PDA

View Full Version : 1500m free....HELP!!!

sparx35
April 20th, 2004, 03:22 PM
I've been trying to improve my 1500m for a while now but just cant seem to get any faster.I've tried stroke improvement,breathing,and just generally giving it all ive got...it seems that the more i pace myself the (slightly)faster i get but only by seconds.....other things tried..flip turns(these made me slower)..have i got to a personal max that i will not improve upon..if so then im gutted because i had hoped for much better

Karen Duggan
April 20th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Coaches forum?

DocWhoRocks
April 20th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Things that will help with distance:

Train more yards
Practice long push outs on your flip turns
Train more yards
Make sure you concentrate on every stroke you take so you don't injur yourself
Train more yards
Train long sets (10x500, 30x100, 3x1000)
Train more yards
Do race pace work - 5x100s on 2:30 @ 90% of race pace
Train more yards
And most of of all...

TRAIN MORE YARDS ;)

"The only way to swim fast, is to swim fast."

Training for distance is all about consistent areobic workouts, pace, & stroke technique. Try to get in 5000-7000 yds. a day/5 days a week.

mattson
April 20th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by sparx35
I've been trying to improve my 1500m for a while now
and just generally giving it all ive got
flip turns(these made me slower)

I wouldn't worry about the speed of the flip turns, as much as getting a good pushoff and glide after the turn.

Have you read the "Total Immersion" book? One comment that Laughlin makes, is that elite swimmers are "lazy", in a good way. Once they reach a certain speed, they find ways of swimming that speed with less energy. Maybe that is the direction you should take. Find a good pace, then try to maintain it with less effort. (Streamlining... Trying to have a strong pull and stay relaxed takes practice.)

Leonard Jansen
April 21st, 2004, 08:58 AM
One thing to consider is: How much "speed overhead" do you have? By this I mean, how close is your PR for 100m to the pace you want to hold for 1500m?
e.g. If you are trying to swim 30 minutes for 1500, you need to average 2:00 per 100m. If your PR for 100m is within about 10%-15% of that (1:42 - 1:48), you probably will have a very hard time doing it. (All figures here are very rough as everyone differs.)

In general, the periodized progression of training goes:
1) Technique
2) Endurance
3) Speed
Therefore, be 100% sure your technique is as good as it can be FIRST. (I also recommend Total Immersion type technique, so shoot me.) Then, if you don't have adequate "speed overhead", concentrate on getting faster at shorter distances while maintaining your good technique. Once you are happy with your "speed overhead", start 1500m-based endurance training (meters, meters, meters), followed by the speed work specific to 1500m training.

If that doesn't work, take 2 weeks off and then quit.:)

For true maximum effort with experienced athletes in long endurance events(racewalkers), I always periodized as follows:
1) Technique (Always!)
2) Endurance I (mileage with good techinique)
3) VO2 Max work (No snotty comments from the peanut gallery. VO2 Max work is important since it gives you the "aerobic overhead" for longer, faster endurance efforts.)
4) Endurance II (faster mileage with lots of longer interval training)
5) Speed work
6) Races

Disclaimer: I'm not a swim coach, although I've had great success coaching racewalkers using this sort of method.

-LBJ