PDA

View Full Version : non stop swimming all free

tecumseh9
April 4th, 2004, 01:53 PM
There has been some discussion of non stop swimming all freestyle. I guess one obvious question is why are you swimming for aerobic fitness only this is fine. If one is training for distance swimming an argument can be made for this as part of a weekly training program. I (and people smarter than me) would argue that swimmers are too much in love with interval training as it relates to distance swimming, in the track world the Kenyans do some long steady runs in fact lots of them for their steeplechase, and 5 K and 10K and marathon runners.

mattson
April 5th, 2004, 12:01 PM
The advantage of interval training, even for long distance events, is that it gets your body ready for race pace. For a race, you can go right to the edge of your limits. It is tough to do that in practice, day in and day out (with work / kids / other activities to balance), so you swim a shorter interval that you can go faster. Then you repeat that enough times to give you the endurance base.

tecumseh9
April 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM
I would agree that some mileage needs to be race pace but most of the weekly distance should still be swum at an aerobic and not anerobic pace and there is no scientific reason why this cannot be done in one big bite. Track athletes and cyclists train this way. The reason why not many swimmers train this way is because of practical reasons it is difficult to run a practice this way. The coach I work with said if he tried an hour swim a third of his swimmers might get it right, a third would loaf and get nothing out of it and a third would swim too fast and go anerobic.

tecumseh9
April 5th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Here is an interesting article about Kenyan cross country training. All swimming races in the mile/1500 are really pretty short but some of these runners also race the the 1,500 or mile which would translate to 500/400 free.
Lots of drills, lots of speed work but also long aerobic runs.

tecumseh9
April 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM
oops
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0387.htm

2go+h20
April 27th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Good to see this type of discussion.
I believe that the simple application by the coach of the concept of Specificity to the training of endurance athletes is not enough. Endurance type training will satisfy only some of the needs of endurance athletes.
Continuous training: Applies during the off season and early pre season to improve the efficiency of the central oxygen transport system and to elicit positive changes in the heart and musculature itself. Maintain this elevated training state druing the pre season and inseason.
Interval training: Apply during the late pre season and in season to elicit positive, structual and bio chemical changes within muscle(s) specific to performance needs. Maintain these changes during the in season.
Effective application of both interval and continuous training to endurance is necessary to accomplish:
1. Maximize the ability of the central O2 transport system to pump blood efficiently and to transport blood effectively (Stroke volume + amount of haemaglobin within the blood)
2. Maximize the oxidative production capability at the local muscle level (Mitochondrial energy production).
3. Maximize the storage capability for O2 within the muscle (myoglobin)
4. Maximize the circulation ability of the particular muscle.
Any thoughts on this?

tecumseh9
April 27th, 2004, 08:17 PM
most of us Masters swimmers are not too concerned about season and rather seek a year long approach. Therefore I agree with you but think long swims and intervals are important all year round. There is also the psychological factor as others have mentioned sometimes you just don't have the mojo to swim hard intervals that day.

Scansy
April 27th, 2004, 10:28 PM
For me, and I suspect many others, some of each is the best - for the reason that it keeps us interested and at it. That is the most important thing sometimes.