PDA

View Full Version : Work out routines

the texillectual
April 23rd, 2004, 08:14 PM
I've found a number of really good workouts. Unfortunately I can't remember much more than a few items while I'm swimming. I've never seen people with written workouts at the pools edge. Is this what people do to keep on track with a detailed workout?

On another note, I've had a really great week swimming this past week. I swam Saturday and set a new PB in the mile. Swam a mile on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I feel absolutely teriffic. Somehow things are clicking. I can now glide 25 yards in nine strokes without kicking. I've become able to breathe every 4th stroke. This was per this board's recommendation. The trick to breathing seems to be the exhale. Deep exhale = deep breath and less shortness of breath.

Can't wait until my swim Sunday. It's supposed to be 80 degrees which is unusual for Oregon this time of the year. My buddy will kayak near me while I swim in the Columbia River. This will be my first open water swim since catching the bug in October. Can't wait. I'm planning to swim down current which should make me feel really fast. Even before getting into swimming, I've always felt swimming was a great way to connect to nature. Oregon is blessed with many beautiful mountain lakes. There's some hard to describe feeling I get from swimming in these lakes that I don't get from simply hiking in and loitering on the shores.

One of the first times I visited this site there was a topic "you know you're a swimmer when..." Someone wrote something to the effect that you're a swimmer when the smell of chlorine does it for you. I now understand that writer's twisted obsession.

Isn't it freakin' great to be a swimmer?

Scansy
April 23rd, 2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by the texillectual

Isn't it freakin' great to be a swimmer?

Absolutely.

For the workouts, I print them out and put them in one of the plastic sheet protectors. I have seen people use ziploc baggies. Sometimes the just bring them along and smooth them out flat on a wet kickboard. It will last through the workout that way.

jean sterling
April 23rd, 2004, 09:47 PM
I put my workouts in a ziplock baggie and it works just fine. Also, I print them out in a large font so that I can read them easily (in a regular font they would look like a blur).