PDA

View Full Version : Pacing for 100,200, 400 and 800

Aussig
March 17th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Can someone give me some pointers on the most effective way to develop a race pace in the warmup sessions .
I have tried swimming a couple of timed 25m swims as a warm up at race pace only to find the pace in the event is either too slow or the paino dropped in the last lap.
I'm swimming our Nationals in a couple of weeks ( up to 3 events per day) and need to nail this pacing problem.

Paul Smith
March 17th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Gordon,
That's a fairly complex question, there are an incredible number of theories, opinions and rituals that folks could throw your way. Its even more complicated by the extreme range of distances your talking about, warming up for a 50 is very different (for me at least) than a 500.

My warms ups are probably very different than a lot of swimmers.I don't follow any "set" distance or routine, rather I let my body determine what I need. Bottom line is a mix of drills, kicks (especially hard out of turns with long streamline), pace 50s (determenid by that days event) from a push and 1 or 2 dive 25s.

I try to get in and warm up early, then hit the pool about 15-20 minutes before my race (mostly splashing around).

Best of luck, keep experimenting!

Tall Paul

DocWhoRocks
March 23rd, 2004, 01:32 PM
What works for me (love distance) starts in practice. Everyday in practice I always make sure to look at the clock to see what pace I'm holding per hundred. That way you know the difference in effort you have to put forth to drop 1 second per hundred, 2 seconds per hundred, etc.

For a meet I'll do around 1200 warm up then go do 5x100s on about 1:30 at the pace I'd like to hold for the event. For me those 100s will let me know where I'm at that day. Whether the pace I want to hold should not be a problem (which usually translates to an overall faster time than my goal time) or whether I know I'm going to have to work REALLY hard to achieve my goal time.

thinkersw
November 29th, 2004, 12:45 PM
I think warmup is a little late to be thinking of pacing. I do distance as well and I start preparing for pacing at least six months before the races. I do 10x100 on 1:50 Free holding the pace I want to go. If I am preparing for the 800, I want to hold 1:10 and I hold this pace and get a lot of rest. When I get in my race, I know what a 1:10 feels like and then I can hold this pace. In warmup I ususally do at least a 1000 and I let my body tell me when to stop.