makes me go faster without them, I'm not sure BUT I do know after I've worn them, i'm exhausted. In other words, I only use them when I want to go fast (swimming or kicking), not when I just want to make some long kick set interval. They have definitely helped me with my underwaters. no question. I like long firm fins. not the zoomers.

DeniseMW
March 1st, 2015, 09:05 AM
Jayhawk, those fins come in my size, yay, and even though they're expensive (yikes) and would probably cost a fortune to ship from Australia, they look like they're pretty comfy. Were they heavy when you tried them on, or comparable to the lighter fins?

ALM
March 1st, 2015, 07:03 PM
Jayhawk, those fins come in my size, yay, and even though they're expensive (yikes) and would probably cost a fortune to ship from Australia, they look like they're pretty comfy. Were they heavy when you tried them on, or comparable to the lighter fins?

I don't believe they ship from Australia; they have a distributorship in the U.S. (California). So I think they would charge U.S. shipping rates.

I'd say they were probably lighter than the Zoomers; maybe more on par with the TYR Burners. The fact that they are silicone means they will probably last a lot longer than most other fins.

Anna Lea

Sportygeek
March 3rd, 2015, 07:30 PM
I have the DMC fins - most popular brand in my (Australian) club by far, and significantly lighter than the Speedo fins I was using previously.

ALM
March 4th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I have the DMC fins - most popular brand in my (Australian) club by far, and significantly lighter than the Speedo fins I was using previously.

Hey, determinedtri,

Which model of the DMC fins do you have:

DMC Swim Training Short Fins (open-back foot pocket)
http://www.dmcswim.com/swim-training-short-fins

or

World's Best Training Fins (closed foot pocket)

How do you like them? Which model do most of your teammates have?

Anna Lea

Trondi
March 7th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Diving fins for me. Never used any other type. They really help ankle flexibility. About 400m a week ONLY.

DeniseMW
March 7th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I ordered the dmc fins online in a size xx small, so hopefully they'll fit. They charge $13+ for shipping, so I'm banking on their customer service being good and not charging shipping if I have to return them. No one in the area sells them, or even the Tyr Burner fins, only Speedo, so if the dmc fins are lighter than Speedo and fit, I'll be really happy.

ourswimmer
March 7th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Hey, determinedtri,

Which model of the DMC fins do you have:

DMC Swim Training Short Fins (open-back foot pocket)
http://www.dmcswim.com/swim-training-short-fins

or

World's Best Training Fins (closed foot pocket)

How do you like them? Which model do most of your teammates have?

Anna Lea

You didn't ask me exactly, but I have the open back ones. I love them. They do not chafe my feet and for me they are stiff enough to add resistance but not so stiff, heavy, or long that they hurt my ankles or slow my kick cadence. I got them from SwimOutlet.com about two years ago.

I like using fins sort of as resistance training. I do hard kick sets with a lot of rest between reps, usually on my back but sometimes on my front with my snorkel. Sometimes I swim with them too. Because they don't slow my kick cadence they also don't slow my arm turnover, although when I swim backstroke with them I have to be careful because they reduce my stroke count between flags and wall.

Like WaterRat, when I swim with my fins it's always on sets where I am trying to swim very fast. I never just swim with them to go faster and keep up. I am not even sure that I could use them that way, because they force me to six-beat kick and six-beat kicking against that extra resistance gets my HR up higher than anything else in practice except maybe a race with a teammate. But I think they can be useful to simulate going as fast as or even faster than I would in a race.

jgale
March 13th, 2015, 06:20 PM
I am a big fan of the Aqua Sphere Alphas - light comfortable and close fitting. I have a pair of Arena's version of the DMC. They provide great propulsion but are a little loose on my foot in the correct size.

aztimm
March 16th, 2015, 05:51 PM

Here's a link:

Based on your recommendation, I ordered these fins. I've had them for about 10 days and have worn them for almost that many workouts :)

They were a bit of an adjustment (I had been using Speedo Biofuse fins). One thing I thought was strange at first (but now like) is that the foot kind of molds around your foot. They are much much lighter than the Biofuse. The first time I wore them, it almost felt like I wasn't wearing any (and I definitly feel the difference in my bag). They're a bit more flexible than the Biofuse too (a little adjustment, but not too much).

Overall, I'm quite happy with them.

Swimming with a masters group, I pretty much wear fins when the coach says ;)
(I do occasionally deviate)
I'd guess on average I'll use fins for 400-500 yards per workout. Some workouts I won't use them at all...and some others it could be close to 1,000.

ALM
March 19th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Based on your recommendation, I ordered these fins. I've had them for about 10 days and have worn them for almost that many workouts :)

They were a bit of an adjustment (I had been using Speedo Biofuse fins). One thing I thought was strange at first (but now like) is that the foot kind of molds around your foot. They are much much lighter than the Biofuse. The first time I wore them, it almost felt like I wasn't wearing any (and I definitly feel the difference in my bag). They're a bit more flexible than the Biofuse too (a little adjustment, but not too much).

