PDA

View Full Version : Everybody Swims -- Part II

swimtoad
April 9th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Hey Swimmers,

I'm back at hustling up results for meets around the country to put into the USMS data archive. I'd like to solicit your help.

Why?

The USMS searchable database (http://www.usms.org/comp/toptimes.shtml) assembles all uploaded meets into a single place that can be searched.

So What?

Haven't you ever swum an event that doesn't make the top ten? Haven't you wondered where you placed in that event nationwide? Well, the searchable database is a partial answer to those questions. But, it only works when meets are submitted to this particular database. Posting meets on local web sites or at Results.net won't allow them to be compared easily to other meets. We tried this actively two years ago for the database & it worked pretty well. Last year we were passive & not much happened. So, let's see if we can make it work again.

I have just recently uploaded 15 meets, many of them Zone championships or other large meets. Have a look at the web site (http://www.usms.org/comp/toptimes.shtml) and see where you stand. See what you need to do to win a national championship. If you have a favorite meet that's not in the database, let the meet director know & have the right kind of file sent to us. HTML and PDF files will not work. What is needed is the HyTek Meet Manager zipped backup file, or a ComLink file, or an SDIF file. Each of these is creatable from the Meet Manager drop-down export menu.

Please send your results to Mel Dyck (meldyck@rkymtnhi.com). If you are worried about birthday privacy issues, Meet Manager's latest version will allow you to export ComLink files without birthdates included. So, no excuses for not getting the meets in.

Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks in advance.

The SwimToad
aka Mel Dyck
Coach, Snow Mountain Masters

DocWhoRocks
April 9th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Does it have to an official master's swim meet?

For a friend's 40th b-day we had a swim meet. But as far as I know I was the only USMS swimmer there. Just curious as my time in the 500 would put me in 4th on the link you posted.

swimtoad
April 9th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by DocWhoRocks
Does it have to an official master's swim meet?

For a friend's 40th b-day we had a swim meet. But as far as I know I was the only USMS swimmer there. Just curious as my time in the 500 would put me in 4th on the link you posted.

Hmmm. Interesting question. I just reread the instruction statements on the TopTimes page & don't see the issue addressed. I can tell you that most posted meets have been official USMS meets (either recognized or sanctioned), or YMCA meets or World Masters meets. I don't recall informal meet results ever being posted.

At the moment, I'm inclined to say no to informal meets, since there is no real public record of the meet information. Maybe our Web Master will wade in on this one.

However, it seems to me that you ought to get yourself to the nearest sanctioned USMS meet and enter the 500 before the end of the reporting season. That would guarantee recognition!

Congratulations on your fast swimming anyway.

The Toad

DocWhoRocks
April 9th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by swimtoad

At the moment, I'm inclined to say no to informal meets, since there is no real public record of the meet information. Maybe our Web Master will wade in on this one.

That's what I would assume. But one can hope!
And no big deal if I don't make the list. I know what I went and that's all that matters to me :) There's always next season.

jim clemmons
April 10th, 2004, 01:35 AM
It must be an official "sanctioned" meet. Contact your local LMSC "official" person for details.

Rnovitske
April 10th, 2004, 08:53 PM
When I go to the page and click on the "meets whose results are submitted", and click on a meet in the listing, I get a page with a heading "list of participating teams.", but the rest of the page is blank. (I tried it in 2 different browsers, just in case it is a problem on my end.)

Is this a future feature or not working properly?

swimtoad
April 10th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Rnovitske
When I go to the page and click on the "meets whose results are submitted", and click on a meet in the listing, I get a page with a heading "list of participating teams.", but the rest of the page is blank. (I tried it in 2 different browsers, just in case it is a problem on my end.)

Is this a future feature or not working properly?

That's all its ever done in the years I've used it. I'm not sure about a future feature....

--The Toad

swimtoad
April 18th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Swimmers:

results from the just-completed YMCA SCY Nationals are now loaded into the 'Top Times' searchable database (http://www.usms.org/comp/toptimes.shtml). This added 3401 swims from 554 swimmers, a SUBSTANTIAL increase in the data.

