PDA

View Full Version : Swim Meets?

Conniekat8
March 9th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Do you go/like to go to swim meets?

Other than perhaps competing, what do you like the most about coming to the swim meets?

Are you contemplating coming to one, but need a little bit of encouragament to actually go?

KenChertoff
March 9th, 2004, 10:57 PM
I go to at least eight meets a year -- they're really my main motivation. :)

What I like most is being part of a team, at a competitive event. (My team is very competition-oriented.)

"Competing" in terms of finishing first, second or third is secondary, though -- I'm more concerned with comparing my times with how did before. :)

I really think people who are afraid or reluctant to go to meets are missing the best part of masters.

jerrycat
March 9th, 2004, 11:34 PM
and it was a great time. my husband was bored to tears though...I intend to more in the future, as they are a source of motivation and really spark it up a bit.

also, i love to see all the people share the same passion, laugh, try their best, and have commrodory (sp?). It's way cooler than it was in high school, and much more enjoyable for sure.

i got the biggest kick out of mixed gender and mixed age starts--I just loved it!

Conniekat8
March 10th, 2004, 12:59 AM
I love going to the meets... It's a chance to get out.
We have some really neat people in our LMSC (SPMA), so it;s nice to mingle with them all, and get to know people.

Then you hop in and swim too.

My team is big on promoting camaraderie too, so there's a get-together, usually an early dinner after the meet that almost everyone from the team. Just a really neat group of people.

In ourt upcoming LCM SPMA and Southwest Zone championship we're planing on a social event. Even though it's way out at the end of July, I can't wait to see who will come and join us.

The neat thing is that people from other zones are welcome too, so if anyone wants to visit california at the end of July, and come to a fun-filled meet, theyr'e very welcome.

Oh, and, we're planing on some fun relay events too. Other than a serious championships, we want to make it a fun-zone meet as well.
It would be neat to meet all of you guys in person!

eliana2003
March 10th, 2004, 06:38 AM
I've never been to one- I do plan on doing two this summer (and maybe an open water swim- who knows) and I've registered for my first triathlon, which takes place in September. I'd like to do a postal before then.

My team is REALLY competitive (like ex-national swimmers, nationally ranked triathletes), but I'd still like to compete at a meet- it will give me a sense of my own times and help me overcome my shyness... maybe...

Edward The Head
March 10th, 2004, 08:02 AM
I goto the majority of meets around the DC area. I go just so I can see how I have been doing, plus it's fun to be able to watch others swim and to talk with my swim team. Though it's almost always about swimming, go figure. Oh and I like to girl watch too, though I wish I could talk instead of just look.

James
March 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM
I was at my first meet in 13 years and was immediatly hooked to events again. I can't wait for my next meet on the 20th of this month!!:D :D