PDA

View Full Version : less yards

jsm545
April 5th, 2004, 09:15 PM
when the summer comes im going to be gone a good bit on vacation and im still planning on swimming but i wont be doing the yards my team will be doing. im used to anywhere from 5-7000 a day but ill probably only be getting 4000 when im gone. is there anyway for me to stay in shape without losing all i have worked for.

dorothyrd
April 5th, 2004, 10:11 PM
Can you cross train with running, biking, lifting weights? In the summer my yardage goes down do to not having as much pool time available for lap swimming. (kind of ironic isn't it), so I do other things to keep the fitness levels up.

sparx35
April 7th, 2004, 06:24 PM
try tapering as if getting ready for a race..ie.less yardage but done faster as if racing then with long recovery..just a suggestion im no coach you understand .if top swimmers do this 1 month b4 a race it SPEEDS them up (even with lots less yardage )see the thread on increasing speed,i learnt about it on there

Matt S
April 12th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Technique, technique, technique. Do stroke drills, improve your efficiency, and every second you give up in conditioning will be matched 2 for 1 in improved technique, AND those improvements will stay with you when you get back to swimming more yards.
Matt