PDA

View Full Version : "late bloomer" brag

swimshark
April 5th, 2004, 12:08 PM
I have to brag about my teammate. We just had our big Association Championships this weekend. We have this team member who started swimming in a coached practice May 2002. His first meet of his life was December 2002 (so no age group swimming). We even had to teach him how to dive off the block. Well, this weekend, he went 11:29.81 for his 1000 free. Not only did he do so well, but we were also swimming at around 3600 feet (we train around 200 feet) so the "sucking wind" played a role. This guy is awesome! He is really a sprinter but yet can do it all and all so well.:D . Congratulations K!

DocWhoRocks
April 5th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Cool beans :) Tell him I said congrats. I know hearing that from somebody he doesn't know will mean a lot! ;)

As for 3600 ft. - not too bad. I swam a meet this past weekend at 7250 ft.. Then again I live at 6500 ft., so not a big deal ;)

old dog
April 5th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Yikes! What pool is at 7250 Feet???????
Musta been some heavy breathin' going on!

DocWhoRocks
April 5th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by old dog
Yikes! What pool is at 7250 Feet???????
Musta been some heavy breathin' going on!

Laramie, WY - highschool pool & UW's pool. Was always fun in college when friends from other teams (from sea level) would come up to swim >:) hehe.

Also the USAFA pool is at 7250'. Nice 50 meter pool there.

swimshark
April 5th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by DocWhoRocks
Cool beans :) Tell him I said congrats. I know hearing that from somebody he doesn't know will mean a lot! ;)

As for 3600 ft. - not too bad. I swam a meet this past weekend at 7250 ft.. Then again I live at 6500 ft., so not a big deal ;)

I will tell him, thanks.

Wow, I don't know if I could have swam at that high of an altitude. I was sucking wind enough during the mile at 3600!

DocWhoRocks
April 5th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by swimshark

Wow, I don't know if I could have swam at that high of an altitude. I was sucking wind enough during the mile at 3600!

It's not too bad. Especially if you live here, you get acclimated within a couple weeks. You don't swim as fast as ya do at sea level, but it doesn't hurt nearly as much after a couple weeks.

Also it's fun to go back to sea level and drink all your friends under the table & you're still sober ;)

Conniekat8
April 5th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Awesome!!!!
How old is he?

swimshark
April 5th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Conniekat8
Awesome!!!!
How old is he?

Swimmer Bill
April 6th, 2004, 03:08 PM
There was another swimmer at the same meet, who at age 49 swam in her very first Masters meet after losing 133 lbs.!

She said "If you would've told me several years ago that I would be swimming in a swim meet, I would have said - Yah right!* What planet are you from?"

Her teammates are all so proud of her!!

It was a great meet for "late bloomers"

:)

Scansy
April 6th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Swimmer Bill
There was another swimmer at the same meet, who at age 49 swam in her very first Masters meet after losing 133 lbs.!

That is impressive! To lose that much weight and keep it off is very difficult. It takes a change of a whole lifestyle. She should be extemely proud of herself.:D

swimshark
April 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Swimmer Bill

She said "If you would've told me several years ago that I would be swimming in a swim meet, I would have said - Yah right!* What planet are you from?"

Her teammates are all so proud of her!!

It was a great meet for "late bloomers"

Oh "timer of my lane for the 200 free" (hee-hee) mind if I ask who this great weight loss person was? We had several on our team (5 or 6) that swam their first masters meet this weekend. They all did a great job and should be proud.