PDA

View Full Version : doing a 5k swim

jsm545
May 1st, 2004, 06:45 PM
i am swimming an open water 5k on june 12 and was just wondering what kind of training i should be doing since it s a longer distance, i have some respectable times 1650-18:30 500-5:15 . i just stopped swimming with my club team so i am not doing as many yards (im at 3000-4000 per workout now and running some) is this enough yardage to complete the swim or should i be doing more?

Tom Ellison
May 1st, 2004, 10:37 PM
As to work outs...I AM NOT a coach..Having said that, I did lots of 1650 and 1500 free type prep....What I did was swim in lakes in the evening time when the water got rough...I strongly suggest you get to open water and swim a min of 500 to 1000 yds every chance you get in order to get used to open water swimming/races....Trust me...OPEN water swimming is 180 deg. different then pool swimming....
Good luck....

jsm545
May 1st, 2004, 11:21 PM
i do triathlons some (i actually did one today) so i am really comfortable with the open water idea

Rob Copeland
May 3rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
For an 18:30 miler, 3 to 4 grand a workout, 3+ times a week should be enough to get you through a 5K. Since you have some experience and are comfortable with open water, I donít see anything in what you have said that would lead me to believe that you would have any problem with the swim.

Out of curiosity, is this June 12th swim, the Amelia Island Open Water Challenge 5K? If you are swimming in the Masters Nationals at Amelia Island, it will be a great swim, beautiful beaches, wonderful volunteers and very professional meet management!

jsm545
May 3rd, 2004, 04:31 PM
actually it is a swim in clemson south carolina, i forgot the name of it but i know its not the amelia island one. im going to college in wilmington next year (not uncw, im going to cape fear community college) and im looking forward to doing a lot of open water stuff when im there, if there are any swimmers on this board that live there let me know of some clubs, organizations, etc. that has any open water swims or stuff like that.