PDA

View Full Version : Time off

the texillectual
April 14th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I was forced to take time off from swimming. Only swam twice in the last two and a half weeks. Today I swam the 100 ten seconds faster than my previous PB. Anyone hear of not swimming, beer and pain pills as a recognized training regimen?

KenChertoff
April 14th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Well beer and pain pills is a new one, but swimming faster after a few rest days is actually pretty common -- that's sort of the theory behind tapering. You probably needed a rest. :)

aquageek
April 14th, 2004, 09:11 PM
10 seconds? That's insane. I suggest a complete re-evaluation of your training program if a little time off results in a 10 second improvement.

Leonard Jansen
April 15th, 2004, 07:45 AM
What kind of beer and what kind of pain pills? I'd like to get a 10 sec PR in the 100 by being semi-comatose.

SWinkleblech
April 15th, 2004, 08:24 AM
I had to take two weeks off earlier in the season and then went into a swim meet. I had personal best in all of my events. Someone said I must have a good taper. I didn't drink any beer either.

swimr4life
April 15th, 2004, 10:59 AM
I had a similar experience. I had to take a week and a half off due to my mother's illness. I did not eat or sleep well during that time either! I had about 10 days of training (and trying to eat right and sleep a lot) then I went to a big regional meet. I had 4 best masters times! Maybe I need to work on my diet and sleep habits?! ;)

JuneO
April 15th, 2004, 01:24 PM
that happened to me a bunch of times last year. I kept having to travel, taking a week off here and there, and every time I returned to the pool the swimming was easy/fast. not to mention my sinuses had cleared up!

DocWhoRocks
April 15th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by JuneO
that happened to me a bunch of times last year. I kept having to travel, taking a week off here and there, and every time I returned to the pool the swimming was easy/fast. not to mention my sinuses had cleared up!

As others have stated, not unheard of.

The first man (don't remember his name, a russian I think) to break 15 minutes in the 1500 took a week off of training before the olympics for his taper.

the texillectual
April 15th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Did a follow up experiment and I must point out, I had all of you in mind while performing this selfless act. I tied one on last night in the name of science. Drank good Oregon beer. Swam 1200 yards today and concluded the beer wasn't the source of my 10 second gain. Ibuprofen didn't help.

Scansy
April 15th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Is that what you call carbo-loading?

swimr4life
April 16th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Thank-you texillectual for your selfless act in the interest of science!;) Sorry you are having adverse side effects from your experiment! Try Excedrin Migraine!

eliana2003
April 16th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by SWinkleblech
I had to take two weeks off earlier in the season and then went into a swim meet. I had personal best in all of my events. Someone said I must have a good taper.

IMHO, I think that it just means that you (and everyone else who cited their own stories) were rested....

I tend to underestimate the value of resting whilst training- I had to take time off b/c of family illness and when I came back, I was swimming stronger and easier than before...

When I commented to my husband that I has been swimming better, he simply replied,'you needed the rest.'

peace...