PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and Abs

AngelKing
March 27th, 2004, 03:54 AM
I'm curious, what is the best swimming drill/stroke to work your lower abs?

Scansy
March 27th, 2004, 08:50 AM
You can work on abs by doing dolphin kicks, especially without a board. Just push off and kick, scull just enough to come to the surface and get a breath, then repeat. I about 1500-2000 yards total of this every week. You can also do the kick on your sides or back. It seems to work different abs that way.

DocWhoRocks
March 29th, 2004, 01:25 PM
I also recommend doing fly kick on your back, hands streamlined, with fins. Shorten the length of the kick and speed it up to work more of the upper abs.

Another drill that works the abs is one for turns. Float in the water, bent at the waist with your face just above water. Then do a flip as fast as you can. Do as many reps as you like. Good for getting a fast flip turn.

Vertical kicking, hold streamline position, is another one that can help. For an added challenge, hold a 5 lbs. or 10 lbs. weight above your head.

Or just doing sit ups in the water is killer. Put your legs (bent at the knees) on the deck, with back in the water. Do a sit up. Do as many reps as you can. For added challenge, go a few inches under the water before comming up.

AngelKing
March 31st, 2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the advice.