PDA

View Full Version : Lens Color?

Perkunas
March 27th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Excuse the simplicity of this question, but what is the best goggle lens color recommended for open water events? Would a different color be better for an overcast day compared to a sunny day?

I should offer that I have a color vision deficiency; no doubt this makes my situation a bit unique.

2go+h20
March 27th, 2004, 02:06 PM
It would depend on the distance. For example if you are doing a distance (5km) and you do the sighting yourself as opposed to say a 25km distance where you have a support boat beside you. While you do look up to sight, the boat crew do most of the 'major sighting' which when you are short sighted is great!
I would recommend that the Golden Rule "Never do anything new on Race Day" be adhered to. So train with different tinted goggles and see which works best in each condition.
I have several pairs for just that purpose. My "open water bag" houses it's own supply of 'tried and true goggles' and my support crew are familiar with this as well. It is a matter of personal preference, so try out different tints and see what works for you.
From my experience, (And I don't have a colour discrepency which would be tricky) I prefer lightly tinted. Dark tints can distort the colour and make it very difficult to differentiate landmarks and the buoys. Sighting to a bright orange buoy that has blended into the background is not recommended .;) Besides you miss out on all the great scenery you are swimming past.
So try out the colours and train with them. Do make sure that the goggles have UVA and UVB protection, and glare resistance.
You can check the colour distortion at an indoor pool by checking the different colours of the hands on the pace clock.