PDA

View Full Version : Video Analysis

Conniekat8
March 18th, 2004, 02:49 PM
How many of you are using video analysis in your coaching, training, clinics and lessons?

What are your experiences?

Does anyone use Dart-Fish products in particular? What do you think of them?

DocWhoRocks
March 23rd, 2004, 01:25 PM
Video analysis can be very helpful. I've only used it when coaching age group swimmers though. For them, it just depended on whether the kid was really into swimming or not. That is if they paid attention to what I told them to do, then realized what they were doing on the video was not what they thought they were doing.

As for me, it really helps me see exactly what I'm doing wrong & right under the water.

Conniekat8
April 8th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I don't recall if I asked you, Doc,
Do you do any coaching right now?

Do you have access to an underwater cam/?
If you did, how often would you use it? Would you charge extra for a lesson or a clinic or a session with a camera?

DocWhoRocks
April 8th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Not really 'coaching' right now. I'll help out some of the club kids here and there during practice. But no 'real' coaching.

No access to an underwater cam right now. In college we'd do underwater taping about once a month or so.

As far as charging for camera lessons - it depends. For private lessons I would, but if I were to do it as part of regular practice I would not.

Again for how often I'd use it, it'd depend. If I saw good improvement with someone after using one, I may use more often. But probably not more than once every couple months. I wouldn't want to give a person too much to work on/think about at one time.

If you don't have access to an underwater camera, see if you can find a pool with windows. The pool I trained at growing up had a window in the diving well and our coach could then just go under the deck and tape us with a regular cam corder.

Conniekat8
April 8th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Actually, we just acquired an underwater cam.
I'm kind of fishing to see how other people are using it. Perjhaps learn a thing or two from people's experiences.

At the moment, we use it for clinics, for the most part.
Also, I'm looking into Dart swim, wondering how useful other people have found it.

DocWhoRocks
April 8th, 2004, 04:10 PM
What I found most helpful is having a tv/vcr on deck. Right after you're done taping you can watch what you did and the coach can tell you what you need to change. Make adjustments and tape again, etc.

Never used Dart swim, can't comment.

Ryan@ICoachSwimming
May 3rd, 2004, 09:40 PM
I've used Dartfish before. It's a pretty good program. A bit complicated to learn at first, but an incredible tool. It's great if you want to archive film digitally and refer back to over time. But probably not necessary for just the occasional filiming.

Last I checked, it was a bit inconvenient to get the film onto a digital CD because of the formats it saved the movie files in.

Ryan@ICoachSwimming.com
www.ICoachSwimming.com (http://icoachswimming.com)

JohnQ
July 17th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Great tools to have and use frequently ... be sure to do a before sequence. When I first got my coach cam I took video of a student who had progressed greatly. But seeing only the "after" view without any idea of the "before" - she freaked ! Lesson learned for me !

Need a dart system and PC - next year !

Q

dpflyer
July 18th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Connie - since you live in Irvine you should talk with Michael Collins at NovAquatics. He uses video analysis and Dart in his coaching. Very adept and knowledgeable. Great coach. Say "hi" to Jim Montrella for me at Mission Viejo. Dick

Kevin in MD
July 21st, 2004, 09:05 AM
I have had some success and some failures with the video sessions.

I limit it to very *specific* things that need improvement. And to swimmers who I think really need to see what is going on.

I have become gun shy about using it with women. I have heards too many, "I look like crap" quotes when they see the video.

At that point it is useless. They can't see the tree for the forest. All they see is that "they look like crap."

I have found a small handycam type camcorder to be more useful than underwater video. The handycam I carry around during practice and shoot 5 seconds of someone as they are swiming the set. Then show them at the end of the interval on the viewscreen built in to the camcorder.This is helpful because it shows the same things I see.

Bill Cleveland
October 1st, 2004, 12:41 PM
Our team does regular sessions with underwater video taping.

We have a masters program with swimmers from mastering basic swimming skills to nationally ranked swimmers.

Video taping has been a very valuable tool. We use it in clinics and in regular workouts. We typically use this sequence:
-tape the swimmer for a 25 from the side
-tape the swimmer for a 25 from the front
-review the tape right away

The visual learning aspect of this has been extremely valuable and has helped "get over the hump" with a number of swimmers on specific technical areas.

Dave Chambers
March 7th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I agree with the previous poster.

I only use above water becasue that is what I am seeing and that is the explanation that I give. When explaining corrections to swimmers you want them to be able to visualize themselves. If I show them an under water shot of them I feel that the message gets crossed over.

What are other peoples thoughts on above or under water camera.

breastroker
March 8th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Taping from the side and front are best done with underwater cameras. Not much of the stroke is above water, and swimmers and coaches can get the wrong ideas from above water.

The old Coach Scope that would do above and below water at the same time was great too.

MIchael Collins is one of the most technically successful coaches around. His presentations are always great.

mattson
March 8th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Nadine held a clinic this past weekend, and she included videotaping. It was nice to see that my butterfly is not quite as screwed up as I imagined. On the other hand, I had no idea how much I was rushing the push-back part of the pull. I never would have been clued in if I hadn't seen it on tape.

geochuck
November 4th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I like this progrm it is cheaper and easier to use http://www.sportsmotion.com/

Scott Rabalais
January 20th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Video analysis has been an integral part of my coaching for both Masters and college for over 10 years. It has enhanced both my coaching and the swimmers' perceptions immensely. To me, a coach is not complete without it.

Recently, I embarked on a new venture to provide such a service to swimmers of all ages. It is detailed at http://www.swimclips.com