PDA

View Full Version : short course/long course

phm41
April 23rd, 2004, 05:37 PM
Why is it I can do 3600 yards comfortably, but it is a supreme struggle to manage 2500 meters? I can't believe the walls make THAT much difference. I know that part of it is psychological, but my leg cramps last night were not in my head! Since switching over this week, I only did 1600m Mon, 1800m Tu, 2100m Thurs and 2500m this morning. I imagine part of my exhaustion is that I tapered for Ynats, but I always feel this way about long course.

swimmer
April 23rd, 2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by phm41
Why is it I can do 3600 yards comfortably, but it is a supreme struggle to manage 2500 meters? I can't believe the walls make THAT much difference. I know that part of it is psychological, but my leg cramps last night were not in my head! Since switching over this week, I only did 1600m Mon, 1800m Tu, 2100m Thurs and 2500m this morning. I imagine part of my exhaustion is that I tapered for Ynats, but I always feel this way about long course.

If you are any good at all off the walls, it makes a very big difference. Swimming long course will get you in much better swimming shape because you have to do so much more swimming.

swimshark
April 23rd, 2004, 07:46 PM
I love long course but when we switch over, like we did a few weeks ago, it always takes me several weeks for my body to get used to it. I think last year, when we first switched, I was doing 100 free on the 1:45 and down to 1:30 by the end of the season. Give it some time and it will get easier.

jean sterling
April 23rd, 2004, 09:51 PM
My pool is scheduled to be switched to long course tonight, and I am looking forward to it. I will do relatively easy workouts for a few days to adapt. I think long course seems more difficult at first because turns are fairly restful - while you are in the streamline position. your muscles get a bit of a rest - at least it seems that way to me. Long course has half as many turns as short course - I know that my times in short course meters are always faster than my times for long course meters because of this.

eliana2003
April 25th, 2004, 07:04 AM
I have the same problem- I'm a SC lover, but we almost always go long course (we're fortunate to have two pools)... however, if there's a meet or something and we have to go SC for awhile, I find the change back to LC excruciating!!

when I asked my coach why this is, he simply told me that LC course is, well, longer than SC ( a no-brainer, right? :)) . I guess that the little bit of distance, plus less rest at the turns, makes a BIG difference during the course of a practice...

peace...

mark_varney47
April 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Try finding a pool that is long course in Britain to train in !!!!!!I would love to be able to choose whether to train in SC or LC.:(

eliana2003
April 26th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by mark_varney47
Try finding a pool that is long course in Britain to train in !!!!!!I would love to be able to choose whether to train in SC or LC.:(

sorry... actually, i liked the 33.3 metre pool i swam in in London...
it was just the right length!! the other one i used was 30 metres, which was nice (the length that is, not the people:()

DocWhoRocks
April 26th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by mark_varney47

I hear your pain. I think there's only ONE LC pool in WY :( And it's a 6 hour drive from here :(

I love training long course though, open water is even better though :D

knelson
April 27th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Arguably the most demanding pool event: 200 meter LC butterfly.

Last year I thought I was in pretty good shape until I first trained long course. It's brutal but I love swimming outside. You get used to it eventually, but it's definitely a bear at first.

jim clemmons
April 27th, 2004, 01:49 PM
most demanding pool event: 200 meter LC butterfly

Kirk,

For what it's worth, I totally agree.

'01 LC at Federal Way - NO GUTTERS! FLAT WALLS!

I know that is how it's (supposed to be) done but, what a shock.

Couldn't get my 3 or 4 extra breaths in. :eek:

How were your early mornings? Your results looked good.

knelson
April 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by jim clemmons
How were your early mornings? Your results looked good.

Not bad at all. I was able to get to bed early enough that I felt well rested in the morning. I think the length of the meet got to me the last day, but overall I've got to be happy. Now time to start planning for next time :)