PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

StcSwimmer06
March 19th, 2004, 09:19 PM
My school swim team is over, I was glad for about a week but now I miss it and cant wait untill next winter. I haven't been able to do any work outs. When I was having swim practice every night I have noticed I was in a better mood the next day. And always felt better aobut my self. Does anyone have any dry land work outs? I am in a horrible situation.....The nearest pool that I could do a workout in is 45 min away...I can't drive.....I dont Like to run...I have never been good at it and dont like it at all The gym that is in town cotsts too much to egt a membership too. I'm definatly very limited on what I can do...i also need to lose weight...I'm very self confident...or unconfident :-/ I just need..well, help i guess. if anyone has any ideas i would be thrilled to hear them .

Swimmily
March 19th, 2004, 09:45 PM
First I'd suggest you talk with your coach. Tell him/her how much you miss swimming and ask for advice and suggestions about what you can do. Does your school have regular PE? Ask one of the teachers to work with you to develop a plan.

What's happening in your school pool now? Is there any way to organize a workout with other team members or other students who would like a regular workout? You might have to pay for a lifeguard/coach.

Are there other schools in the area where you could join a workout squad or PE class?

Does the local gym have a pool? Are you qualified to work as a lifeguard? Can you exchange volunteer work for membership fees?

What's the weather like in Ohio now? Can you bicycle? What about race-walking or a class at a community center? Basketball is a great workout, how about some 1:1 with a friend?

There is something for you -- it sounds like exercise is really important for you to feel good about yourself, physically and mentally--put your thinking cap on and give everything at least a try.

Good Luck!

londoner62
March 20th, 2004, 10:09 AM
I would suggest if you want to stick with swimming and you compete, do land exercises that would be beneficial to that end. I t seems a little pointless to me to learn a new sport just to fill the time ap until the pool is available again.

Paul

eliana2003
March 21st, 2004, 08:01 AM
Where did you swim before? If you swam at your school, do they have a public lap swim? Many schools here in FLA. have swim teams, and allow the general public to purchase 'swims' to swim during the evening or around noon, which are advertised in the local adult education listings. Some may even be free.

Failing that, i strongly suggest that you talk to your coach- s/he will probably be able to help you to put together an off-season training programme (what does the rest of the team do during this period?).

Good luck!

hammerheadcm
March 21st, 2004, 05:44 PM
maybe you should try doing aerobics with tapes, you could probably get some from the library. I have seen exercise shows on several different cable stations. If you have a bicycle it is an alternative to running and you will feel good after 30 minutes of intense riding. Self magazine has many ideas for working out that don't involve fancy equipment or gym memberships.

cinc3100
March 21st, 2004, 09:23 PM
My advise to all high school swimmers is to find a USA team or even a summer league team to work out or an open lap program. If I just swam during the school year, I would have endup on the JR Team since I don't have that much natural talent. Also, you can still do other sports, just swim at least 3 times a week year round.