Oh, wow, you made me a little nervous there, buying something on my recommendation, but I'm glad they're working for you! I like the same things you mentioned - they are lightweight and the foot pocket is very comfortable.

Anna Lea

DeniseMW
March 23rd, 2015, 08:17 AM
DMC fins came, so I'm taking them to the pool. They feel heavy, though, heavier than my Speedos, so I hope they are all right.

ALM
March 23rd, 2015, 04:23 PM
DMC fins came, so I'm taking them to the pool. They feel heavy, though, heavier than my Speedos, so I hope they are all right.

I can't wait to hear your review! My decision to buy may be partially based on your review.

DeniseMW
March 24th, 2015, 08:09 AM
I love my new DMC fins. They feel heavy at first, but the shorter fin gives me good propulsion without making me feel like I'm sinking, and they also seem to help my form. Wearing fins takes some getting used to, but the xs fit me pretty well and didn't hurt my feet at all. Someone said not to use them a lot at first. So I only used them for a few laps. But when I took them off, I noticed my kick was much stronger.

Also, I was able to swim yesterday without shoulder pain for the first time in months. I think fins do take pressure off my shoulders.

renie
March 25th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I use the Tyr Crossblade fins, although I'm starting to think they might be too heavy for my feet.

I don't understand why anyone wears Zoomers. They are IMO "non-fins". They don't do a thing for me. Maybe I don't know how to properly use them? :confused:

ALM
March 26th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Just found out that we will be testing fins for an upcoming issue of SWIMMER. Boxes of fins are arriving daily here at the office. :cheerleader:

FindingMyInnerFish
March 28th, 2015, 03:53 PM
I use the Tyr Crossblade fins, although I'm starting to think they might be too heavy for my feet.

I don't understand why anyone wears Zoomers. They are IMO "non-fins". They don't do a thing for me. Maybe I don't know how to properly use them? :confused:
I got Zoomers after a pair of Speedo fins totally didn't work out -- felt like cement blocks on my feet. Someone in my swim group let me try her Zoomers and the improvement was dramatic. All relative, I suppose!

CraigH
March 30th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I had Zoomers since they first came out, but I am deciding whether to get fins for breaststroke, my primary stroke. Has anyone tried Speedo breaststroke fins or Finis positive drive fins?

gobears
March 30th, 2015, 05:28 PM
@ CraigH - I experimented with the breaststroke fins one practice (I think they were Speedo). As a breaststroker, I found them odd because I felt like I was using different muscles than I usually do to kick. I hear that you have to be very careful with them in regard to possible knee irritation. They are really great for those swimmers who can't turn their feet out for breaststroke kick - I've seen more than one swimmer learn to turn their feet out correctly using breaststroke fins.

I'd be interested to hear what Allen Stark has to say about them - I think his ideas about breaststroke kicking in practice (treading-style) might be better for a breaststroker than the breaststroke fins but I only have the one experience with the fins to make that call...

jgale
March 30th, 2015, 07:46 PM
I have a couple of pairs that I like. I have a pair of Aquasphere Alphas that I keep in my locker at the Y. They are flexible, soft (no chafing), and fit my narrow foot wel - very comfortable. I also have a pair of DMC short training fins that I keep in my swim bag in the car. As they are silicone fins they don't chafe. They are stiffer than the Alphas and offer more propulsion. They don't fit quite as snuggly either but it makes them easier to change during sets.

Allen Stark
March 30th, 2015, 08:26 PM
@ CraigH - I experimented with the breaststroke fins one practice (I think they were Speedo). As a breaststroker, I found them odd because I felt like I was using different muscles than I usually do to kick. I hear that you have to be very careful with them in regard to possible knee irritation. They are really great for those swimmers who can't turn their feet out for breaststroke kick - I've seen more than one swimmer learn to turn their feet out correctly using breaststroke fins.

I'd be interested to hear what Allen Stark has to say about them - I think his ideas about breaststroke kicking in practice (treading-style) might be better for a breaststroker than the breaststroke fins but I only have the one experience with the fins to make that call...

I tried a pair at a clinic and I only swam a 25 with them as I thought they put undue strain on my knees. That was at a time when my knees were in worse shape than they are now,so YMMV. I have had several people who were not "natural breaststrokers" who felt they really helped them learn the feel of the kick. I have not heard the same from "natural breaststrokers."I think if you have a good BR kick already they are probably not worth it,but if you don't,they may help. This is in keeping with my thoughts about paddles,they can be a real help with stroke mechanics,but if you are primarily using them to increase resistance,you may end up with sore shoulders.

Swimspire
March 30th, 2015, 10:52 PM
I tried a pair at a clinic and I only swam a 25 with them as I thought they put undue strain on my knees. That was at a time when my knees were in worse shape than they are now,so YMMV. I have had several people who were not "natural breaststrokers" who felt they really helped them learn the feel of the kick. I have not heard the same from "natural breaststrokers."I think if you have a good BR kick already they are probably not worth it,but if you don't,they may help. This is in keeping with my thoughts about paddles,they can be a real help with stroke mechanics,but if you are primarily using them to increase resistance,you may end up with sore shoulders.

