PDA

View Full Version : this guy i talked to today

jsm545
May 6th, 2004, 06:37 PM
when i was done swimming today this guy, probably about 25 years old came in and we talked some before he swam he said he was an 18:20 miler and he told me some of his other times but i dont remember them, i asked him how much he normally swam and he said he does 5X a week and never over 4000 yds this kinda frustrated me because i used to do 6000 a practice and train 6 days a week sometimes morning practices also and i only got down to 18:30 for the mile, could it be because i have only been swimming competitevely for about a year or does that guy just have a lot of natural talent. or could i posisbly have been doing junk yards and could actually go faster off less

Ryan@ICoachSwimming
May 6th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Think about this - people used to train 10,000 meters a day, sometimes twice a day. That was considered normal, but training yardage has come WAY down the last 20 years.

You need to learn to differentiate between quanitity and quality. Within that 4000, he's probably varying his speeds, working with intervals, drilling, and a ton of stuff. "Junk yardage" is too general a term, so I'd get away from that. Could there be a talent difference? Maybe, but nothing that can't be overcome if you are on a good training plan. I'd suggest getting together with a coach and tell him your goals. Even if you don't join a masters team, maybe you can get some new ideas to add to your training.

Ryan@ICoachSwimming.com
www.ICoachSwimming.com (http://www.icoachswimming.com)

pmbchill
June 30th, 2004, 08:49 PM
When he swam did he LOOK like an 18:20 miler or was it a "fish that got away" story?

DocWhoRocks
July 1st, 2004, 05:03 PM
Another big factor would be did he swim growing up?

After college I took a couple years off from swimming. Then one day I hopped in the pool just to see what I could do in a 100 fr. Went a 51. It hurt A LOT, but time wise not too shabby for not having touched water in 2 years. I had no where near the strength & indurance I once had, but my stroke technique was still good.

coach guy
July 5th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Any and all of it. Everyone is unique. Some have to do twice as much to get half the results. It's not fair but them's the breaks kid. However, you shouldn't be doing yards for the sake of yards. Know why your doing something and how much of it you should be doing. Remember your body needs to repair after it is broken down in order to improve.