PDA

View Full Version : Tempe Town Lake Swim - June 12, 2004

mbmg3282
May 22nd, 2004, 05:41 PM
DCB Extreme Adventures is pleased host the Tempe Town Lake Open Water Swims in Tempe, AZ. There will be two races offered on June 12th in conjunction with the Fat Tire Triathlon.

The first swim is the 3200-meter Dam to Dam Race. Swimmers will be ferried by tour boat to the east dam and jump in for the start. They will swim the entire length of the lake along the south boat wall, cross the lake at the west dam and come back up the lake on the north side. The race will finish on a sandy beach.

The second race is a 1600-meter swim on a triangular course. There you will start in the water, swim two laps and exit onto a boat ramp.

The 1600-meter race will start at 7:30 and the Dam to Dam swim will start at 9:00. Athletes wishing to participate in both races will be allowed to do so. In addition to masters swimmers, these races have also been sanctioned by USA Swimming. At this time, we are planning on swimming all ages together, but we will score them separately for awards.

For entry information, go to http://www.public.asu.edu/~mbmg3282/OpenWater/

Questions, contact swim coordinator Mark Gill at (480) 775-1485 or email at markgill@usms.org

Perkunas
May 25th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but please describe the Tempe Town Lake. I live in a Northern state, and have difficulty visualizing natural bodies of water in the Phoenix area. What air and water temperatures are expected? How many usually participate in this event? There's a possibility I could arrange some business travel through Phoenix to participate in the race.

mbmg3282
May 26th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Tempe Town Lake was formed in the dried up river bed of the Salt River several years ago. The Salt River is dry due to dams build further upstream to create other lakes.

The lake water is brought in via canal from the Colorado River. Actually, there are several lakes around the Phoenix area that are maintained by these canals.

Tempe Town Lake is approximately two miles long and about 400 - 500 meters wide. The depth ranges from 9 feet to 20 feet. Water temperature on race day is expected to be 80. Air tempature will probably be in the 80's at the time of the race.

We are expecting 100+ swimmers in the event. In addition to masters swimmers we will also have USA Swimmers participating in the event.

If you are a triathlete, this was the site of the Rio Salado Triathlon last Sunday. That race was part of the Race to Athens series. The city of Tempe has been very aggressive in increasing utilization of the lake. In 2004, there will be 20 triathlons and open water races held on the lake.

For more information about the lake visit http://www.tempe.gov/rio/. The site also shows the before and after pictures of the lake. The video shows footage from a number of the races that have taken place in the past two months.

Mark Gill
Swim Coordinator

mbmg3282
June 17th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Results from the races this past weekend on Tempe Town Lake are now posted at http://www.public.asu.edu/~mbmg3282/OpenWater/ This year's race was more than twice the size of last year's proving that we do have open water racing in the desert.

Congratulations to all who took part in the race. We are planning on using the tour boats to ferry swimmers to the starting line again in the next race. That event will be October 2nd and the finish line is right at the entry to the city's Oktoberfest Celebration. Hope to see you there.

Mark Gill
Swim Coordinator

Randy Nutt
June 18th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Go figure a guy from Florida going to Tempe, AZ for an open water swim? -I did and it was a blast!!! I participated last October, finishing at the Octoberfest celebration and was a spectator this past weekend. I would highly reccomend you add this to your "to do" list of open water events.