PDA

View Full Version : What’s in a name???

Rob Copeland
May 7th, 2004, 09:47 AM
As suggested by the anonymous “Swimmer” in another thread “the names people use on the site are completely irrelevant.” I must respectfully disagree.

I personally give more credence to post made by people who are willing to tell us who they are, especially those who are active participants on a forum. And while there is no way to guarantee that I am who I say I am, none the less I respect the integrity of our posters enough to believe that they are who they purport to be.

What if Martin Luther had tacked his 95 Theses on his church anonymously? Would we now have legions of Anonymousans instead of Lutherans? And what of a Declaration of Independence submitted anonymously because our founding fathers did not want their dissenting opinions traced back to them? OK, maybe a little over the top.

I also like to know who I’m conversing with, so when chance brings us together, say in a stairwell at Indy, I can introduce myself and have an opportunity to really talk with anothers from our family of swimmers/posters.

With all this said, I also respect an individual’s choice of anonymity. The rules of the Forum allow this and I would hate to see folks not get involved, because they fear letting others know their true identity. So for those posting behind pseudonyms, please continue to do so. Just understand that to some of use the use of our names is relevant.

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 10:13 AM
I think your comparisons are just a little over the top but I respect your right to have an opinion.

I'm a little different in that I read it all and decide based on the content if it's something worthwhile to spend more time on. I don't really care if it's Aquageek or Rob. I don't know either of you but you still have something to say and if what you say has value then it has value. A name is just a label.

Just my take on all this.

I'm sort of flattered you thought enough of my anonymous postings to start a whole thread. If you knew who I was then we might not have this conversation.

dorothyrd
May 7th, 2004, 10:34 AM
I can understand why someone would want to post anonymously. This is very public and some people just are not comfortable putting their name out there.

I ,like swimmer read the post first, pay attention to the posters name second. I don't believe using my name allows you to know me any better, it does allow you to "find" me if you so chose, and some people would probably not want to be found.(does that make sense? I am trying to do too many things write now!)

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Makes lots of sense to me. I'm not looking to be found. It's not a part of this that I want. I've got enough going on as it is. I don't put an email address out because I can't answer all the email I get as it is.

I do respect both sides of this issue though and can see both points of view. I just happen to think that an idea or thought either has merit or it doesn't. I guess I'm both a cynic and an idealist.

Tom Ellison
May 7th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Not posting your name is your RIGHT….Having said that…I think anyone who posts and does not have a name listed so people know who they are…Well, I think that is kind of CHICKEN….

gull
May 7th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Personally speaking, I have nothing going on, don't get much e mail, and am still trying to find myself (so help is always welcome).

aquageek
May 7th, 2004, 11:14 AM
The web is a big, beautiful thing and anonymity is one of the best things about it. My user name is actually much more indicative of me than my real name.

After some heated exchanges with a few on this forum, maybe I'm glad my real name is masked.

gull
May 7th, 2004, 11:20 AM
But we know where you live, Swampthing.

DocWhoRocks
May 7th, 2004, 11:24 AM
I always use my nickname that friends gave me when I register on a board. Friends call me "Doc" more often than Dave. So I register with the name people call me. And it's not hard to find out who somebody is, just run an IP check and from there it's pretty simple :)

Edit: Also since I'm the only master's swimmer (as far as I know) in Cheyenne, it's really pretty easy to track me down.

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Tom Ellison
Not posting your name is your RIGHT….Having said that…I think anyone who posts and does not have a name listed so people know who they are…Well, I think that is kind of CHICKEN….

and I respect your right to be judgemental. I just think you are wrong.

I prefer to look at it as showing caution. I have no idea who you really are or who will be here in the future. The fact that people post names doesn't tell me if they are good, bad or indifferent people.

I've seen some of the email some ofther people have received because they posted who they were. No thanks. There are some rather ugly folks that post here whether you know it or not.

I'd rather not open myself up to having to deal with it.

gull
May 7th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by swimmer
There are some rather ugly folks that post here whether you know it or not.

We prefer to say "cosmetically challenged."

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by gull80
But we know where you live, Swampthing.

No you don't. You know what he put in his profile. Just like we don't know that Doc really lives in Cheyenne. Anyone can put practically anything they want in their profile. Nobody checks it.

