PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Getting Started

JLK
April 27th, 2004, 07:02 PM
For the last 3 Ĺ years, I have been hiking the hills up behind my house...trekking an average of four to six miles, a minimum of three mornings a week. While this has proven to be a good cardio workout, Iím afraid my feet are giving out on me. At 66 years old and recipient of a quintuple by-pass in Ď01, I desire to maintain a pretty aggressive conditioning program to allow me to pursue my various recreational activities (surfing, kayaking, backpacking). Swimming would seem to be a good addition to my fitness program... taking a load off my feet so to speak.

I have access to a municipal pool. My question....How do I get started? What would be a good general conditioning program? Would swim fins be recommended? Any advice, suggestions and recommendations for this newbie would be greatly appreciated

Conniekat8
April 27th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Well, if it's not too far away, you ought to visit our masters swim team. We have people like you inthe group, and we have daily coached workouts,that can be tailored to your needs.
Come visit us, forst 2 swims... checking out the team are free.
Our website has more information!
www.mastersmvnswim.org

Toni
April 27th, 2004, 07:33 PM
I started swimming about two years ago using a snorkel and swim fins (small ones that my sons had outgrown). I'm now able to swim for 60 minutes, mainly freestyle and backstroke. The hardest part was weaning myself off the fins. The snorkel went quickly as my breathing improved. For training ideas, I use the workout discussion forum - it has some great ideas.

agameofyou
May 5th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Anyone have any advice on finding a local masters swimming team? I live in Charleston and would love to get involved. I would like to get into swimming for fitness. I was swimming last summer and enjoyed the feeling I had after a good swim. I was able to swim about a mile an hour maybe twice a week. I had never really swum laps before in my life. I'm 25. I tried to keep it up but was swimming in Norfolk, VA one day and 2 people came in that just glided through the water. Frankly I was embarrassed to be in the same pool with them. I'm a little too self concience to begin with. My confidence was sunk I haven't swam since. I know this is a horrible reason not to swim but I think if I could join some local people who could help me become a better swimmer and help me work on it (workouts, form) I could make this a lifelong habit (with a little support). From what I've read Masters Swimming seems like the place for me! Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Rob Copeland
May 5th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Andrew,

First never be embarrassed to be in the pool with anyone, unless itís because you left your swim suit in the locker room and are swimming in the buff. But, thatís a conversation on another forum. And you are right, that getting with a group will help to make this a lifelong habit.

I took a quick look at club links on the USMS web site and I didnít see any club listed in Charleston. So I would suggest you contact the SC Masters Chairman Steve Wycoff at SCLMSC@USMS.ORG or by phone 864-225-6447. Or you can contact Greg Banks of Mt Pleasant at gbanks@rcctherapy.com 843-884-7880, 843-884-6635. Greg is running the upcoming 2.4 Mi Lowcountry Splash in Charleston. Either of these guys should be able to help you.

agameofyou
May 5th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Thank you Rob. I appreciated the support.

Bob McAdams
May 5th, 2004, 03:15 PM
The last I heard, the Martin Luther King, Jr. Aquadome and the W.L. Stephens, Jr. Aquatic Center both had Masters swim teams.