PDA

View Full Version : Bonaire EcoSwim

info@randynutt.com
May 4th, 2004, 04:08 PM
The Dutch Caribbean Island of Bonaire, Netherlands
Antilles was rated #1 by readers of Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine (April 2004) for "The World's Best Shore Diving".

On November 6th 2004 Bonaire will be the site of the 4th Annual Bonaire EcoSwim. New this year: a 10k along its shores. Other events include the Deep Blue 5k, Metric Mile, and 200 Meter Fun Swim.

Join us for all the magic this island offers –and for the world class socials!

INFO: http://www.randynutt.com/bainfo04.html

ENTRY FORM: http://www.randynutt.com/baentry04.html

info@randynutt.com
September 27th, 2004, 07:40 PM
With the Hurricane season winding down and the cold
fronts just around the corner, the Caribbean is looking very enticing. We hope
you make plans to join us in St Croix for the Coral Reef Swim and/or the Bonaire
EcoSwim. It's not too late -we have room for you in both events!

Olympian Misty Hyman is entering the 5 Mile Coral Reef Swim along with defending
Champion Alex Kostich. Everyone who completes the swim will feel a sense of
excitement while enjoying the beautiful view along the course.

Entering the Bonaire EcoSwim this year is actress Alexandra Paul. Alexandra has
starred in more than 50 films and is best known for her role in the hit TV
series “Baywatch”. She is also an accomplished athlete having completed the
Ironman World Championships in 1997. On November 6th 2004 she will test her
mettle as an open water swimmer in the 10K distance division. With her
dedication to excellence we know she will be a success.

Info & Entry www.aquamoonadventures.com

Hope to see you on the islands!

Leonard Jansen
September 28th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Randy Nutt

Entering the Bonaire EcoSwim this year is actress Alexandra Paul.

Oh, my... Must hit the lottery. Must hit the lottery.

-LBJ

Rob Copeland
September 28th, 2004, 08:16 AM
And the good news is that you don’t need to win the lottery to be able to get to Bonaire!

Now, if as in Leonard’s case, where he want to impress Ms. Paul with the Gucci Fastskin, Elton John goggles and private jet, it may take some lottery bucks.

Leonard Jansen
September 28th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Rob Copeland
And the good news is that you don’t need to win the lottery to be able to get to Bonaire!

Now, if as in Leonard’s case, where he want to impress Ms. Paul with the Gucci Fastskin, Elton John goggles and private jet, it may take some lottery bucks.

Maybe YOU don't need to hit the lottery, but mathematician/software designer/horse farmers do.

As to impressing Ms. Paul - I'm afraid that in my case it would take alot more than that level of lottery $ to turn her head. Maybe me standing next to Bill Gates' pile of money might do it, but nothing less. I figure that I would just beg her for an acknowledgement of my existance, grovel a bit and she might do it as a charitable tax write-off.

The only website you need:
http://www.alexandra-paul.com

Sigh...

-LBJ

Kevin in MD
September 28th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Very enticing offer indeed.

2go+h20
October 13th, 2004, 07:00 PM
After reading about this swim, and reading with a degree of interest in the English Channel swim, I took a plunge. We were up at Long Beach way up on Vancouver Island B.C. Canada. As I ate my breakfast, I looked down at the sea. Although a typical west coast day at this time of the year, grey and threatening skies, the sea looked 'inviting'. It was a slack tide, not too lumpy and the trees were not moving.
So in a typical Carpe Diem style, I donned my swimsuit, cap and goggles, raced down the track to the shore. Peeled off my warm clothes and plunged in.
And It wasn't bad at all!! I managed a 20 minute swim in the cool waters (I think around 60, 16 degrees). Felt OK! definately cool, but quite bearable for a short swim. (Don't think I would survive a channel swim)
Certainly provided entertainment value for the surfers clad in head to toe wetsuits and all the tourists out for their morning stroll and beach combing.
In the past I have kept the salt rubs down with either vaseline or bodyglide type stuff. Vaseline has petroleum in it which can harm a good lycra/speed or competition suit.
Now just need that winning lottery ticket. But just incase thought I should take a plunge in the saltchuck while the opportunity
arose.
Kiwi