Because of the nature of this site most likely what you read is probably factual but there are no absolutes here.

I admit to be overly cautious to putting personal information out over the web. All swimmers are not good people and not only that anyone can read what's here. If people choose to do post more that's fine. I'll continue on my cautious ways. If that makes me CHICKEN... then I can live with it.

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 11:39 AM

We prefer to say "cosmetically challenged."

I need to work on my humor.

gull
May 7th, 2004, 11:53 AM

All swimmers are not good people. . .

Wait a minute, are you saying swimmers as a whole are not good people? Certainly not all people are good swimmers, even if they're good people, and not all swimmers are good (at swimming, that is), unless of course they're early bloomers.

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Wait a minute, are you saying swimmers as a whole are not good people? Certainly not all people are good swimmers, even if they're good people, and not all swimmers are good (at swimming, that is), unless of course they're early bloomers.

That's humor , right? I'm getting better all the time.

gull
May 7th, 2004, 12:10 PM

That's humor , right?

I don't know. I thought it was, but maybe we should take a poll.

dorothyrd
May 7th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Wow, surprised to see this still going.:) Caution is fine, and I do think swimmer is a much more serious person than some others on this board. Looks like he/she is learning humor though.

Must be lonely in Cheyenne, but you get the pick of the lanes right?

As far as good and bad people, yes I believe there are predators on the web, but having been in the swimming community for 9 years now(mostly age group), I have found it filled with wonderful people and the icky ones are pretty far and inbetween.

So geek, you really are a geek?:D

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by dorothyrd
Wow, surprised to see this still going.:) Caution is fine, and I do think swimmer is a much more serious person than some others on this board. Looks like he/she is learning humor though.

Must be lonely in Cheyenne, but you get the pick of the lanes right?

As far as good and bad people, yes I believe there are predators on the web, but having been in the swimming community for 9 years now(mostly age group), I have found it filled with wonderful people and the icky ones are pretty far and inbetween.

So geek, you really are a geek?:D

I'm trying to learn humor. Someone may have to alert me when they see it.

jim clemmons
May 7th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by "swimmer":

All swimmers are not good people. . .

I think you meant (my interpretation at least) is

"Not all swimmers are good people" - at least I hope that is what you were attempting to convey.

gull
May 7th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I think he left out a comma. It should read: "All swimmers are not good, people."

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by jim clemmons
Originally posted by "swimmer":

I think you meant (my interpretation at least) is

"Not all swimmers are good people" - at least I hope that is what you were attempting to convey.

That works.

jim clemmons
May 7th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Wonderful. Thanks for the clarification.

Conniekat8
May 7th, 2004, 01:42 PM
I think he left out a comma. It should read: "All swimmers are not good, people."

Good swimmers or good people? Are bad people better swimmers than good people or ae good people better swimmers than bad people. And what about those in the middle, who aren't really good or really bad? Don't we need another category for that before someone feels left out?

What's the water temperature today anyway - Warm or Cold?

Conniekat8
May 7th, 2004, 01:49 PM
1. Post a controversy.
2. Hide your identity.
3. Wonder why it raised an eyebrow.

Does this really need a detailed explanation?

Also, it's not the matter whether someone is allowed to do certain things. The thing is, certain actions are most likely to provoke reactions (consequences).
Being allowed to do something does not mean there are no reactions of consequences. Just means there are no drastic or official penalties.

Also, if one is sensitive to the opinions of others, then it is safer for them to keep distance from controversy.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Conniekat8
1. Post a controversy.
2. Hide your identity.
3. Wonder why it raised an eyebrow.

Does this really need a detailed explanation?

Also, it's not the matter whether someone is allowed to do certain things. The thing is, certain actions are most likely to provoke reactions (consequences).
Being allowed to do something does not mean there are no reactions of consequences. Just means there are no drastic or official penalties.

Also, if one is sensitive to the opinions of others, then it is safer for them to keep distance from controversy.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

I'm not sure which subject you're commenting on but there are some things in here I agree with.

I agree with you about reactions. Getting up on a soap box almost always will invoke reactions. Seems to me we are both prone to that.

As for the #1-3. I need a further explanation.

gull
May 7th, 2004, 01:58 PM
It's kind of like the sign, "No dogs please." Without a comma, it implies that dogs aren't pleasing, which many dog lovers would disagree with.

