PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Start A Masters Swim Team

Iwannafly
March 4th, 2015, 09:19 PM
I only started swimming, other than goofing off in the water, in 2006 in an effort to lose some weight. Anyway, after a couple of month of swimming on my own, I worked up the nerve to jump in for a masters practice. Needless to say, I got completely hooked. I got hooked to the point that I talk to anyone and everyone associated with local swimming about strokes, times, drills, etc. I've become pretty good friends with the head coach of the age-group swim team.
Our masters swim group practices M, W, and F at lunch time. We don't pay a dime other than the Y membership to practice with a USAS-certified coach. However, this causes a fair amount of angst with the age-group team, which pays the salary of our USAS-certified coach and a huge chunk of the operating costs of the two YMCA pools in our town.
In an effort to get more swim practices for myself, and possibly more access to age-group stroke clinics, I have been trying to get the age-group team to start a masters team. But they've been blocked by the YMCA. So, I thought if I could get the people I swim with now, several of whom are very influential people in the community, I might have a better chance of getting both more lane time and a team affiliation other than the state-wide one that is currently available.
I would love some advice from anybody who has had experience in starting a masters program in their community.

Timswim
March 25th, 2015, 02:51 PM
USMS has a web page that tells you how to Start a USMS Program. Here is the link:

http://www.usms.org/coach/content/startaprogram?utm_campaign=top_nav&utm_medium=local_programs

Bill Brenner bill.brenner@usms.org, , and Mel Goldstein goldsteinmel@sbcglobal.net, are great resources for starting a masters swimming programs.