PDA

View Full Version : Questions About "Out of the Box and Into the Pool"

AngelKing
March 12th, 2004, 01:48 AM
I'm not sure what "stroke drill" and "swim" are refering to. I'm guessing swim is any choice of stroke but what about the stroke drill?

mattson
March 12th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I have not checked the post you are looking at. This is my interpretation of the terms. "Swim" is normally used when you are mixing in pull and kick sets, to make sure people don't get confused. "Stroke", while not the same as "non-free", usually implies that any stroke but freestyle is encouraged. :)

Sabretooth Tiger
March 12th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Here are how those terms are used at the Rose Bowl:

"Swim" means swim the full stroke, whatever it may be;

"Drill" means specific drills per stroke. For example, with freestyle you might do "catch-up" with your strokes, letting you hands "catch up" ahead of you before you begin to pull, or you may do breathing drills such as 3, 5, 7, 9. Fly drills you might do one arm pulls doing 3 right, 3 left, 3 full. Breaststroke you might do three kicks to each pull. Backstroke you might to double overhead pulls. Drills tinker with the stroke and have you focus on a particular skill, and there are a whole lot to choose from. Talk to your coach (if you have one).

"Pull" means no kicking, usually using a pull buoy and sometimes paddles.

"Kick" means no pulling, may be w/ or w/o board, w/ or w/o fins. Maybe kick drills (fly kick on right, then on left, on back, etc.).

Hope this helps explain.

carl

Mo Chambers
April 6th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks Carl, you're exactly right.

The introductory thread in the "Out of the Box" workouts will give you lots of ideas for stroke drills and further explain many of the terms I use in the workouts.

Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions!
MO