Couldn't agree more, Allen!

ElaineK
March 31st, 2015, 10:25 AM
Adding to what Allen said, Speedo breaststroke fins also put a lot of strain on the hips and adductors. Since having arthroscopic hip surgery, I don't plan on using my breaststroke fins again. If anybody would like to purchase a pair that is like new, I have a pair available!

gobears
March 31st, 2015, 03:41 PM

Thanks, Allen!

aztimm
March 31st, 2015, 08:01 PM
Has anyone tried Speedo breaststroke fins or Finis positive drive fins?

I've had the Speedo breaststroke fins for several years now (I'm guessing at least 3), and I really like them. There are a few caveats:
* you can't just hop in the pool, put them on, and expect to just go. at least I need to swim a good ~600 first, with some easy breaststroke to get my body warmed up
* they aren't intended to be used while kicking with a board
* you can combine them with the Speedo fingertip paddles

I really like doing a set like this:
* 4 x 50 breast (no equip)
* 4 x 50 breast, w/fingertip paddles
* 4 x 50 breast, w/breaststroke fins
* 4 x 50 breast, w/fingertip paddles + breaststroke fins
wait at least a minute
100 breast for time (no equipment)

I use an interval where I'll get ~10 sec rest for the 50s, possibly changing it by round (I'm significantly faster with equipment)

secondheart
April 1st, 2015, 10:16 PM
Just an opinion - doing the correct breast stoke kick with fins equals :cane: (javascript:void(0))

DeniseMW
April 2nd, 2015, 08:36 AM
I've been using the new DMC fins and I'm still not sure I like fins in any form. They feel heavy on my feet, heavier even than my old snorkel fins, and wonder if perhaps I'm using them wrong or expecting something they're not meant to do, which is alleviate stress on my shoulder. My legs are very tired after I use them for only a few laps. Maybe I'm not used to them. Or maybe I'm just not someone who likes fins.

ElaineK, I intended to pem you to tell you I was sorry you had to go through arthroscopic hip surgery. I hope you are on your way to mending and getting back into the pool.

ElaineK
April 2nd, 2015, 10:43 AM
ElaineK, I intended to pem you to tell you I was sorry you had to go through arthroscopic hip surgery. I hope you are on your way to mending and getting back into the pool.

Thanks, Denise! I was only out of the pool for two weeks (while I still had my stitches); but those two weeks were *&#! :waiting:

The next 9 weeks were spent swimming exclusively with a pull buoy, because my doctor told me, "No kicking!" At least I was in the pool, and I got a pair of strong shoulders out of it! :weightlifter:

Now I am in normal training mode; however, no racing until May, and I can't kick breaststroke until this summer. My training times are still slow, but I'm a happy camper! :bliss:

renie
April 6th, 2015, 10:45 AM
I've been using the new DMC fins and I'm still not sure I like fins in any form. They feel heavy on my feet, heavier even than my old snorkel fins, and wonder if perhaps I'm using them wrong or expecting something they're not meant to do, which is alleviate stress on my shoulder. My legs are very tired after I use them for only a few laps. Maybe I'm not used to them. Or maybe I'm just not someone who likes fins.

Hi Denise, I've used fins (almost too much) for at least the last 15 years with no problems. I used to wear Speedo's split training fins and loved them. They were softer, fit great, and not too heavy. The only problem is that they only last 2 months before the foot part split in the toe box. I switched to TYR crossblades, but now I've noticed more calf/foot cramping after 3000 yards (of swimming with and without fins, all strokes). They are heavier, and I'm sure that's the issue. I can't seem to find anything comparable to those Speedo fins, which BTW, are no longer available.:bitching: Hope they bring them back with in a more durable version.

Caitief
October 30th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I have a fins question! I have weirdly shaped feet (hammer toes primarily) and have never been able to use fins without my feet cramping like crazy in just a few minutes. It is really frustrating as we do sets with fins and I am falling behind without.

Anyone with a similar problem find fins (or a trick to fins) that work? Thanks

car0046
October 8th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Necro-bumping a relatively old thread here with a question; for those of you that are familiar with both the DMC Elite training fins and the Hydro Tech 2 training fins, is there a difference between the two? They look exactly identical to me, except for color choices (and brand, obviously). If there's a difference, any preference between the two?

viensdans
February 24th, 2017, 06:32 PM
i saw a hole under Tech 2 and no hole up. dmc has a hole on up and no hole under fins

opeleroy
February 28th, 2017, 05:07 PM
I picked up a pair of the DMC Elites a couple months ago and am not sure how I lived without them.

I've been using them quite liberally without any hint of a blister, which is a first. I've tried every set under the sun, from the old-school Zoomers during my age group years, which would completely gash up my heels (we would wear thick cotton socks to ward this off with limited success) to my most recent set, the TYR CrossBlade which tear surprisingly easily (but are also one of the few fins that come in larger sizes).

One thing that I would add with the DMC fins is that their sizing is quite generous.