PDA

View Full Version : Shameless Plug

Conniekat8
March 22nd, 2004, 04:58 PM
Okay, My turn to brag a little bit, if I may... ;)

I had a great meet yesterday.
Shaved 5 seconds off my 200 free. Iafter I got done almost fainting from the effort, I almost fainted again from surprize when I saw my time. It's the time I didn't think I could do (yet).

Then I dropped 2 secoinds in my 100 free, and a second in my 50 free.

Finally for 100 free I dropped into teens. I'm around 1:18-ish now.

Then my coach says, today at practice... Yeah, you're doing really well, if you stick with it for couple of years, you'll turn into a major contender.
:eek: i'll stick with it allright, but a major contender... ugh! We'll see.
Did I mention I have the best coach? ;)

eliana2003
March 22nd, 2004, 05:53 PM
Congratulations!

breastroker
March 22nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
Your coach is not the only one who said you would get a lot better. It takes a good two years to both get in shape and learn all the new drills and technique to get real fast.

You are doing great, attitude and the willingness to listen to the coach and then apply it is wonderful thing for a coach to see.

And yes you got a great coach.

Conniekat8
March 23rd, 2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by breastroker
Your coach is not the only one who said you would get a lot better. It takes a good two years to both get in shape and learn all the new drills and technique to get real fast.

You are doing great, attitude and the willingness to listen to the coach and then apply it is wonderful thing for a coach to see.

And yes you got a great coach.

Thank you!
Your input has been very valuable as well!
I very much enjoy talking with you, and hearing your input. I'm sorry the meet ran kind of fast, and we had to stop so abruptly at times.

Oh, next time, would you please honor us with your presence at the post meet dinner. We have a lot of fun at those :)

I do the best I can... which is not always a pretty sight ;) , but, it's getting better. :D
I'm enjoying the heck out of it, the swimming, and all the awesome people I'm meeting. It sure helps with the motivation.

And darn it, I didn't get to cash in my breaststroke kick demonstration... maybe next time.

tjburk
March 23rd, 2004, 08:53 AM
Connie, I haven't been on here very long, but I can tell you are a genuinely POSITIVE person. That makes all the difference in the world! With a good workout ethic and you say you have a good coach...you WILL go far!!!! Keep it up!:D

swimr4life
March 23rd, 2004, 09:37 AM
Connie! I really enjoy reading your posts. You have a very positive attitude and you are a very worthy opponent for debates with one of our favorite people!:rolleyes: Are you going to Indiana? I hope you plan on coming to Savannah, GA for the Long Course Nationals this summer. It is a beautiful city with a lot of historical sites....AND A BEACH!!!:D

Mark in MD
March 23rd, 2004, 09:56 AM
CONGRATULATIONS! I agree with Breastroker ... it takes time ... but patience and hard work wins out every time, doesn't it? Similar thing happened to me last summer doing two 800 freestyle events within 1-1/2 months of each other. Fainting is permitted as well as tooting your own horn. Besides, if you don't, no one else will do it for you. :D

DocWhoRocks
March 23rd, 2004, 12:37 PM
Congrats! :D

Just remember the hardest thing to becoming faster is the mental aspect. Practices can get boring ,you might not feel like going, etc. These are the times when you gotta force yourself to go if you want to continue in dropping times.

Conniekat8
March 23rd, 2004, 12:42 PM
Eliana, Breaststroker, Tracy, Beth, Mark and Doc :)

Awh, thank you guys, you're too kind!!

I love swimming, always had, and it wasn't untill just recently that I created the opportunity to start participating in it. I wanted to as a kid, but didn't get a chance (different country, different schools system etc...)
Growing up on the mediterranean coast, and being in the water a lot, I always thought I'd do relatively well in swimming... If I ever got in a really good physical condition.

One of the SPMA guys recently asked me if I 'feel talented' for the sport. Well, I have a hard time making such a statement, but, yea, I think there is a little bit of talent there, parhaps all the hours and hours that I spen in water as a kid gave me the feel for the water, perhhaps all the skin-diving I did helped some... I really feel at home in water.

So far, I don't have trouble understanding how things work, or picking up on what the coach wants me to do... my physical condition, or lack thereof is the biggest obstacle... but, in time, that will change. It's changing already. Yea, it would be nice if it can improve faster, but, the body an regenerate only so fast.

I'm glad you guys tolerate ( dare I say like? ) my posts :D

Yes, I'm coming to Indy, I'm going to Italy for the FINA games, and I will be goming to Savannah. I'm very much looking forward to meetingyou guys, wherever the opportunity presents itself :)

My big mouth got me on the organizing committee for the 2005 LCM nationals that my home team is hosting, so I'm coming to all the big events this year to learn as much as I can.
Maybe by '05 I'll even have couple of NQT's ... we'll see.