Most of the big meets are now loaded, in advance of USMS Nationals. We are still hoping for the PacMasters results, pending recovery of data from a crashed computer.

Cheers,

-- The Toad

swimtoad
May 29th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Swimerzzzzz:

at the close of SCY season for 2003-2004, we now have 36 meets loaded into the USMS searchable database(found at http://www.usms.org/comp/toptimes.shtml). This is the largest quantity of SCY data ever loaded into the database and includes almost all of the major USMS regional and zone meets as well as USMS Nats and YMCA Nats. I've just finished loading the PAC Masters meet results from April.

There are, for example, 312 individual swims listed in the 50 Free for the men's 40-44 age group. That's a bunch!

Enjoy yourself browsing through the data before plunging into the LC season.

-- The Toad (aka Mel Dyck, Coach, Snow Mountain Masters)

swimshark
May 29th, 2004, 11:49 PM
I searched the 500 free, in my age group and there is someone listed with my name, spelled with 2 L's (mine has only one), in a meet that I didn't swim but one that is close to me and she's unattached. I never knew there was someone with my name living so close to me.

Oh, and I am listed as #40, about 15 swimmers after her.

meldyck
June 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Hey meters afficionados,

I've loaded 14 LCM and 5 SCM meet results into the USMS searchable database (http://www.usms.org/comp/toptimes.shtml). If you are getting ready for Savannah, now would be a good time to see what the early competition is up to!

When you go to the 'Top Times' section of the USMS 'Competition' page, you will find that the season default is still set for 2003. Any query will result in all entered meets from last season as well as the ones I've loaded for this season. This will remain until our webmaster finds the time to change the default setting.

If this is bothersome, I've attached a zipped HTML file that you can install on your home computer that resolves the problem. In that file, the new default is 2004. But, you may also call up previous meets IF YOU WISH. That's a bit more flexible than the forms on the USMS web page. Please let me know if you have any trouble with this. I've been using it at home for a couple of weeks now with no problems.

Good luck & have fun.

See you in Savannah!!

-- mel

meldyck
June 28th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Hmmm. I don't see a file attached to the last message as promised. Oh well.

If you would like a copy of the file described in my last message, just e-mail me & I will send you a copy via return e-mail.

Sorry about that.

-- mel

meldyck
July 31st, 2004, 05:49 PM
OK, LC swimmers, there are now 31 long-course meets posted in the searchable 'Top Times' database at the USMS web site (http://www.usms.org/comp/toptimes.shtml). Our Webmaster has updated the forms for the current season, so that you will see only meets run during 2004.

I've just posted the results from the FINA LC Champs in June. Please note that I had to hand-enter all these data, so there may be some errors that I haven't caught. If you swam at Worlds and see a major error (i.e. wrong event, wrong time, wrong age or wrong name) please contact me & I will make the change to the data file. I WILL NOT make corrections to team affiliations since that involves far too much manipulation at this point.

With the Savannah LC Champs coming up, you can now see how your competition is really doing, as compared to how they have seeded themselves.

Enjoy & see you in Savannah!

-- Mel

meldyck
August 8th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Swimmers,

there are now 41 LC meets posted in the 'Top Times' section of the USMS 'Competition' page (http://www.usms.org/comp/toptimes.shtml). Most of the big ones that I'm aware of are uploaded -- 41 out of 45 for a bit more than 90% completeness for the ones I know about. There may yet be one or two more added before LC Nats next weekend.

See you in Savannah.

-- Mel

AF_swim_girl
August 14th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Hey Mel,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your work on the times database! I'm not gonna show up very high (or often), but kind of cool just to see where I ranked in the "grand scheme" of things.

Hope Savannah is good to you!

meldyck
August 16th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Hi Kay,

you're EXACTLY the kind of swimmer this database is meant to help! Thanks for the feedback & glad you find it useful.

Hmmm. Savannah. One tornado warning. One threat of cancellation from hurricane Charlie. An interesting meet...

-- Mel