PDA

View Full Version : Body hair

Old Shark
May 9th, 2004, 10:23 PM
I swim 4000 - 5000 meters 3-4 times a week. My mile clocks in at about 27-28 minutes. The only resistances I can think of with that time are a standard boxer type suit and a fair amount of body hair (scalp hair is medium length). I'm not sure how much time I could expect to cut if I addressed those resistances.

I was thinking of entering competition for the 50+ age group. Does anyone know what times I can expect the others in my age group to be at? And would shaving off body hair put me in competition? I can change the suit but don't want to shave it all off if it's not going to put me in the upper 25% or so. I'm 53 and and am feeling my time is about done and I just wanted to do something I can look back on proudly.

Thanks

Bob McAdams
May 10th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Using a competition suit is likely to cut more off your time than shaving your body hair.

If you want to know how your times stack up, I'd suggest going to the home page of this site and clicking on "Results.net" and "Nationals" under "Competition", and then look for race results in your age group. Be aware that the swimmers who compete at Nationals tend to be better than the average swimmers who compete in local meets.

I'm not sure why, at age 53, you feel that your "time is about done". There are plety of swimmers who are significantly older than you are who are still going strong.