Maryyyyyy
October 14th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Wow this looks tempting. This year I have neither the time nor money, but maybe next year! And even though Alexandra Paul does not entice me, I'll bet one of you guys would! ;) 'specially next to a big pile of money, but that's just a plus.
To all of you who do go, have fun and tell us all about it.

info@randynutt.com
November 9th, 2004, 07:39 PM
The results and race re-cap for the 2004 Bonaire EcoSwim are now posted:

Re-cap: http://www.randynutt.com/barecap04.html

Results: http://www.randynutt.com/baresults04.html

2go+h20
November 10th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Now this is a swim I am very interested in. I wanted to go this year, but things just didn't quite work out. Will be saving like mad for next year.
How were the conditions? (Looks so gorgeous I am almost drooling over my keys)
Were the conditions typical for that area.

I have swum with dolphins once in an open water swim. It was the hugest adrenalin burst I have ever had. Grey sleek dorsal finned bodies underneath mine. I shot out of the water so fast with a total look of fear and horror. If I could have I would have screamed SHARKS so loudly but I was speechless with fear!!

Thanks so much for posting and sharing this with us.
You have got me excited that's for sure.
Now I have rotor brain, and will proabaly have great sea swim dreams!!
Kiwi

Maryyyyyy
November 10th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Thanks for the post Randy Nutt! I just might have won the 5KM swim, but you never know with open water swims... and besides, if you don't participate, there's definitely no chance you'll win! I'll have to put this one on my wish-list.

Happy Laps!

info@randynutt.com
November 10th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Bonaire is located below the hurricane belt and averages 80 degrees air and 80 degrees water temp year round. Its water quality is about the best anywhere in the world -mostly because they have protected the reefs (located a few yards off its coast) since the early 1970's. I did more diving this trip than in the past, preferring to free dive and snorkel, and saw so many tropical fish that I was almost overloaded. The naturalists who works at the dive shop advised us that there are more species of reef fish here than anywhere in the world. Several diving magazines consistently rate Bonaire as the best shore diving in the world.

I will be working with the tourism board to see if we can arrange airfare specials and hotel packages for next year and will post details when I have them. Several swimmers stayed in hotels averaging a little less than $100 per night. You can find many inexpensive restaurants in town.

I hope to post the date, the entry, and information for next years swim in mid December. I hope all of you can join us in 2005

(I'd also like to add that I was truly impressed with Alexandra Paul -she is one classy and down to earth person. I would imagine that actresses have great memories as they have to remember their lines. Alexandra remembered all the swimmers names from the pre-race dinner and gave them all encouragement by name on race day. After her (excellent) swim, she waited on the dock cheering others. I am happy to have met her -and also her husband and coach Ian Murray [acmecoaching.com])

Maryyyyyy
November 10th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I think it's great that Alexandra Paul took part in the race. Open-water swimming isn't exactly the hottest sport on the aquatics block, just look how little messages get posted in this section of the forum. This seems strange considering how popular open-water swims are.
And, I have to admit, I think I've seen just about every episode of Baywatch. Keeps this California girl in touch with her roots from far away.
Y'all wanna swim the Strait of Messina during Summer 2005? I'll have news (dates etc) ready soon.

Leonard Jansen
November 10th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Maryyyyyy
Y'all wanna swim the Strait of Messina during Summer 2005? I'll have news (dates etc) ready soon.

Only slightly more than I want world peace, but since I'd have to rob a number of convenience stores to get the $, it isn't likely. Still, one can dream. If you invite Alexandra Paul and she agrees to show up, perhaps I will go on a robbery spree... I just didn't have enough warning this year about her being at Bonaire to hit the requisite number of stores.

-LBJ