Howard
May 7th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Seems like two good sides. Some like to be more visible and some don't. Coming from the outside, I don't know the identities of swimmer or Conniekat8.

Conniekat8
May 7th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Howard
Seems like two good sides. Some like to be more visible and some don't. Coming from the outside, I don't know the identities of swimmer or Conniekat8.

Atr the bottom of each posted message there is a button titled "profile". Anyone on the board can go in there and read it. You can put down where you're from, where you swim, your email address etc.

Howard
May 7th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I see! Thanks. I still don't know who you are though.

Phil Arcuni
May 7th, 2004, 03:47 PM
My excuse for not being anonymous is lack of creativity in making up an alias, so you will have to live with the disappointment of knowing who I am.

so how would you parse the following sentence:?

"A woman without her man is nothing."

I understand women and men punctuate it differently. Any takers? suggestions shortly.

old dog
May 7th, 2004, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gull80
[B]It's kind of like the sign, "No dogs please." Without a comma, it implies that dogs aren't pleasing...

Now wait just a doggone minute!

;)

old dog
May 7th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Conniekat8

Good swimmers or good people? Are bad people better swimmers than good people or ae good people better swimmers than bad people. And what about those in the middle, who aren't really good or really bad? Don't we need another category for that before someone feels left out?

What's the water temperature today anyway - Warm or Cold?

Connie's been hanging around with Tommy too long! :p

jim clemmons
May 7th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Phil Arcuni (whom I know personally btw):

so how would you phrase the following sentence:?

"A woman without her man is nothing."

Phil,

Try it this way:

"A woman without; her man is nothing."

:cool:

Jim

Tom Ellison
May 7th, 2004, 04:21 PM
I'm lost again....

old dog
May 7th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I'm lost again....

...are not...

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by jim clemmons
Originally posted by Phil Arcuni (whom I know personally btw):

Phil,

Try it this way:

"A woman without; her man is nothing."

:cool:

Jim

I think there is an extra blank.

"A woman without herman is nothing."

gull
May 7th, 2004, 04:34 PM
A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Conniekat8
May 7th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by old dog

Connie's been hanging around with Tommy too long! :p

It's the 'Ellison Anomaly' :D I think I'm getting caught in it. ;)

Someone please hand me a bottle of VO2MAX to sniff, I think I'm about to pass out.

Conniekat8
May 7th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Smart Man !!!!! ;) :p

Tom Ellison
May 7th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Silly...you don't sniff VO2MAX....

Old Dog...Am too...

Conniekat8
May 7th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I'm lost again....
It's okay, they're talking about girls... you'll catch on in a hurry ;)

Tom Ellison
May 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM
A shoe brush....and a piano....both share a fundamental comparison or likeness….

Neither one can climb a tree….

And yes, it is the same tree that fell in the forest when no one was there to hear it fall....

Tom Ellison
May 7th, 2004, 04:43 PM
I

am

not

so sure about that...

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Admit it. You looked it up!

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pw240/some_words/woman.html

kaelonj
May 7th, 2004, 04:46 PM
This thread is starting to resemble a joke I know(my apologies if I offend anyone, I think I suffer from ADHD which makes this thread even harder to follow).

Question: How many ADHD children does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer: Hey bike riding sounds fun !!!

Anyways back to our regularly scheduled program.

Jeff

dorothyrd
May 7th, 2004, 04:54 PM

I think there is an extra blank.

"A woman without herman is nothing."

You got me, I am laughing!!:D

Tom Ellison
May 7th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I will leave you folks with this saying that makes perfect sense here:

I aint got none, but, when I get some, I will give you any….

Tom Ellison
May 7th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Old Dog...Connie....who's this Herman guy?

swimmer
May 7th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by dorothyrd

You got me, I am laughing!!:D

See, I know humor.

gull
May 7th, 2004, 05:47 PM

Admit it. You looked it up!

I did not. I'm just a sensitive guy (and I did well in English back in my early blooming days).

By the way, "Phil Arcuni" (as you call yourself), drop the charade and tell us who you really are. Or are you too scared?

dorothyrd
May 7th, 2004, 06:12 PM

See, I know humor.

