PDA

View Full Version : Flags to flags

julieannjohn
February 9th, 2017, 05:22 PM
What can you tell me about swimming flags to flags? I did about 10 of them today and wondered if I did them right! I didn't find very much here about it or anywhere else.

gobears
February 9th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Are you talking about swimming fast "from flags to flags" in a longer swim with turns? That would mean working walls - fast into and off of each wall during a longer swim. Practicing fast turns, in other words.

julieannjohn
February 9th, 2017, 10:31 PM
No, I mean dog paddle to the flags and then swim fast until you get to the other set of flags. I thought that was a "thing".

gobears
February 10th, 2017, 09:58 AM
I haven't heard of it but maybe someone else has?

knelson
February 10th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Nope. Never heard of it either. Not even sure I understand the purpose.

julieannjohn
February 10th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Well, from what I read (can't remember where), it's like you're trying to see how fast you can go without the benefit of pushing off the wall.

gobears
February 10th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Well, from what I read (can't remember where), it's like you're trying to see how fast you can go without the benefit of pushing off the wall.

Not sure there is a way to time yourself very accurately doing that. Are you getting this from a triathlon training site? Where you want to swim without walls? I suppose you could do sprints this way (though I would never suggest dog paddling out of or into the wall).

VintageDirt
February 11th, 2017, 11:03 AM
I've seen some water polo players turn before they reach the wall. They use both arms to change direction without touching the wall. It makes sense for a water polo workout. Don't know about the dog paddle part.

julieannjohn
February 12th, 2017, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I don't know where I read it. The dog paddling part is just to get to the flags and not part of the workout.

Karl_S
February 13th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Sprinting from a dead stop in the water is a drill to build power. It can be extremely stressful. I think Fort (when she is healthy) does something like this.

julieannjohn
February 13th, 2017, 10:50 PM
Yeah that's what it is. Sprinting from a dead stop. Thank you. Ok so what can anyone tell me about that? Like, the science of it.

Chris Stevenson
February 14th, 2017, 04:25 PM
I regularly give a similar set to the older kids on my summer league team, I call them "buoy sprints." I modified it from a set given by the University of Richmond women's swim coach. Each round consists of something like this:

#1: Off the blocks and sprint to the far buoy (15m).
#2: Turn around and from a dead stop, sprint to the other buoy (about 5m).
#3: Turn around and from a dead stop sprint to the wall, do a race turn, and push off to the near buoy (about 25m).
#4: From a dead stop, sprint from the buoy to the wall, with a race finish (about 15m).

"Dead stop" means exactly that, no pushing off the bottom or pulling on lane lines. We'll do a couple rounds, with different strokes. Coaches stand by the target buoy to help those doing backstroke.

As other people mentioned, starting from a dead stop develops power. High turnover rate trains your nervous system. And we emphasize getting power from the kick, good starts, turns, underwater streamlines, and finishes. Keep in mind, of course, that the longest race in our summer league is a 100, and most races are 50s.

julieannjohn
February 14th, 2017, 11:07 PM
Exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you so much.

opeleroy
February 18th, 2017, 06:09 PM
More info on the drill (and benefits) here-- https://www.yourswimlog.com/flag-to-flags-a-drill-for-developing-absolutely-blinding-speed/

It's all about developing speed. Done from a dead stop (sculling in place) and getting up to max speed as quick as you can.

It's one of Vlad Morozov's favorite drills as well.

julieannjohn
February 19th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Thanks so much. That's where I originally read it and didn't know where!