PDA

View Full Version : New concept - professional photos at meets

osterber
April 7th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Hey all -- just wanted to share a new thing that we have tried here in New England. We hosted the New England Masters SCY Champs a week or two ago (about 620 swimmers this year, a bit small). As something new this year, we had a professional photographer at the meet snapping pictures. These pictures are all online and available for purchase. This is a practice that is very popular at triathlons, but I've never seen it done at a swim meet before. We're eager to see how well it works out, and to hear if anyone else has ever thought about this.

For those interested, everything is linked from the meet web site:

http://www.swimindex.com/meets/2004/nem-scy/

There are just over 1500 pictures available from the meet. Yup - one thousand five hundred.

-Rick

Mark in MD
April 7th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Rick,

Good idea! I took candid photos at the 2003 and 2004 Colony Zone Meets for the Colonies Zone Website (which are at low resolution). They are at the Zone site (2004) by clicking here (http://www.colonieszone.org/images/pixpage2.htm) and the 2003 pictures may be found by clicking here. (http://www.colonieszone.org/images/pixpage1.htm) I took them between my events ... while doing that, the same thought came to my mind this year and last year. (In fact, the officials were very nice about when I told them the purpose of my picture taking.) In addition, it would be nice to see some more pix available on such sites as you mentioned.

Mark

P.S.

Also, having a photog around would be especially nice for something else ... team pictures. How many times does the person in the camera left out because he's holding the camera?

dorothyrd
April 7th, 2004, 03:10 PM
A lot of the big age group meets I have gone to have a photographer. I have gotten some nice pictures of my kids this way. You take the heat sheet to their table and tell them what heat and lane to take pictures of and they do it. Later you pick out what you want and can have them done up fancy or just get the plain picture.

swimshark
April 7th, 2004, 05:07 PM
We have tried to get someone in the Portland area to take pictures but none will do it for a good price, or they want more than 500 swimmers and we usually don't have that many at a meet. So I rely on my husband to take some of me and my teammates. He does a great job.

KenChertoff
April 7th, 2004, 07:11 PM
That was done at Nationals in Ft. Lauderdale in, I think, 1995. I thought it was a great idea -- I've still got the pictures I bought on the wall. I've always wondered why it wasn't done more often.

Conniekat8
April 7th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Awesome!
Someone brought up something very similar at the organizing committee meeting for 05 nationals on our team, and we're looking int what it takes to have it available there.
Photos and/or video as souvenirs.
Personally, I really like the idea. I've seen something similar at couple of the open water race finishes last summer.

Gareth Eckley
April 8th, 2004, 10:03 AM
We had a photographer at the Masters swim nationals last year. I talked to the guy and got him to take some shots of me. I told him my heat and lane.
I thought that it was a great idea and I bought 2 copies of them.

I will attach the images and hope it works out !

Gareth Eckley
April 8th, 2004, 10:04 AM
This is the second image taken in my 200 free event.

Scansy
April 8th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Great photos Gareth. Seems to show that there is value in having a professional there who knows something about taking sports photos.

dorothyrd
April 8th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Yes, professional photographs are wonderful. The pictures I have of my kids only cost 5.00 each. On one of my son's state pics, I added wording to show it was at state and it was a minimal cost.

knelson
April 8th, 2004, 01:25 PM
I think it's a great idea, and one that is much easier to achieve with the availability of good digital cameras and cheap memory cards.

PhillyFish
April 12th, 2004, 07:03 PM
The 2003 Senior National Games had a professional photographer at their events. The photographer did an incredible job of capturing close-ups of everyone swimming. Too bad they were only at the swimming venue one day out of three for my age group. I would love to see a photographer at both the Zone and National competitions. Their rates are reasonable and you get to "see before you buy".