PDA

View Full Version : Eligibility question - help please!

zoomer
April 10th, 2004, 07:46 PM
I can't find anything about this in the rule book - if someone could answer, I would appreciate it very much!

If a 19 - 20 year old swims a year of Master's competition, would they then be eligible to swim for their college team? Thanks for any help.

shipleywm
April 10th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Simply put, yes. Better yet, I should say he/she wouldn't be inelgible to swim for that college's team.

emmett
April 11th, 2004, 11:29 AM
You don't find anything in the Masters rulebook because whether or not you are eligible to participate in another organization is not within the purview of Masters rules. The rules in question would be your college conference rules - and they will differ from conference to conference. I think in most cases there would be no problem, but to be sure, you should probably check with the conference main office. You may need to go through the college coach or other athletic department official to do this.

seltzer
April 12th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by zoomer
I can't find anything about this in the rule book - if someone could answer, I would appreciate it very much!

If a 19 - 20 year old swims a year of Master's competition, would they then be eligible to swim for their college team? Thanks for any help.

You must check the rules carefully with your college coach. You must also be aware of two "periods" and different rules. One is during the "college season" and has certain restrictions and another is "outside the college season" with different set of rules.

Having said that, I've seen people swim both masters and USA who also swim for their college teams but they usually swim during the "off season" and, in the case of masters, I've seen them swim "unattached".

As Emmett wisely points out always check with your coach and/or conference representative.