Yes you do. The forum format sure can squelch dry wit, can't it!

Tom Ellison
May 7th, 2004, 07:06 PM
I had wit once....

Scansy
May 7th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I had wit once....

Yeah right!

Scansy
May 7th, 2004, 07:12 PM

I did not. I'm just a sensitive guy (and I did well in English back in my early blooming days).

By the way, "Phil Arcuni" (as you call yourself), drop the charade and tell us who you really are. Or are you too scared?

So you are an early bloomer at english? Is there a shampoo for those of us who aren't?:confused:

dorothyrd
May 7th, 2004, 08:05 PM
No you need the stuff that weighs you down so us last bloomers can catch you.

Conniekat8
May 7th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Old Dog...Connie....who's this Herman guy?
I dunno, noone has come to claim her yet.
How long before herman gets a clue.

Conniekat8
May 7th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Scansy

So you are an early bloomer at english? Is there a shampoo for those of us who aren't?:confused:

You mean your Mommy never told you about the Alphabet soup?
Well, it's never too late to start blooming.

Conniekat8
May 7th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by kaelonj
This thread is starting to resemble a joke I know(my apologies if I offend anyone, I think I suffer from ADHD which makes this thread even harder to follow).

Question: How many ADHD children does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer: Hey bike riding sounds fun !!!

Anyways back to our regularly scheduled program.

Jeff

What?

SwimR4Rent
May 7th, 2004, 09:55 PM
'gull80' says

I swear that 'Phil Arcuni' is who he says he is.

I should know, I swim for him at every meet!

(good money, too)

old dog
May 7th, 2004, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Conniekat8

I dunno, noone has come to claim her yet.
How long before herman gets a clue. [/QUOTE

"Herman" is a merman...;)

gull
May 8th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Scansy

Actually what I meant was that I did well in English courses when I wasn't in the pool growing a third aorta.

Scansy
May 8th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Actually what I meant was that I did well in English courses when I wasn't in the pool growing a third aorta.

Wow, a third aorta! That must come in handy!:)

Tom Ellison
May 8th, 2004, 08:41 AM
After rereading the posts on this thread....what I have left of my brain…..they could fill my brain cavity with gas and it wouldn't be enough to power and ant’s lawn mover half way around a BB.....Talk about self-deprecating humor…;)

Scansy
May 8th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Humor..... what humor?:confused:

Tom Ellison
May 8th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Gosh Paul, I thought it was humor…I’ve been laughing….should I not have been laughing…? Heck, I could be lost again...Am not, yes you are, no I am not, yes you are..am not, are so....not, so..

gull
May 8th, 2004, 01:06 PM
There's nothing funny about having three aortas, it's just part of the early blooming process.

I believe "Paul Smith" has at least four.

2go+h20
May 8th, 2004, 03:10 PM
As we age, and train. Stay fit and healthy, happy and balanced,
learning more and developing new skills, are we are more than late or early bloomers? Everlasting?? Perennial bloomers?

swimr4life
May 8th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evergreens!....at least our hair!

aschueler
May 8th, 2004, 07:18 PM
This is one of the more amusing LONG series I have seen in a while, and couldn't help but interject some.

Gull80: if I remember correctly, you are a physician; I assume you know how uncommon it is for a physician to be good at either grammar, spelling, or language skills at all; most focus so much on sciences through school they suffer in this regard. Kinda neat.

For my $0.02: I use aschueler as my username for essentially every board I visit and decide to join up with; the reason is simple: I can remember it! It's my name, essentially, but I do not usually make my full official name easily public to avoid junk email and / or unwanted contacts. To put it simply, this board (and most of them) give you the ability to send a private message to anyone, and then you can decide from there whether to tell someone your real name/email/etc or not.

With regard to swimmers: my opinion is that swimmers are like fisherman. Good people in general.

Scansy
May 8th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by aschueler

With regard to swimmers: my opinion is that swimmers are like fisherman. Good people in general.

I thought you were going to say they both smell like fish!:D

gull
May 9th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by 2go+h20
As we age, and train. Stay fit and healthy, happy and balanced,
learning more and developing new skills, are we are more than late or early bloomers? Everlasting?? Perennial bloomers?

No.

You're either early or late.

Sorry, I don't make the rules.