PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Worlds - Foreign Swimming Phrases

kerees
April 11th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Need help with Italian translation--

For all the folks out there headed to Riccione, could anyone share some catch phrases for us in Italian? You know...butterfly, breastroke, freestyle, backstroke, IM. "Take Your Mark", "Warm- Up area", "check-in" and the all important "heat" & "lane"

Did I miss any? I know I did, but I figure this will get me checked in, to my heat and lane and swimming the correct event when the gun goes off.

Karla

michaelmoore
April 12th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Karla:

Not sure about the strokes, but the starting command is given in English (FINA SW 3).

However, I should warn you that the whistles used are in Italian. :-)

michael

Maryyyyyy
April 12th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Hi Karla!

I'm originally from Berkeley CA, but have been living in Florence Italy for a long time, and swim on a masters team here... I just saw your post so here's some info for you:

butterfly = farfalla

breaststroke = rana (frog)

freestyle = stile libero

backstroke = dorso

IM = misti

take your mark = A POSTO (they always YELL!)

warm up = riscaldamento

heat = batteria

lane = corsia

Hope I've been of some help!!!

Mary Lokken
Florence Italy

bokko
April 13th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Hi all but specially to Maryyyyyyyyyy

lcolette
April 13th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Michael,
I just wanted to point out, because my ears have hurt so much in the past. That Karla can whistle better than any Italian...... So much noise from such a compact personage...
LC

PS by FINA rules are all instructiones in either French or English?

Walt Reid
April 14th, 2004, 10:16 PM
English will be used throughout the meet. The Heat Sheets/Results and all instructions will be in English. I will be attending a pre-meet on-site visit this weekend. I have seen samples of the heat sheets and results and they are in English and very well done.

Walt Reid
FINA Masters Recorder

Maryyyyyy
April 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Walt,

then you will be meeting the President of my team (Nuoto Club Firenze), Andrea Prayer, who will also be at the inspection this weekend.

If you read this message before you leave for Italy (that is, here) you might want to tell him that you know his nick name is "The Voice". Anyone can imagine why...

See you in Riccione in June?

Mary

Rob Copeland
April 15th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Maryyyyyy,

You forgot to include the Italian phrase for Florence, Italy. Last time I was in Tuscany, I drove round and round looking for Florence and never found it. I stopped at this lovely village, Firenze, but the locals had never heard of Florence:)

Maryyyyyy
April 16th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Rob,

That's very funny! OK, Florence in Italian is "Firenze"... but I think Rob will agree with me when I say that most locals know that in English their city is called "Florence"...

This brings up a good and important point... The pronounciation of the name of the town "RICCIONE", where the Championships will be held. This is important because an incorrect pronounciation could cause you to say a word which has a double-meaning... and should you say THAT word while in Italy, the person who you say it to probably won't be offended, but definitely will have a good laugh. So here we go:

The "CC" of "RICCIONE" is pronounced like "CH" as in "cha cha cha" and not a hard "K".... is that clear? Let's all try it together now: "RICCHIOOOONE"...

But, don't spell it with the "H", OK? It's spelled "RICCIONE"..

I know, this is complicated.

CIAO FROM FIRENZE!!!
Mary

bokko
April 17th, 2004, 11:33 AM
It's funny see Maryyy to explain italian languageas.

I'm agry with Maryyy about how we say "RICCIONE". It's important, expecially in "Romagna" where there is the cult of a very macho!!!!

I live near Milan that in Itlay we say "MILANO". Unfortunately, Milan isn't so wounderfull as Florence (ops, FIRENZE)!!!!!

See you soon, I hope at Riccione!!!!!

Mauro

Maryyyyyy
April 17th, 2004, 02:21 PM
bokko,

remember, we must be nice hosts, and always politically correct.

bacione! see you on the Italian Masters forum...

Mary

fardrum
April 28th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Some help with pronunciation here, read words on the right in english and they will sound italian:-)

stile libero --> steel-ay-liberoh
rana --> run-uh
dorso --> door-so
farfalla --> far-fall-uh
misti --> misty
a posto --> uh-post-o
riscaldamento --> risk-al-da-mento (as in mentor without 'r')
batteria --> butt-her-eeh-uh
corsia --> core-see-uh

last but not least:
riccione --> rich-oh-nay
firenze --> fee-rent-say

Enjoy...
Andrea.