Boring.... There's so much going through my head on regular basis, it is impossible for me to get bored. ;)
And, well, part of the reason that i got so involved with my team, and here and with my LMSC is to keep my interest up. It's the 'mental total immersion' ;)

tjburk
March 23rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
Connie, I am giving everything I can to make it there in 2005!!! I grew up in Southern California! Can't wait to come back out there! I've lived all over SoCal! Including Newport Beach. Spent most of my time inland though, in the San Gabriel Valley!:D

Conniekat8
March 23rd, 2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by tjburk
Connie, I am giving everything I can to make it there in 2005!!! I grew up in Southern California! Can't wait to come back out there! I've lived all over SoCal! Including Newport Beach. Spent most of my time inland though, in the San Gabriel Valley!:D

It would be awesome if you make it!!!
It's going to be a a fun event. Wer'eon the mission here to make it fun and competetive and a great experience for everyone.
I'm already hearing that in our LMSC people say that if you want to see an example of how the meest should be run, come to the meets my coach organizes... I'm still learning it all. But, we're planing on raising the bar for our SW Zone meet, and then another notch up for the nationals!

Up untill about a year ago, for some 10+ yeas I lived in Newport Beach. maybe we were neighbors at one time? ;)

Love the beach there!

Now I'm in transition, and moving little bit father south, Mission Viejo area. I think I want to be somewhere half-ways between the pool and the beach.

tjburk
March 23rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
I lived right on the corner of Seashore Dr. and Orange St, across from the Frog House when I went to Newport Harbor HS. Of course, that was a few years ago;) Hope to see you in Savannah!!!!:D

Conniekat8
March 23rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
I lived right on the corner of Seashore Dr. and Orange St, across from the Frog House when I went to Newport Harbor HS. Of course, that was a few years ago;) Hope to see you in Savannah!!!!:D

Oh, wow!
I spent a lot of time on that stretch when I used to rollerblade, in the early 90's. I lived just up on the hill, in a small complex by Hoag Hospital.
I used to zoom down that hill on my 5-wheel speedskates all the time, than make a quick right and skate right past where you lived and off to Huntington Beach Pier.

tjburk
March 23rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Used to surf the Huntington Beach Pier at night! That was back when we used to jump off the pier with our surfboards. I think they made that illegal!:( Used to save your arms instead of having to paddle out!:D

Conniekat8
March 23rd, 2004, 03:23 PM
How fun :)
When did you live in the area?

DocWhoRocks
March 23rd, 2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Conniekat8
Boring.... There's so much going through my head on regular basis, it is impossible for me to get bored. ;)

Not to be an ass or anything - just wait a couple/few years. I have never known a single swimmer who at some point does not get burnt out. It's at those times when you gotta push yourself to keep on going if you want to be keep getting better.

I myself have fallen victim to burn out as well. I was done with college swimming in '98 and it wasn't until last Oct. that I finally started swimming again.

"don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
you must fight just to keep them alive"
--Eye of the Tiger
So true.

SWinkleblech
March 23rd, 2004, 04:24 PM
DocWhoRocks
I think collage is different from masters. I feel their is so much more sportsmenship and a lot less competivness( I don't know if thats a word) in masters. I never swam in college but it seems that masters would be so much more fun and less likely to get burnt out.

I would say that their are those days I am so tired after work and don't want to work out. In the past years I would eaisly give into this and not work out. This school year my daughter comes to school with me so I take her swimming with me. When I say I would like to skip swimming she won't hear of it. I can say its hard to argue with a five year old.

Anyway Connie keep up the good work. I think I really admire your efforts.

Conniekat8
March 23rd, 2004, 04:24 PM
About burnout...

Oh, I believe you completely.
I'm not saying its' not gonna happen to me.

Heck, after being an engineer for 17 years, I know a lot about burnout :)

I've gotten pretty good at finding some new and interesting angle to get around it.

People who have known me personally for a long time know that I don't give up. Unless I see it's a destructive and not a worthwile battle.

I know from the past in general (life experience), it takes me 3-5 years to start approaching burnout. My approach to fixing that is to stick with the main path, and make a small change of scenery.
So, we'll see. hey, I'm a Taurus, I certainly know how to dig my heels in! ;)

DocWhoRocks
March 23rd, 2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by SWinkleblech
DocWhoRocks
I think collage is different from masters. I feel their is so much more sportsmenship and a lot less competivness( I don't know if thats a word) in masters. I never swam in college but it seems that masters would be so much more fun and less likely to get burnt out.

I'd agree with that - well I assume that's true, there's no masters team here :( , so I swim the local USS team. But burn out happens in most things people do for a long time.

My point was the hardest thing about swimming is staying mentally tough and stick with it :cool:

tjburk
March 24th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Connie, I lived in Newport in 1978 and 79:D

Conniekat8
March 25th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Connie, I lived in Newport in 1978 and 79:D

Well, darn, it was late 80's and 90's up till 2003 for me.
I was hoping we were neighbors ;)