PDA

View Full Version : swimming running

jsm545
April 26th, 2004, 08:01 PM
are swimming and runinng a good mix. for example a swim workout and a run workout a day , would it hurt my swimming

valhallan
April 26th, 2004, 08:17 PM
If you want to swim fast it's important to have good ankle flexibility. Running too much might hinder this, unless you're keeping the distances somewhat short (3-4 miles), and you work on stretching. Triathletes often have a difficult time swimming because they have such a poor kick. No ankle bend means no kick. Half of the horsepower in the water is lost.

If you're already loose in the ankles, be careful! A quick mistep on a rock a divet in the road could lead a pretty bad injury. Look for smooth surfaces, and pavement. But to answer your question, there are some pretty serious swimmers who train on the road as well as in the pool. Upper body muscles can always use a day of recovery and land training is a great way to work the cardio while giving the "oars" a break. Biking is also an excellent option.

Scansy
April 26th, 2004, 09:25 PM
It's interesting that you ask that question. I was wondering myself. One day last week, I did a shorter swim than usual (about 2300 yards), followed by a three mile run. I felt great.:D

I don't want to run too much - ultimately the reason I started swimming was because I always seemed to stop running after a month or so due to shin splints/pain in the knees and ankles. Now, I am hooked on swimming. But the change of pace was cool. I am going to try and do a 3 -5 mile run once a week after a reduced swim workout. But if it seems to hurt my swimming over time, I will stop running.

scolopax
April 27th, 2004, 09:11 AM
I think running and swimming are a perfect mix and I do each 3-4 times a week. Running also gets me through the times I can't swim -trips and such- one of the cool things about running is that you can do it almost anywhere.

When I run tho, I usually just go the distance at the same pace whereas I would never get in the pool and just swim straight laps. Does any one work 'intervals' into their running?

kaelonj
April 27th, 2004, 11:13 AM
I don't think running is going to hurt your swimming (unless you end up miss stepping or tripping). I believe it was Janet Evans who use to do 3 or 4 run workouts a week of about 5 miles each run in preperation for 92 Olympics.
I use to do quite a bit of running when I played polo in college and even kept doing some running during swim season.
In regards to intervals with running, we would do some interval and some straight runs - usually mixed with some plymetric exercises or running repeats of the stairs in the bleachers.

Karen Duggan
April 27th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Interesting timing. I just started running yesterday, again. I started at 2 miles. I absolutely hate it! But my husband and I use Galloway's Book of Running for our running schedule. Before children in 2000 I had worked up to a 10 mile long run :) completely injury free. It's the quickest way to get in shape and lose weight (for me, that's why I do it even though I hate it).

When I run and swam I did life best times. I found that running helped my swimming tremendously but swimming didn't help my running at all (different muscles, weight bearing, etc).

I really recommend Galloway as a great place to start running and remain injury free.

dorothyrd
April 27th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Karen I also took my dog out for a 2 mile run yesterday. Kind of an announcement to myself that the taper is over, time to get back to work!! The dog was happy too. She did not like my taper!

I have always felt that running helps swimming, swimming does not help running. When my son comes off of soccer season and gets back to the pool in the fall, he does not seem to have lost a lot. His technique needs a little work to get back, but his cardiovascular conditioning and strength are usually good from all the running. When he goes into soccer from swimming, he is in a lot of pain and soreness the first week! He is learning to run all summer to avoid that in the fall.

Gil
April 27th, 2004, 05:35 PM
For several years I have been combining walking and swimming. Seem to complement each other very well.

jerrycat
April 27th, 2004, 10:19 PM
as you will find that your running will benefit your swimming, and your lungs will get stronger.

sometimes when I miss a week of swimming it's like I don't miss a beat at all because I've been running--

Also, about the ankle flexability thing...swimming can work your ankles nicely, and you'll find that will help your running. plus, swimming will prevent your ankles from getting too tight. Among the many many benefits of running and swimming, one in particular is that running will help you keep your bone density and give you strong solid bones--very important!

overall, I think it's excellent to do both. triathletes do it all the time. In fact, I couple run and bike workouts with swimming alot of times.

The only thing I say is make sure you build up your running at a cautious amount...you don't want to find yourself injured. Make sure you stretch, eat well, and stay hydrated. After that, you're good to go!

And, if you're really interested in doing both, maybe you would make for a good triathlete! got a bike?

best,
jerrycat :D

Scansy
April 27th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by jerrycat
And, if you're really interested in doing both, maybe you would make for a good triathlete! got a bike?

You triathlete's are always trying to take us swimmers to the dark side!:D

I tried a 2300 SCY swim followed by 3 miles on a treadmill last week and I felt great. Now a friend who completed his first ironman last year is trying to get me to do a sprint tri. It would be 440 yard swim, 11 mile bike, 4 mile run. Maybe I will ....

SWinkleblech
April 28th, 2004, 11:36 AM
I truely believe swimming helps a lot with running. I was on the track team all four years of high school. I joined swim team my junior year. When track season came along that year,in my very first meet I ran my two mile over two minutes faster then the previous year. I have always been convinced it was because of the swimming that I ran so much faster that season.

During the summers I take a break from constent swimming by doing triathlons. I think being a swimmer gives you a big advantage from the start because I find that for most triathletes the swimming is thier weakest area. Now if I can just get the bike going up those hills.

Training for triathlons is a great way to keep you from getting those wonderful shin splints. I used to get them, too and had to quit running. Now that I train for triathlons I haven't had that problem.

hurleysurfer0205
May 22nd, 2004, 09:42 AM
i heard that running is great for swimming but if you run to much that it will hurt you in the long run... i dont know if that is true but it seems to me that if you run a minimum of 6-10 miles a week and swim for 2 hours a day your in great shape. im doing that right now and it is really helping