PDA

View Full Version : Officially Now A Master Swimmer

UKswimmer
March 30th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Last weekend saw me enter my first comp' as a Master Swimmer as am now 25. Trouble is I feel so old now...:( Is it down hill from now? Can I expect to get any faster?

Atleast there was one good thing that came out of it - there was no one else in my age group so I get gold for everything!

Tom Ellison
March 30th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Hey UK Swimmer....wow, your still very young my friend...MANY US Masters Swimmers in their 40's and above have actually swam times faster then when they were in high school...
Heck, when I was in HS I got down around the magic :50 second mark in the 100 yd free....and as a 47 year old Masters Swimmer
(I am 54 now) I swam a :54.4 100 free and I am not a sprinter....
My point is this....go for it my friend and you're going to find that the sky is the limit as to the times you can swim....

DocWhoRocks
March 30th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Remember, you're only as old as you think you are!

As for getting faster, that just depends on how fast you were growing up. I (27 now) swam in college and if I really trained hard like I did in college, I'm guessing I could get close to the times I used to swim (but I don't have the time to train 5-6 hrs. a day). As you get older it's almost inevitable you will not be as fast as you were in your teens/early 20s. Then again there are few people in their 30s & 40s that still swim at their life time bests :cool:

aquageek
March 30th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Don't worry, that 50 in your first meet you have to do naked will pass quickly. Choose a small meet to do it in.

Strange rite of USMS passage...

Matt S
March 30th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Aquageek,

You are an evil, evil man, and an infernal genius. You are also welcome at my party any time.

Matt

Conniekat8
March 30th, 2004, 12:14 PM
You guys are welcome to call yourselves old all you want.
Personally, I don't subscribe to that theory.
Old is when you're around 90 or so.

Mark in MD
March 30th, 2004, 12:33 PM
I'd be careful of any party Matt S. is hosting. :p Just a gut reaction. Old? Old is when you stop. When you stop, you fall apart. Right on, Beth! It's all about personal best. Showing up is most of the battle. If 25 is old ... I must be ANCIENT! (Don't start, anyone!) Don't know about the nekked 50 yards ... a belly flop from the block could be a bit painful. :(

swimr4life
March 30th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Welcome to Masters Swimming! PLEEEZZZZEEE! 25 is NOT OLD! It definitely doesn't "go down hill"! Your life at 25 is probably full of more responsibilities now than it was when you were training 5-6 hours a day! The fun now consists of doing your personal best MASTERS time. Wipe the slate clean and start over. Although!...at your age, with a good coach, hard work and some time, you can probably come close to your times! If you don't...so? Its fun, good exercise, great friendships.....keep it all in perspective. We're not training for the Olympics or to get a scholarship...we're each doing our individual best and swimming for the "health" of it!!:D

Msparks378
March 30th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Is it just me? It seems that the older I get, the faster I used to be.....

Leonard Jansen
March 30th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
Don't worry, that 50 in your first meet you have to do naked will pass quickly. Choose a small meet to do it in.

Strange rite of USMS passage...

50?!?!?!!?

They told me that it was a 1650! They also had me moonwalk the length of the pool to get to the start.

Someone's gonna pay...

-LBJ

Tom Ellison
March 30th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Awe Gee Aquageek, why on earth didn't you tell me this before now about first meets. Heck, we could all have gone to watch Connie swim...

DocWhoRocks
March 30th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Leonard Jansen

50?!?!?!!?

They told me that it was a 1650! They also had me moonwalk the length of the pool to get to the start.

Someone's gonna pay...

-LBJ

It's only a 1650 for people we don't like :p ;)