PDA

View Full Version : Got Sick, what do I do now?

lefty
May 18th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Okay first a few stats: When I am training "hard" I swim 18-20K per week in 5 workouts, with one wokrout being only 2K of technique work. I trained hard from Jan to March and swam pretty well at a taper meet. Generally I think that I need 10 weeks of hard training, followed by a 10 day taper to have a succesful taper meet.

Well, first I got sick and now that I am almost better I will be going out of town for 10 days. I have no chance at having a succesful training for my big summer meet because it is now only 8 weeks off. Facot in a taper and I am only going to get 6 weeks of hard work minus 10 days off. So my question is:

How much yardage should I do NOW so that when the fall rolls around and I start training for my next big meet I am not starting over? I don't have the mental energy to commit to full training, but I don't want to lose gound. Thoughts...

swimrat
May 18th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Is gym time out of the question when you're out of town for those 10 days? There are lots of things you can do in the gym with weights and cardio and it won't affect your swim training when you can get back into the pool later.

Good Luck.

Ryan@ICoachSwimming
May 20th, 2004, 06:19 PM
I mean this playfully and mostly jokingly, but, umm.. suck it up. So you have 8 weeks instead of 10? I don't see that as a reason to completely pass over the end of season meet. Even if you don't do your best, you will probably be best prepared for the fall season if you go through training for the meet. That way, you'll get endurance work in, sprint work in, and have something to look forward to.

But, if you don't want to do that, then I would suggest plan a time trial for yourself 11 weeks from now. train for 10 weeks, taper for one week, and then get up and race yourself or with some friends. Make it meaningful.

Now, here's the trick - after the time trial, DON'T TAKE ANY TIME OFF! Lots of swimmers take time off after a season ending meet. BIG MISTAKE. A full taper, plus time off absoultely kills what you've gained over a season. Instead, go into a RECOVERY TRAINING phase where you focus on aerobic activity, drill work, whatever. Nothing stressful, just don't stop swimming. You're "resting" but you're not losing your feel for the water. Say you do that for 2 weeks, so now you're at 13 weeks from today. In those 13 weeks, you will be better prepared than any of your competitiors who enter the meet 8 weeks from now, taper, and then take time off.

After those two recovery weeks, if you wanted, you could even take a week off then. A week of rest won't blow your season, but a taper plus time off can set you back.

Hope this helps!

Ryan@ICoachSwimming.com
www.ICoachSwimming.com (http://www.icoachswimming.com)
We're trying to get 400 unique visitors for the month of May!

lefty
May 21st, 2004, 05:12 PM
Ryan, the problem with sucking it up is that I train by myself. So call me weak minded or whatever but that simply is not possible. In defense of myself (I know you said you were joking but...) I think that I work harder than 95% of those who train alone.

As for the time trial suggestion- with no blocks - wouldn't cut it for me. I don't have access to any of the facilities necessary for a time trial.

So I guess what I am saying is, I appreciate the response but what I really want to know is how much does one need to train and not fear losing "it." Not sure what "it" is though!

I agree 100% that you should not take a break after a big meet. I take Monday off after a big meet and reduce my meterage by 30%, but there is NO way I would simply stop swimming.

gull
May 23rd, 2004, 06:08 AM
From what I've read you can lose the physiological adaptations to training ("it") pretty fast such that it takes at least as long to regain them as it did to acquire them (remember the early vs. late bloomer debate). If I understand your question, I'd treat this as a long season and focus on building/rebulding an endurance base(En 1 sets, descending some to En 2 or 3 at the end). Since you're a sprinter you should do some sprinting every day and once or twice a week a lactate production set. I think in four weeks you'll be back where you were (something similar happened to me in December).

coach guy
May 25th, 2004, 03:17 PM
what I would do is focus on my sprint training. It sounds like you have your endurance base down. Lower your distance, increase rest and intensity. 6 weeks is a perfect mesocycle for sprinting. You can still have a great taper meet.

knelson
May 25th, 2004, 05:23 PM
I took a week off training after my taper meet and I'm definitely paying the price now. It feels like my aerobic base just went out the window. People I could beat easily before are now kicking my butt.

A teammate who tapered for the same meet, but swam a couple days the following week picked up right where he left off!

It's definitely a tough price to pay for a one week vacation from swimming :(

geochuck
August 3rd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Most master swimmers I know don't workout enough to taper. They workout 3 times a week for up to 90 minutes and the coaches have them standing at the end of the pool for at lest 20 of those minutes.

George Park www.swimdownhill.com